Another Case Of C & C Gone Wrong? - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 90

Thread: Another Case Of C & C Gone Wrong?

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    MA, Away from the liberal loonies...
    Posts
    2,658

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    I'm trying to think of another approach besides walking away (that just grates on me) and directly interceding and escalating the situation. Ok, suppose you approach the black dude and say something friendly like: "hey, why don't you come sit with me and eat?". You haven't said anything to the jackasses who were harassing him. Now, they turn on you but you refuse to bite, attempt to calmly de-escalate the situation, etc. etc. At this point, if they escalate to physical violence, are you justified in using appropriate measures? Or simply by sticking your nose into the situation, are you going to be faulted?
    Hey JJFlash... I like that approach... If the hecklers feel like they wanna get in your face, now their choice... And this action may make someone else feel beter. I believe actions like that will be in the Highlight Reel when we meet the Good Lord...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

    I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

  2.   
  3. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by marionandjohn View Post
    So if I understand this right and I obviously dont have all the facts but it seems as though yall are saying that if you are carring then you cant speak your mind and tell some they are stupid/being dumb (maybe not in so nice of words) because then you become the aggressor if they wanna fight you for some words said? Just curious, let me spin off this with a what if and keep in mind in GA your vehicle is considered your personal property under the castle doctrine. Me being 5'7" 160 and Billy Bob (6'2" because that was used) is stopped at a green light, him being in front of me and I honk my horn, he then gets out, and being a man of considerable size, coming at me to "punch me in the face" I have no right to draw my weapon? I have to disagree and feel I have the right and even if miller did call the guy an idiot and tell him to move there was nothing that waranted a punch in the face if it were only words exchanged. As for leaving the scene he shouldnt have and doesnt FL have a civil protection in the castle doctrine? Again let me know if I am in left field or not. Another question is dont FL have a stand your ground law meaning you dont "have" to retreat first? It seems to me that the only crime here is fleeing the scene and possibly having the firearm. I know in GA you dont have to have a CC to have a loaded firearm in your vehicle, is FL the same way? If so no crime there either. This seems like Vigeant tried to be a big man and got put in his place. Im sorry for the family but seems he was in the wrong and is one reason I carry. I am also sorry for Miller who has to live with knowing he took another mans life, rough on the mind but easier then another coma.
    If someone comes to your car and you are carrying, the only sane thing to do is lock your doors and drive away if possible. If you can't drive away, then just sit there with the doors locked and the windows up. If they break the window, I see no reason not to believe you are completely within your rights to shoot them, though I would let them see the gun and come to some decision before I shot.

    Added thought: As soon as they got out of their car and started towards you, you should be on the phone with 9-11
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

  4. I hope the guy who was punched was in a convertible..........because if I'm the prosecutor I'm going to say to the jury. "Now this gentleman has invested his time and money to take a Concealed Carry Course, but yet his judgement was so poor, that he didn't even bother to lock his car door. No it was just easier for him to shoot a kill a man, rather than take a simple step that might have avoided the entire situation all together." Back to the scenario, it says that two men got into an argument. Were they initially out of their cars and then returned or were they shouting the argument at each other while in their respective cars? That point might make a difference in liability.

  5. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by MONTANA View Post
    I hope the guy who was punched was in a convertible..........because if I'm the prosecutor I'm going to say to the jury. "Now this gentleman has invested his time and money to take a Concealed Carry Course, but yet his judgement was so poor, that he didn't even bother to lock his car door. No it was just easier for him to shoot a kill a man, rather than take a simple step that might have avoided the entire situation all together." Back to the scenario, it says that two men got into an argument. Were they initially out of their cars and then returned or were they shouting the argument at each other while in their respective cars? That point might make a difference in liability.
    Unfortunately the original articles are no longer available but in an earlier post I was able to post this description as accurately as I could of what happened.

    Mr. Vigeant left Summerville for a couple of days of golf with friends and got to Myrtle Beach late. He decided to stop by McDonalds instead of Hooters for something to eat.

    While at the drive through Mr. Miller pulled up behind him.

    For some unknown reason Miller becam impatient and started honking his horn and cussing at Vigeant.

    Vigeant may have been cussing back a Miller. That may have been probable but I don't know and not really part of it.

    Vigeant finally pulled up to allow Miller to go on through. I think Miller pulled up enough to either place or get his order. he may not have even pulled up any but he is still yelling and cussing at Vigeant.

    From witnesses reports Vigeant gets out of his car and walks over to Miller's car.

    Wintesses hearthem arguing, a gun shot, see Vigeant stagger back to his car and Miller peal out of the place via the route the Vigeant had left open for him at a very high rate of speed.

    Cops are called and Vigeant is pronounced dead.

    Cops notify Vigeant's wife of his death and tell her that he went over to Miller's car to tell him to calm down and ask what is his problem. They tell his wife that they have a suspect but have not arrested him.

    Cops locate Miller and make arrest the next day.

    Miller claims that Vigeant punched him in the face and was the reason that he shot him.

    Miller's family claims that the reason that he shot him was because Miller had been beaten half to death several years ago after taking on several guys down at Boardwalk at the Beach.

  6. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina/Charleston
    Posts
    2,388
    Hey marionandjohn: I absolutely agree with your frustration about not being able to do anything just because you have a CCW but you must realize that the police, the solicitor and the jury were not there, do not have a personal stake in the situation, and easily can see this 180 degrees from your VERY personal view of things.You are the one with the gun, you are the one who just killed someone,you do not have any marks on you, and worst of all, the dead guy does not have any weapons of any kind. Now you are going to tell these people how fearful you were about dying. I hope all of you posters will just realize that all of us are just having a good time exchanging thoughts and there may be disagreement--but we can all learn something by hearing all the opinions even if we do not agree with all of them. In the Miller/Vigeant case, Miller signed his own guilty plea by running away and hiding---he cannot explain that fact away---scared ain't good enough.

  7. #66
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    GA but a resident of TN
    Posts
    170
    I agree with him being guilty because he ran away I even said that earlier and I fully agree with doing what you can before you have to even draw your weapon or fire. I do not believe that because I have a gun I "win" and that I can take on any situation. I do believe however that because I have a gun I do not loose my right to tell the idiot that is stopped at a green light that he needs to move. as far as miller getting punched the first thing you do in a drive through is roll down your window (theres the way in the car) unfortunatly we have became such a lazy society that almost all cars have electric windows and because people have no common sense the windows can be stopped while being rolled up. (lost the chance to lock vigeant out of his car). I am not trying to say this is what happened just my take. I know that if I shot a guy twice and he is stumbling back to his car that he might have a gun in there and try to return fire weather he is legal or not and I would leave the immediate area and call 911 not just hide and pretend it didnt happen. And it might be just me but if I see someone coming towards me in great anger my cell phone is not the first thing I am reaching for nor am I wasting time dialing 911 when I should be trying to get the heck out of there if not that then securing my families and my own safty then grabbing the phone (securing safty from an angry person is positioning myself in a defensive postion)
    "The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country." - General Patton

  8. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina/Charleston
    Posts
    2,388
    Hey marionandjohn: Cannot argue with anything you have said and appreciate your comments. Just the fact that there are so many variables that we end up talking about in the comfort of our little computer room gives you reason enough to understand that all those who will judge us when we use our CCW will have opinions that may be very different from our own seemingly correct actions; their opinions could be the difference between criminal charges and/or severe civil penalties (although many states do have a civil penalty disclaimer that ties into criminal non-guilt or no criminal charges).

  9. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Иєш Лєяжşєşŧăŋ
    Posts
    1,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    A civil suit is almost certain however.....
    I see a contradiction here. See Item 'B':

    (B) The General Assembly finds that it is proper for law-abiding citizens to protect themselves, their families, and others from intruders and attackers without fear of prosecution or civil action for acting in defense of themselves and others.
    Am I wrong?
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

  10. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektarr View Post
    I see a contradiction here. See Item 'B':



    Am I wrong?
    Not necessarily. If they should decide not to prosecute Miller then no real ruling has been made to satisfy the code. The best way would be to present the case to a grand jury and they refuse to indict. Then Miller would have a good basis for a defense against a civil suit. Just becasue either the prosecutor, grand judy or a criminal jury fails to find Miller guilty it does not prohibit a civil lawsuit. However the platiff would have an uphill battle to try an convince a jury that the shooting was not justified and obtain an award. In fact there would have to be some circustances beyond the criminal proceedings to actually get an award. If they could not prove their case they would be liable for the legal fees of the defendant. It is possible for a civil lawsuit following a case involving the Castle Doctrine but extremely rare.

    Results of a criminal trial are normally not allowed as part of the evidence in a civil trial. Remember that a jury finds someone Not-Guilty rather than innocent. About the only time a criminal charge can be used if if the defendent pleads Guilty to the charges.

  11. #70
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina/Charleston
    Posts
    2,388
    Thank you FN1910 for once again providing excellent "mentoring" to many of us who try to be knowledgeable on the very serious subject of CC and its myriad of do's and don'ts and potential for terrible choices. I look forward to your comments in this forum and pay attention when I see them.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast