Guns on campus at a Texas Public School

View Poll Results: Should guns be allowed on a public school campus and in the classroom?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, a CCW should be permissible to ANY valid CHL holder

84 84.00%
  • YES, but a CCW should ONLY be permissible to school employees with valid CHL

14 14.00%
  • NO, guns should NEVER be allowed, no exceptions

2 2.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns on campus at a Texas Public School

Exclamation Guns on campus at a Texas Public School

One year ago, David Thweatt made a decision so controversial and groundbreaking the story about it sped around the world. The superintendent of the isolated Harrold Independent School District, about 30 miles northwest of Abilene, made history last August when he and his school board decided to allow select teachers and staff members at the 110-student school to carry guns on campus — a first for Texas and the nation. (Source)
    I feel teachers have the same rights and responsibilities (maybe more) granted them under the second amendment and should be allowed to CCW on campus and in their classrooms as long as they are valid CHL holders.

I personally would like to see MORE school districts around the State and country do the same!
    Blessed be my God, my mountain, who trains me to fight fair and well! Psalm 144 (msg)
    ...follow me at twitter.com/matthewaynelson

+1. Schools can be a very dangerous place. If you have a CHL then you should be able to carry there.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Sadly, this is one of the few areas in which the Bradys are more powerful than the NRA. As long as they're able to appeal to people's emotions (something that they've been hugely successful at thus far in this area), then guns will not be allowed at schools, and, unfortunately, chidlren will be sitting ducks for the crazies of the world to kill with impunity. I wish more states would look at New Hampshire and adopt its list of no carry places, which only include courthouses and places that are off limits under federal law.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Where's the bloodbath? No accidental discharge? No disgruntled teacher shooting unruley students? This story must be a spoof!
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post

... where's the bloodbath? No accidental discharge? No disgruntled teacher shooting unruley students? This story must be a spoof!
    Ha! :)

Truthfully, I doubt they’ve implemented this policy out of fear of the kiddos! Trust me, I grew up in West Texas Schools (primarily in my birthplace of Denver City—a smaller ISD like the one in the story). There wasn’t a great deal of misbehaving going on in those smaller ISD's! The “board of corrections” was freely dispensed!

My teachers didn’t require a firearm to enforce their will, discipline or for defense! We were expected to show our teachers respect, whether they deserved it or not. The fact that they were our elders was reason enough alone. Wasn’t always fun, but the success rate for the production of healthy, responsible young adults—who could cope with real life once they got out into it—was pretty high! They were doing something right!

BUT, there have always been bad people in the world... and, unfortunately, even in Texas, bad people do stupid things and sometimes threaten the safety and lives of innocent people. I am pleased that Harold ISD gave their staff the right to protect themselves and their students from those sorts of bad people!
    Blessed be my God, my mountain, who trains me to fight fair and well! Psalm 144 (msg)

Why should I, a grown man, who has chosen to go back to school not be allowed to carry? I do not feel it is just the teachers that should be allowed to, but all who are law abiding citizens with their carry permits.
    "The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country." - General Patton

Seems it should be distinguished between elementrary/high schools and colleges/universities.
    IMHO only teachers at the elementary level. As stated by Marionandjohn, college campuses should allow "grown man" and woman to carry.

Handguns are usually only sold to adults 21yrs or older. CCW permits are generally only issued to adults 21yrs of age or older... I think that is the distinguishing factor. Kids can't legally purchase firearms nor can they obtain a legal CCW permit. Should faculty with CCW permits be allowed to carry in an elementary, middle, or high school?? ABSOLUTELY!!!

Glad I live in OR where anyone with a CHL can carry at schools.

But for gawds sake, keep it concealed there...nobody wants to deal with a SWAT team.

Quote Originally Posted by vn6869 View Post

… seems it should be distinguished between elementrary/high schools and colleges/universities.
    The original article was about the Harold Independent School District (k-12) in Texas. So, the polling question was specifically about schools k-12.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast