Frangible Ammo- Is It Worth It? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Frangible Ammo- Is It Worth It?

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    All evidence to date suggests that they are not effective in real world use.

There are certain environments such as in prisons, etc where they might have a niche.

-Doc
    Most prisoners are not wearing leather jackets BTW.

NO...not worth cost for benefits....unless for home defense in an apartment complex....but then i think #7 or #8 birdshot and a shot gun would be a whole lot better choice

** 15 bucks for 6 rounds means 250 bucks to make sure it cycles in ur auto loader (100 round minimum b4 i rely on it)...which most frangibles have issues with on variety of firearms...
    so other than a very few specific cases....like on airplanes tho not really needed since a bullet hole won't depressurize a plane....and even a frangible is going to cause enough damage that something would need to be repaired....don't see planes flying around with bullet holes in them:)

** in all honesty a shotshell round or snake round would make more sense and cost way less for most of the "special situations" since most of them would want the bad guy to live to question about if he had any partners...

I have a lot of 5.56x45 frangible ammo. Penetrates both pumpkins and watermelons real nice at 100yds. Seems to break up on the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge43 View Post
    I have a lot of 5.56x45 frangible ammo. Penetrates both pumpkins and watermelons real nice at 100yds. Seems to break up on the way out.
    I have yet to get attacked by either a pumpkin or a watermelon, but thanks for the info.

Just trying to give a clue as to penetration. I doubt you have ever been attacked at all.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Most prisoners are not wearing leather jackets BTW.
    No but they fashion body armor from reading materials.

Glasers were tested to penetrate several layers of magazines and still expand in gelatin.

-Doc

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123