Question for all, - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for all,

Quote Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
    If you pull your gun its to shoot it, in fear for your life or the life of another. not to play cop. A court might say because you where prepared to detain someone you where looking for trouble. Id keep them at home for your GF
    Quoted for truth! You aren't a LEO, 'nuff said.

3. these are all very interesting responses, I would have originally said "go ahead, as long as it is legal to have them then who cares... the self defensive case should be judged on the facts"

However after reading these comments I would have to agree, leave them at home. Unless you have a hot date

Wink One exception to all of these.....

Quote Originally Posted by scdapmp View Post
    these are all very interesting responses, I would have originally said "go ahead, as long as it is legal to have them then who cares... the self defensive case should be judged on the facts"

However after reading these comments I would have to agree, leave them at home. Unless you have a hot date
    If your cuffs are fur-lined, then you are good to go.....

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

5. As a general rule, I don't carry anything that can be pointed at and argued that I was trying to be a cop. Cuffs, badges of any kind etc. If my firearm comes out, there is either going to be a corpse, or the BG will have run away. I'm not about to chase after him to detain him, so I won't need the cuffs. If the BG is in my house, he's either a corpse, or I'll just secure him with a roll of good old duct tape. Redneck handcuffs-gotta love it...
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"

Thumb cuffs.

I am not a LEO so I will not detain anyone. I will also never hold anyone at gun point. If (God forbid) I ever have to un - holster my weapon someone will be killed or wounded. I will only un-holster it in the face of loosing my own life or the lives of others are at stake..end of discussion.
    You need to re-think you position here. You will only find yourself locked up and in big trouble if you think that this is OK.

7. Thanks for the help, I didn't think of it that way. Seems ridiculous but I know you guys are right, lol I mean If I wanted to be a cop, I'd become a cop. Some people in our justice system are blind by their own bias, and seldom listen to reason. So yea, I want all the facts in my favor, and not leave myself open to their spin of why I would carry thumb locks.

Thanks again.

P.S. I miss Packing.org but this is a very good replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Forget the cuffs but perhaps carry a hand cuff key.
    a bobby pin works just fine to open cuffs. and would probably get less crap for having a bobby pin on you than cuff keys.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomboy007 View Post
    If you pull a firearm, it should be in fear of immediate assault. Once the threat has passed, the legal issue of detaining someone is best left to the police. Of course, there are myriad reasons and exceptions to this rule, but I think that you should leave the cuffs at home. Maybe you could pack a little ammo instead.

Worst case scenario is that you have to defend yourself with deadly force. When the responding officers respond, they will disarm you, search your person, and either arrest you or take you in for a statement (you already know not to say anything without your lawyer being present, right?). If and when the case goes to court, Mr. or Ms. District Attorney hold up your thumbcuffs (which you never even removed from your pocket) and tells the jury that you are obviously a cop wannabe out looking for trouble so that you could dispense some vigilante justice. Don't believe it?

Breaking News | Latest News | Current News - FOXNews.com
    I agree. It is unfortunate though.
    -Austin

It's already been stated and I do touch on this in my classes.

Unless you're a LEO or in a civilian professional where you may need them and on duty (i.e. bail enforcement or private security) I would reserve them for recreational purposes as previously stated in this thread.

You open yourself up for all sorts of civil and criminal liability issues if you use your CCW for detention purposes.

If the subject runs, be a good witness and contact 911.

There are also ways to detain someone without the use of restraint devices (i.e. stomach down, ankles crossed, palms up towards the ceiling or sky).
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Lightbulb Ah, NOW I see your problem.....

Quote Originally Posted by J_Frame View Post
    Thanks for the help, I didn't think of it that way. Seems ridiculous but I know you guys are right, lol I mean If I wanted to be a cop, I'd become a cop. Some people in our justice system are blind by their own bias, and seldom listen to reason.
    Your issue was that you were trying to apply logic or common sense. Those are so 1776! Sadly, it's a new age.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast