Question for all,
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for all,

1. Question for all,

I need to get your guys opinion on this, I always carry a pair of thumbcuffs, they are very tiny but so effective.
    The reason I carry it, is for situations where I have friends with me and something happens, I could hold whoever at gun point while one of my friends could tie his thumbs together, during which me or someone else calls 911.

Is carrying thumbcuffs a good idea? It just seems that having more options in such a chaotic situation, like a potential self defense scenario would be a good idea.
    Last edited by J_Frame; 04-13-2009 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Fixing errors

Thumbs down My advice is to forego the cuffs.....

If you pull a firearm, it should be in fear of immediate assault. Once the threat has passed, the legal issue of detaining someone is best left to the police. Of course, there are myriad reasons and exceptions to this rule, but I think that you should leave the cuffs at home. Maybe you could pack a little ammo instead.

Worst case scenario is that you have to defend yourself with deadly force. When the responding officers respond, they will disarm you, search your person, and either arrest you or take you in for a statement (you already know not to say anything without your lawyer being present, right?). If and when the case goes to court, Mr. or Ms. District Attorney hold up your thumbcuffs (which you never even removed from your pocket) and tells the jury that you are obviously a cop wannabe out looking for trouble so that you could dispense some vigilante justice. Don't believe it?

Breaking News | Latest News | Current News - FOXNews.com
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

4. If you pull your gun its to shoot it, in fear for your life or the life of another. not to play cop. A court might say because you where prepared to detain someone you where looking for trouble. Id keep them at home for your GF

Agreed with BoomBoy007 and rockwerk, you should only pull your firearm to defend yourself or someone else. You should not use your weapon to detain someone, you may be considered impersonating a police officer.

If your state supports Castle Doctrine, then I'd leave the thumbcuffs in the house or your place of business. It would be a pain to hold a weapon on the criminals while waiting for the police to arrive, not to mention waiting and explaining everything to 911.

Talking Leave them at home

Agreed with BoomBoy007 and rockwerk, you should only pull your firearm to defend yourself or someone else. You should not use your weapon to detain someone, you may be considered impersonating a police officer.

If your state supports Castle Doctrine, then I'd leave the thumbcuffs in the house or your place of business. It would be a pain to hold a weapon on the criminals while waiting for the police to arrive, not to mention waiting and explaining everything to 911.

I am in the business of stopping a threat, not detaining a threat.

If I pull my gun it goes BANG

In a nutshell, I'd say forget the cuffs. They open you up to a whole new bunch of civil and criminal liabilities. Leave the arresting to the Police.
    Last edited by Ironhorse; 04-14-2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: unfinished
    When it comes to handguns, there are Sig Sauers, then there's everything else.

Forget the cuffs but perhaps carry a hand cuff key.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Cool

Depending on where you live, city ordinances usually forbid possession of handcuffs or handcuff keys. Better check it out if you continue to carry them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast