Amtrak--Anyone got a quick answer? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Amtrak--Anyone got a quick answer?

Quote Originally Posted by NCjones View Post
    Of course, very few people use Amtrak — and many question why that entity receives any tax payer money.

Regardless, a transportation entity that receives billions of federal taxpayer dollars should not be allowed to prevent law-abiding citizens from hunting or defending themselves when they travel on vacation or personal business.

Amtrak is government owned....does that make them a "federal facility"?

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    I am not sure what the crime would be if one were caught with a pistol in their pocket. Anything from being tossed off the train, to a serious federal felony.

4. Doesn't Amtrak search a percentage of their passengers now?

You'd probably be in similar trouble to having a pistol in your pocket when getting onto a plane.

Have they yet implemented the new law regarding guns in checked luggage?

My Better Half is looking at a train trip to CA (yeah, I know, it's crazy to even enter Kalifornia if one can avoid it) and is wanting to take her .357 with her.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Terms of Transportation Agreement when you ride Amtrack:

"All travel on, and transactions with, Amtrak is governed by the laws of the District of Columbia, United States of America, without regards to its principles of conflicts of law. You agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of any Federal court located in the District of Columbia, United States of America, and waive any jurisdictional, venue or inconvenient forum objections to such courts."

Amtrak - Help - Terms of Transportation - Governing Law

Looks to me that you are agreeing not only to be bound by Federal Law, but more specifically the laws of the District of Columbia!

[QUOTE=Hamilton Felix;137712]Have they yet implemented the new law regarding guns in checked luggage?
    QUOTE]

No they haven't. I suspect you will see it implemented on day 364.

7. Well, thanks for the info, even if it isn't happy.

She'll probably make the trip unarmed. That is, if she manages to unsnarl the incredible SNAFU (billed the amount of the Amtrak trip to our Amex FIVE times -- first time went through, next four bounced -- and it turns out she billed charges to an airline, not Amtrak) caused by a AAA travel agent in Everett. BTW, don't use them; they farm out the job to Travelocity, then charge you a $30 service fee.

Personally, I have no desire to visit California, particularly the "Mexifornia" southern part, and no interest at all in riding Amtrak. We have cars and motorcycles so we can go where we want to, when we want to.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

I think in your case, I"ld rent a car and drive back or take a bus.

9. My beloved Kathleen and her Mama decided on this trip, but recent experiences pretty much guarantee they won't do it again.

Personally, I would have driven. I can get in a car, go where I want to go, when I want to go and carry what I want to carry.

As far as I'm concerend, so long as they treat decent Americans like criminals, Amtrak and the airlines can go to hell.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123