Amtrak--Anyone got a quick answer?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amtrak--Anyone got a quick answer?

1. Amtrak--Anyone got a quick answer?

A last minute unscheduled trip has come up. I'm a VA resident driving to WV tomorrow and taking the train back. I have a VA resident CCL; WV is a reciprocal state.

I have looked at Amtrak website and see no mention of CCW. Can I carry concealed on an Amtrak train?

3. Found the answer from Amtrak site

Prohibited Items

The following kinds of items are prohibited as both checked and carry-on baggage:

Any type of gun, firearm, ammunition, explosives, or weapon.
    Incendiaries, including flammable gases, liquids and fuels.
    Large, sharp objects such as axes, ice picks and swords.
    Corrosive or dangerous chemicals or materials, such as liquid bleach, tear gas, mace, radioactive and harmful bacteriological materials.
    Batteries with acid that can spill or leak (except those batteries used in motorized wheelchairs or similar devices for mobility-impaired passengers).
    Club-like items, such as billy clubs and nightsticks.
    Fragile and/or valuable items, including but not limited to electronic equipment. (Laptop computers and handheld devices may be carried onboard; however, Amtrak accepts no liability for damage.)
    Animals (except service animals).
    Oversized and/or overweight items.
    Please note: This is not an exhaustive list. Any item similar to those listed, even if not specifically mentioned here, is prohibited from being carried onboard or checked as baggage.

Angry Well, that tears it......

No more riding the rails for me!
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Just curious, since AMTRAK is Federally funded, is it considered a Federal facility vis a vis the Post Office??

+1 with Boomboy... no train rides in my future either.

Not permitting firearms in transit, even in secured checked baggage?! That's BS! I mean, I've seen many a city's train stations... and they tend to be located in parts of the city where I WANT to be armed!
    "There is no consitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen." (7th Cir. 1982, Bowers v. DeVito)Stay safe, and stay trained.www.sazsatt.com

AZSATT

I definitely agree. I have taken Amtrak, and their stations are often in the worst parts of town(s). As are their routes. If there is anytime I would like to be armes it is in those areas.

JMHO

According to the news, Amtrak will have to start allowing weapons in checked baggage (just like airplanes) or else loose their federal funding.

Washington, DC - Sen. Roger Wicker (R-MS) offered an amendment to the 2010 Transportation-Housing & Urban Development Appropriations bill.

Sen. Wicker’s amendment will allow law-abiding gun owners to safely and legally transport firearms when they travel on Amtrak. A nearly identical amendment, also offered by Sen. Wicker, passed the Senate in April by a vote of 63-35.

Current Amtrak regulations prohibit firearms in both checked and carry-on baggage. Sportsmen who wish to use an Amtrak train for a hunting trip, therefore, cannot include a shotgun even in their checked luggage.

Likewise, travelers who have a permit to carry a concealed firearm cannot include a self-defense firearm in their checked luggage, even if they are allowed to carry in both the states of origin and destination.

But if such travelers were to take the trip by air, they could check a gun onto the aircraft by simply declaring the firearm and transporting it in a prescribed manner.

Of course, very few people use Amtrak — and many question why that entity receives any tax payer money.

Regardless, a transportation entity that receives billions of federal taxpayer dollars should not be allowed to prevent law-abiding citizens from hunting or defending themselves when they travel on vacation or personal business.

Sen. Wicker’s amendment prohibits any federal taxpayer funding of Amtrak if it does not allow gun owners to transport firearms on trains in a manner similar to that of airlines.

Under this amendment, travelers would be able to transport a firearm from Amtrak stations that accept checked baggage as long as the firearm is declared and carried in a hard-sided, locked container.

Senate votes to allow Amtrak riders to carry guns in their checked baggage

And they say nothing good comes out of Mississippi,,,,,,WE all stay here! A pat on the back to Senator Wicker.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

10. I've never ridden Amtrak & likely never will. Question about it though..... Does Amtrak run passengers through screening like airports do? After all, concealed is concealed.

RTL

Congress 1/2 acts

The House has passed a bill to allow passengers to check bags IF the station has that service. You can't carry but it will be just like the airlines. That might mean TSA and baggage screening.

But the law has not changed yet, private [automobile or airplane] is the way to travel.
    The people think the Second Amendment protects their rights;
    Government sees an obstacle to be over-come.
    NRA Life since 1966

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast