Accidental Discharge question - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: Accidental Discharge question

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Sounds like the firing pin was stuck forward, turned it into an open bolt 1911 machine gun.

    that was my best guess to....man that thing cycled fast ...8 or 9 rounds in what seemed like 2 seconds

  2.   
  3. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Vegas View Post
    I had a 1911 discharge on me one time. I was out in the field doin some shooting and loaded a clip. It belonged to a buddy of mine so I can't remember who it was made by but anyway I slid the clip in raised the gun, pointed it at the target and dropped the slide with the slide release....no finger on trigger and about 8 rounds fired off like it was a full auto it only quit because it finally failed to feed a round..!!! I still don't know what the hell caused it but it scared the hell outa me..
    a friend of mine had that happen with his SKS. he was taking some young men from church on a shooting activity and the firing pin was stuck. so even with no finger on the trigger it emptied the mag in full auto fire. one of the young men was shooting it at the time so my friend reached over quick and grabbed the barrel to keep it from rising.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sunny South Florida
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Vegas View Post
    I had a 1911 discharge on me one time. I was out in the field doin some shooting and loaded a clip. It belonged to a buddy of mine so I can't remember who it was made by but anyway I slid the clip in raised the gun, pointed it at the target and dropped the slide with the slide release....no finger on trigger and about 8 rounds fired off like it was a full auto it only quit because it finally failed to feed a round..!!! I still don't know what the hell caused it but it scared the hell outa me..
    Accidental right?? Not likely in the eyes of the ATF, the nearest agent would see that at "converting a 1911 handgun to full automatic". See in government land there is no "accidental" anything ... only sinister crimes.

  5. #14
    wolfhunter Guest
    I'm still trying to figure out where to put a clip in a 1911. Sounds like a conversion to me.

  6. I agree that there ALWAYS exists the possibility that a mechanical malfunction will cause a gun to fire accidently. That is one of the reasons for ALWAYS pointing the muzzle AWAY from anything you don't wish to destroy AT ALL TIMES - NO EXCEPTIONS!

    I also agree, however, that the majority of discharges not intentional are, in fact, caused by negligence on the part of the shooter.
    Stay safe - DW
    NRA Endowment Member
    Retired Fed

  7. #16
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cajun Land
    Posts
    367
    If you bought the rifle "used", someone may have "adjusted" the trigger. It's a common problem. If the trigger has been tampered with, it can happen when the safety is released, or if you pull the trigger with the safety on, release the trigger and flip the safety off. The pressure you applied to the sear with the trigger adjusted too light, my be just enough to cause it to let go, when the safety is flipped off. May need a gunsmith or factory check if you don't know how to check it yourself.
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

  8. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911 Headbanger View Post
    If you bought the rifle "used", someone may have "adjusted" the trigger. It's a common problem. If the trigger has been tampered with, it can happen when the safety is released, or if you pull the trigger with the safety on, release the trigger and flip the safety off. The pressure you applied to the sear with the trigger adjusted too light, my be just enough to cause it to let go, when the safety is flipped off. May need a gunsmith or factory check if you don't know how to check it yourself.
    Remington recognized the problem and had a recall on all model 700's that would not unbolt with the safety on. It was not a recall but an offer for any owner that they would either repair or replace the trigger along with modifying it to allow the bolt to open with the safety on for a charge of $10. Luckily I live near an authorized Remington repair center and dropped it off one day and picked it up the next. Got a thorough cleaning along with a new trigger for $10.

  9. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out where to put a clip in a 1911. Sounds like a conversion to me.
    The only handgun that I know of that used clips was the Mauser Broomhandle.

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    The only handgun that I know of that used clips was the Mauser Broomhandle.
    Didn't know that they made any semi-auto handguns that used "clips". Thought they were restricted to revolvers.


    Semi-auto handgun with a "clip"

    Difference between a "clip" and "magazine"



    gf
    Last edited by Glock Fan; 03-11-2010 at 02:54 PM. Reason: added graphics
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

  11. #20
    Slam fires with military-style firearms like the SKS and AR are more common because they do not have springs to hold back the firing pin like most sporting rifles.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast