Accidental Discharge question - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Accidental Discharge question

1. Talk about mechanical malfuntions. An acquaintance of mine bought a used 45 colt from an individual. He loaded the magazine, inserted it, and jacked a round in the chamber. It not only slammed fired, but continued to fire until empty. Took out his refrigerator.

4. Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I posted this under this forum because the quote above was in it and I don'y necessarily agree with it. A while back I bought a used Remington 700 in 30-06. It appeared to be in good shape and seemed to work fine. I cleaned if good and carried it out to test it out. everything seemed to work fine. When I decided to pack back up I had one shot in the chanber and one in the magazine. I unloaded the magazine and proceeded to remove the one from the chamber. This was and older model 700 and you could not unlock the bolt with the safety engaged. I pointed the gun in a safe direction, flipped the safety off and the gun fired. Talk about scaring the stuffings out of someone.

Was this a negligent discharge. I suppose I could have had it checked out by a gunsmith before trying it out. I possibly could have looked up the notice that Remington was willing to pay for the modification to allow it to be unbolted with the safety on. I could have fired all the rounds in it before packing up but that may have caused real problems.

I did take it bakc home and found that taking the safety off would cause it to fire about 1 out of 10 times and after a thorough cleaning and adjusting of the trigger it didn't do it any more.

Negligence is when your actions are not those of a normal responsible person. How many of you take very used gun you buy to a gunsmith to have fully checked out? I think there are some cases of accidental discharge.
    I figure it this way.

IF THE GUN BREAKS OR MALFUNCTIONS (ie., slam fire due to a firing pin sticking),it's an ACCIDENT if the malfunction is happening for the FIRST time.

IF THE GUN BREAKS OR MALFUNCTIONS and the malfunction has occurred before, it's NEGLIGENCE.

Pretty much EVERY OTHER REASON IS NEGLIGENCE as far as I'm concerned.

Improper firearms handling is NEGLIGENCE.

Putting a Glock together with a round in the chamber is NEGLIGENCE.

Shouldn't have a round in the chamber when putting the rifle away anyway.

I'm not buying this story.
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ropadope View Post
    Shouldn't have a round in the chamber when putting the rifle away anyway.

I'm not buying this story.
    Are you talking about my story? My SUV was parked 5' from where I was shooting. I was trying to get the round out of the chamber to put it away as you are recommending. Or were you referencing some other post? Any more DA comments?

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I posted this under this forum because the quote above was in it and I don'y necessarily agree with it. A while back I bought a used Remington 700 in 30-06. It appeared to be in good shape and seemed to work fine. I cleaned if good and carried it out to test it out. everything seemed to work fine. When I decided to pack back up I had one shot in the chanber and one in the magazine. I unloaded the magazine and proceeded to remove the one from the chamber. This was and older model 700 and you could not unlock the bolt with the safety engaged. I pointed the gun in a safe direction, flipped the safety off and the gun fired. Talk about scaring the stuffings out of someone.

Was this a negligent discharge. I suppose I could have had it checked out by a gunsmith before trying it out. I possibly could have looked up the notice that Remington was willing to pay for the modification to allow it to be unbolted with the safety on. I could have fired all the rounds in it before packing up but that may have caused real problems.

I did take it bakc home and found that taking the safety off would cause it to fire about 1 out of 10 times and after a thorough cleaning and adjusting of the trigger it didn't do it any more.

Negligence is when your actions are not those of a normal responsible person. How many of you take very used gun you buy to a gunsmith to have fully checked out? I think there are some cases of accidental discharge.
    It seems to me I've seen this as a known problem with some. You need contact the manufacturer. This is not a negligent discharge in my mind.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    It seems to me I've seen this as a known problem with some. You need contact the manufacturer. This is not a negligent discharge in my mind.
    I found out later that it was a safety problem and a recall had been issued on that series of Rem. 700. I took it to a gunsmith who replaced the trigger assembly with the new version on Remington's $. I figured that the reason that I got the gun so cheap was because the previous owner knew of the problem but not the recall.

9. An excellent example of why all preowned firearms should be thoroughly checked out. I've handled at least 3 bolt action rifles of 2 different brands that had the trigger "adjusted" to the point that slamming the bolt forward or pulling the trigger then releasing the safety would cause the striker to fall. One customer refused to let me fix the problem commenting that he could live with it since the trigger worked for him-I had him sign a statement to that effect before allowing the rifle out of the door. He later had an AD and traded the rifle off- I certainly hope the next owner got it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post
    An excellent example of why all preowned firearms should be thoroughly checked out. I've handled at least 3 bolt action rifles of 2 different brands that had the trigger "adjusted" to the point that slamming the bolt forward or pulling the trigger then releasing the safety would cause the striker to fall. One customer refused to let me fix the problem commenting that he could live with it since the trigger worked for him-I had him sign a statement to that effect before allowing the rifle out of the door. He later had an AD and traded the rifle off- I certainly hope the next owner got it fixed.
    Nope. He had a negligent discharge, not accidental.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    Nope. He had a negligent discharge, not accidental.
    +1 or maybe a stupid discharge, couldn't be called ignorant.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast