Guns on campus at a Texas Public School - Page 2

View Poll Results: Should guns be allowed on a public school campus and in the classroom?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, a CCW should be permissible to ANY valid CHL holder

84 84.00%
  • YES, but a CCW should ONLY be permissible to school employees with valid CHL

14 14.00%
  • NO, guns should NEVER be allowed, no exceptions

2 2.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guns on campus at a Texas Public School

Quote Originally Posted by matthewaynelson View Post
    The original article was about the Harold Independent School District (k-12) in Texas. So, the polling question was specifically about schools k-12.
    Like I said k-12, teachers only. The kids shouldn't be allowed

3. Schools are shooting galleries with no backboard

Absolutely, teachers (and anyone) who obtains a CCW should be permitted to carry at schools. If the judges and politicians don't want the potential life-saving support that armed citizens may be able to provide if the SHTF, so be it. They already have some armed protection. But our nation's schools are defense-free zones, where any tool with a gun can find ready-made victims - and these murderers know it.

Whether it's a student coming to gun down teachers or fellow students, or a freak off the streets, the best policy the schools can currently employ is lock down. How much better would that plan be if while in lockdown, a well-prepared teacher (or classroom visitor, for that matter) had weapon out and ready in case the madman comes in? Almost just like my saferoom strategy at home. As for universities, legal carry should simply be the norm. Accent on legal.

It's not legal carry that creates the problem of innocent shooting victims. Might a legal CCW occasionally go postal? I guess, but have not heard of it.

Just like the stellar safety record of hunters in the US (it's more dangerous to play golf or go jogging), CCW holders have an incredible absence of crime in our ranks that nobody knows about. We should find a way to better communicate that fact, and maybe the newsies will stop predicting bloodbaths and mass murder every time a state eases it's CCW laws.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants ... for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

4. Maybe all teachers should be REQUIRED to obtain a CCW and carry at school, in order to protect our children better.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants ... for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Daugherty16 View Post
    Maybe all teachers should be REQUIRED to obtain a CCW and carry at school, in order to protect our children better.
    Amen!
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

I attend a university in Utah. Utah law specifically states that my school cannot prohibit CCW on campus. I express my appreciation by always excercizing that right.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Sadly, this is one of the few areas in which the Bradys are more powerful than the NRA. As long as they're able to appeal to people's emotions (something that they've been hugely successful at thus far in this area), then guns will not be allowed at schools, and, unfortunately, chidlren will be sitting ducks for the crazies of the world to kill with impunity. I wish more states would look at New Hampshire and adopt its list of no carry places, which only include courthouses and places that are off limits under federal law.
    That might also be because of teacher's unions too. Teacher's unions love "Zero-tolerance" policies and other such leftwing foolishness.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster20 View Post
    Handguns are usually only sold to adults 21yrs or older. CCW permits are generally only issued to adults 21yrs of age or older... I think that is the distinguishing factor. Kids can't legally purchase firearms nor can they obtain a legal CCW permit. Should faculty with CCW permits be allowed to carry in an elementary, middle, or high school?? ABSOLUTELY!!!
    Don't forget about the staff too. Just because the guy who changes the air filters and works on the HVAC is only their once a month doesn't mean he should be unarmed. Or the school nurse, administrative support team, guidance councilor, or other staff members for that matter. It takes more than just teachers to run a school, there are a lot of behind the sceens people who you don't see.

Quote Originally Posted by Daugherty16 View Post
    Just like the stellar safety record of hunters in the US (it's more dangerous to play golf or go jogging), CCW holders have an incredible absence of crime in our ranks that nobody knows about. We should find a way to better communicate that fact, and maybe the newsies will stop predicting bloodbaths and mass murder every time a state eases it's CCW laws.
    I hear in some schools they actually still TEACH hunter's safety courses in public schools.

Gun-free zones and PFA's (protection from abuse orders) have one thing in common. A committed individual who doesn't care if they live or die will ignore them. My worst fear is that one day Jihadists in this country will go en-masse to a campus and kill a lot of kids before help can arrive.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12