OK, people give me grief for the "bulge" when I carry concealed
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OK, people give me grief for the "bulge" when I carry concealed

OK, people give me grief for the "bulge" when I carry concealed

I frankly don't have the stones to carry openly, and people give me so much grief for the "bulge" by my hip when I carry concealed and holstered, that I've concluded that MY way of carrying openly is to "bulge" carry (I just coined that phrase). I think there are benefits and downsides to carrying openly. I have concluded that "bulge" carrying solves these.
    banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered-banking institutions more dangerous than standing armies

How do you concealed carry--sounds like it is OWB??? If so, consider IWB using a high-quality IWB holster. I use Tucker's "The Answer" holster, and it's very comfortable and I have never had anybody point out a bulge or otherwise indicate that I was printing or that they "made" me. Another excellent IWB holster is the Super Tuck.

Also, what is your carry firearm? I carry an XD-45C, and while it has a 4" barrel, the grip is shortened, leaving less to "bulge". It still has an 11+1 capacity, with a full-size backup magazine; more than enough rounds (one would pray) for any anticipated event.

4. Quote Originally Posted by repeal17thamendment View Post
    I frankly don't have the stones to carry openly, and people give me so much grief for the "bulge" by my hip when I carry concealed and holstered, that I've concluded that MY way of carrying openly is to "bulge" carry (I just coined that phrase). I think there are benefits and downsides to carrying openly. I have concluded that "bulge" carrying solves these.
    I recommend carrying something smaller then a shotgun.

Sounds like you need to get a better holster, even a good OWB (hell even a don hume) will keep the gun tight to your body and above your hip. Or get a good IWB. Lots of guys here like the crossbreed supertucks, Comp-tacs are good, I like high noon holsters as well. I know you can completely conceal a full size 1911 under an unbuttoned over shirt, so gun size shouldn't be an issue unless youre trying to conceal a desert eagle or something. The whole point of carrying concealed is to not let anyone know youre packin.

Sounds like you intentionally want people to know that you are carrying. ("Bulge Carrying")

Can you explain why that is?

Quote Originally Posted by daBluman View Post
    Sounds like you intentionally want people to know that you are carrying. ("Bulge Carrying")

I explained that in the op

Several people are suggesting iwb. I find it very uncomfortable, plus I don't want to get new pants just for carrying.
    banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered-banking institutions more dangerous than standing armies

Welcome to the site, daBluman! I don't think it's that at all. Remember he's in a state that allows OC so it doesn't matter if it's bulging or not.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by repeal17thamendment View Post
    I guess I just do not get what you are saying. You do not have the "stomes" to carry openly, and when you "bulge" concealed, people give you grief. What is your issue with OC?

If you want to OC then do so and eventually people will get used to the idea.

I am new to carrying and luckily I live in a county in California that is easy to get a CCW. I have had to adjust what I wear and how I dress in order to have good retention and concealment. As I have a little more weight than I should I am only able to carry OWB strong side. I am unable to carry IWB as it would be uncomfortable. I do not want people to know that I am armed until it is absolutly neccesary. The element of surprise is my too my advantage if I have to reveal my weapon.

I guess I just do not get what you are saying. You do not have the "stomes" to carry openly, and when you "bulge" concealed, people give you grief. What is your issue with OC?

If you want to OC then do so and eventually people will get used to the idea.

I am new to carrying and luckily I live in a county in California that is easy to get a CCW. I have had to adjust what I wear and how I dress in order to have good retention and concealment. As I have a little more weight than I should I am only able to carry OWB strong side. I am unable to carry IWB as it would be uncomfortable. I do not want people to know that I am armed until it is absolutly neccesary. The element of surprise is my too my advantage if I have to reveal my weapon.
    Funny.

I also carry OWB with a noticeable bulge the last month or two. Even my preferred carry method of SOB bulges, probably due to my body build, and leaves me self-conscious BUT I have never caught any grief. From a couple of looks in restaurants I suspect a few folks have noticed, but in Idaho no one seems to get too excited about it. at least no one has ever said anything to me.

I'll probably go back to SOB this fall, when I start again with light vests and jackets, but increasingly the newly-coined "bulge carry" seems workable for me as well.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

I am a big guy myself (270# at 6'1") and initially found IWB carrying uncomfortable too. But that is primarily due to crappy IWB holsters. If you get a supertuck or Answer IWB holster, and wear comfortably loose pants, you will be amazed at how comfortable IWB carrying can be--and totally concealed.

But if you are not willing to give that a try, then you need to get yourself a very high-quality OWB holster that will keep your firearm tight to your side and high, and wear loose fitting shirts over it. Other alternatives would be, e.g., 5.11 concealment shirts where the weapon is carried under the arm. Just makes giving any hugs a little awkward...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast