new ccw suggestions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new ccw suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by muttblbc View Post
    so it dosent matter that louisiana is an issueing state, I can get a utah non resident permit (as my sole ccw) and be legal?
    MY Suggestion, would be get the Penn non-resident permit to tide you over the six months or so before you get your LA permit. The Penn permit is faster - about 7 days - and cheaper - about $26.
    Just my suggestion.

Getting a non-resident as a permanent CCW does not seem to be a good idea when LA has their own. NOw for us in the Peoples Republic of Illinois, it is unfortunately the only way to go.

Do I understand you do not have your CCW in MN ??

LA sounds pretty tough as per CCW permit criteria (I mean, copies of court proceedings and such? Yikes.). Therefore, I find it hard to believe that the state is going to honor out-of-state permits held by residents, who may not be granted an in-state permit, given this stringent criteria. I've lived in a few states and haven't found any yet who would honor my prior state's driver's license after I had established residency in the current state (and I got citations to prove it). So, LA is gonna honor out-of-state carry permits held by its residents? I'd be surprised.

I'd really want to check this out if it was me. Don't take anybody's word on this forum (including mine); it's too important: just think what LA's penalties might be for carrying illegally. Damned if I'd want to spend ANY time in the pokey in the city of New Orleans or the great state of LA!

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    LA sounds pretty tough as per CCW permit criteria (I mean, copies of court proceedings and such? Yikes.). Therefore, I find it hard to believe that the state is going to honor out-of-state permits held by residents, who may not be granted an in-state permit, given this stringent criteria. I've lived in a few states and haven't found any yet who would honor my prior state's driver's license after I had established residency in the current state (and I got citations to prove it). So, LA is gonna honor out-of-state carry permits held by its residents? I'd be surprised.

I'd really want to check this out if it was me. Don't take anybody's word on this forum (including mine); it's too important: just think what LA's penalties might be for carrying illegally. Damned if I'd want to spend ANY time in the pokey in the city of New Orleans or the great state of LA!
    Don't take anyone's word just check for yourself.

See the following. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/louisiana.pdf

Louisiana honors the following permits.

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas,
    Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina,
    North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington & Wyoming.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

(2) A nonresident concealed handgun permit issued by another state is invalid in the state of Louisiana if issued to an individual who is a resident of this state has been denied a handgun permit or has been issued a handgun permit which is under revocation or suspension.

OK, the above paragraph is taken directlly from the website that MADnMO refers to in his post. I read it to say that a resident of LA who fails the criteria to get an in-state permit cannot go and get an out-of-state permit to be able to carry in LA.

It looks like the powers-that-be haven't considered that someone would move to the state, become a resident, and hold an out-of-state permit indefinitely. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance. MADnMO seems correct in that if it's not specifically addressed, you might be legally ok. But I bet your ass gets hassled heartily and I'd be willing to bet that out-of-state permit gets tossed. Of course, we're all pissing in the wind, here. I just know I wouldn't want to be sashaying around confident that I'm legally carrying, and then find myself in the middle of a **** storm (especially if the weapon gets used!) down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    (2) A nonresident concealed handgun permit issued by another state is invalid in the state of Louisiana if issued to an individual who is a resident of this state has been denied a handgun permit or has been issued a handgun permit which is under revocation or suspension.
    The key phrase in the above is RESIDENT. LA has a six month residency requirement and if memory serves this conversation was - What permits are allowed until residency requirements have been met.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by MADnMO View Post
    The key phrase in the above is RESIDENT. LA has a six month residency requirement and if memory serves this conversation was - What permits are allowed until residency requirements have been met.
    Actually I believe the more important key phrase is ". . .a resident of this state has been denied a handgun permit or has been issued a handgun permit which is under revocation or suspension."

Either way, this is awful thin ice in my estimation.

Maybe I misread Muttblbc's post. He said that the LA process was onerous, and it sounded like he'd have a problem getting thru it. Then, he said he'd like to "bypass" the process. From all this, I thought he meant he wanted to get an out-of-state permit INSTEAD OF the LA permit. So, I'm pissing in the wind so bad, here, it's blowing back in my face!

Florida Non-Resident concealed weapon permit in Louisiana

Effective immediately Louisiana is no longer recognizing Florida Non-Resident concealed weapon permits. Check this out at this link: Doc added***FL permits no longer honored in LA....it's official. - BayouShooter.com Forums or LSP - Sections - Concealed Handgun Permit Unit . I suspect that non-resident Utah permits are next from what I've read at BayouShooter.com
    SI VIS PACEM, PARABELLUM
    "If you seek peace, prepare for war"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12