How do I get the wife to stop saying......
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I get the wife to stop saying......

How do I get the wife to stop saying......

How do I get my wife to stop saying...."you don't need to take THAT" or "why do you still have THAT on?"
    She was supportive of me buying the firearm and supportive of me getting my CWP, but now that I have it she wants to me leave it at home unless I am going to "a bad neighborhood" or going to the office early or late.
    SC CWP
    Kimber Ultra II
    Taurus PT1911 ALR

Most places still say you can't simply shoot her so the easy solution is not available.

My wife knows and has seen my firearms (most of them anyway, there is one "long steel case" she refuses to look into, but the bear in my avatar is holding its contents), knows I have a permit, and knows that "sometimes" I am carrying a weapon, but to eliminate her phobia and my being questioned I simply adopted a the very simple policy of treating her the same as everyone else ... CONCEALED IS CONCEALED!

There is ZERO reason for me to open carry even in the living room. Yes it is MY house but it is also MY world and I don't open carry there. So if I carry on my person at home, I carry CONCEALED. There is a 9mm within my grasp as I type but if you were in my home at the moment you would not know it. When we come home from "being out" I generally go to the "other room" if I want to remove my weapon. The fact is most men's first motion upon entering their house is to go to the bathroom anyway.

Why do people feel the need to flaunt weapons at their spouses. I have a lot of freinds who ask the same question you did because they feel a need to strap a 1911 on their hip with a pair of shorts and a T-Shirt at the house. You tuck your t-shirt at the house but cover the butt outside?

If you wife doesn't like want to SEE the guns, does she not deserve the same respect you give the cashier at the grocery and CONCEAL your weapon.

My wife does not want to KNOW when I am carrying, if I make it obvious she will begin that questioning process. This is because guns in general make her nervous, and once I learned to respect that, I realized that by simply concealing from her all of it stopped because she never really KNOWS if I am armed or not ...

... but when we are out, and there is a slinky figure in the darkness behind us, I can feel that little flip of her eyes toward me and that simple little clothing adjustment we all make in preparation of potential danger is plenty to ease her mind at the moment saying ... Yes Dear, I have it covered ... without any actual communication at all. And at that moment I also know that she appreciates the simplicity of the solution ...

CONCEALED IS CONCEALED!

Every time you see an article or a news story about someone being attacked show her. Show her the ones with the bad outcome and also the ones when the presence of a firearm saved the day. Remind her there are no "good neighborhoods". Criminals don't stay in the bad "neighborhoods". If we were clairvoyant we all would just avoid the place where the trouble will happen but sense we are not it is best to be armed always and everywhere.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Great response "2bear"...
    One additional thought is the original poster stated "going to "a bad neighborhood" or going to the office early or late".
    My suggestion is to keep your eyes open on the news, or in the paper for articles where bad things happened in good places.. I wouldn't do this EVERYDAY, but just once in a while, when the article really applies to your point. The success of this will depend on whether your wife catches on to this as a pattern of action for you and whether she is the type to throw other articles back at you such as a kid getting shot, etc.
    So if you only do it once in a while, it may move her mentally away from the notion that bad things only happen in bad places or at bad times.

Good luck..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

I like the way you think HK, you beat me by 1 minute!!!
    I guess you are the quick draw between us!!!

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    I like the way you think HK, you beat me by 1 minute!!!
    I guess you are the quick draw between us!!!
    Well what is the old saying about great minds think a like?
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Your going to tell your wife that she is not clairvoyant HK???

Wow, you have much more courage than me!

Quote Originally Posted by 2beararms View Post
    Your going to tell your wife that she is not clairvoyant HK???

Wow, you have much more courage than me!
    In her case sometimes I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive1 View Post
    How do I get my wife to stop saying...."you don't need to take THAT" or "why do you still have THAT on?"
    She was supportive of me buying the firearm and supportive of me getting my CWP, but now that I have it she wants to me leave it at home unless I am going to "a bad neighborhood" or going to the office early or late.
    When I was waiting for my CHL in the mail, I carried around the house. My wife laughed at me, said I was like a kid waiting for Christmas. Since then, she/we have been through some incidents that caused her to re-think things. We are going to take her CHL class in a couple of weeks.

On a side note, I carry in a CB Supertuck. I told her I was going to get her a CB MiniTuck for her LCP. I couldn't believe it when she said OK.

Thumbs up

Get a hold of a copy or two of the NRA magazine the Rifleman or American Hunter and let her read some of the "Armed Citizen" stories in there. Those are the ones that are not broadcast nationwide.
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast