Frangible Ammo- Is It Worth It? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frangible Ammo- Is It Worth It?

I like to shoot at least 50 or more trouble free rounds through an autoloader with any given load before I'm comfortable with that load in that pistol.
    I don't use "frangible" ammo in pistols.

If I lived in an appartment, condo, or duplex I would consider frangible ammo in a revlover. For example, the MagSafe 38 +P+ MAX fired in a .357; this load can penetrate 11'' of jellatin. I would still fire a cylinder of it to make sure the primers weren't too hard ect...

I carried the MagSafe non+p Defender in my J frame Smith 442 for a long time, but recently I've switched back to regular hollow points. I just wasn't sure the MagSafe would provide adequate penetration against a large felon (who could be wearing a leather jacket). It penetrates 9'' in bare ballistic jellatin, according to the book Street Stoppers, but the photo shows the majority of the load is done in 6'' with small only pieces making it to the 9'' mark.
    Last edited by CDW4ME; 04-26-2009 at 04:04 PM. Reason: typo

In terms of fangable ammo, I would favor Glassers over magsafe because the Glasser rounds tend to be closer to the standard bullet weights for the particular caliber in question. This leads to less issues WRT point of impact differences and cycle reliability. As with any ammo, test it in your carry weapon for cycle reliability and point of impact.

I'm glad to find this thread. I just had a miserable experience at the range with some BVAC frangible ammo; 3 FTEs out of just under 100 rounds in my Walther P99.

Granted, with the BVAC stuff, I was dealing with reloaded brass as well as the frangible bullet and reduced power load, but a malfunction of any kind with that Walther is something I'd never experienced before and from what I've read is almost unheard of.

I'd guess that the reduced powder load prevented effective ejection, or that the once-fired brass caused excessive expansion - or both. Still, end result is my confidence in frangible loads in a self-defense weapon is practically nil.

I've still got about 300 rounds of the stuff. I'll try running it through my Beretta the next time I go out and keep it around for training, but it is not going into a carry weapon and I will not buy another batch.

Buyer beware.

Quote Originally Posted by PascalFleischman View Post
    If you're worried about missing and having a shot pass through the walls, practice more.
    This is the most asinine comment I've ever read.

6. I have the first two rounds of Glassers in any home defense pistols. As they are all .357 mag, .357 Sig, .45acp, .40 and ya one 9mm, I feel that in Southern Calif. where heavy coats are not needed and the longest shot in my home area would be less than 20 feet. Well, there will be penetration a plenty. Now outside the home, they are hollow points and the last one always a solid. Just the way I think.

Quote Originally Posted by uscg4good View Post
    +1 on that.

Quote Originally Posted by uscg4good View Post
    +1

Everbody misses sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Everbody misses sometime.
    Like PascalFleischman did when (s)he posted that.

All evidence to date suggests that they are not effective in real world use.

There are certain environments such as in prisons, etc where they might have a niche.

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey View Post
    Frangible ammo is kinda gimmicky.
    It has a very limited practical application. Especially when used in handguns.

I could justify it's use by air marshals, I guess.
    Beat me to it. LOL
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast