Fingerprinting for CCW - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fingerprinting for CCW

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    I don't think that one should have to provide their Social Security Number either.
    One doesn't necessarily. Most of the apps I've seen from different states say "supplying SS# is optional"....granted I havent seen ALL the states apps...

3. Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    If the prints don't match any in the criminal database (booking fingerprints as well as unknown prints found at crime scenes), then the FBI informs the requesting agency that there is no criminal record.
    ....and then adds your prints to the database so they will have a big brother record on you.

Jim Brown
    ALIAS: Glockfan
    DOB: 12/12/1212
    ADDRESS: 123 main st.
    SSN: 123-12-1343
    GUNS OWNED:

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    One doesn't necessarily. Most of the apps I've seen from different states say "supplying SS# is optional"....granted I havent seen ALL the states apps...
    On the SC application, there is a space for your Social Security number. However you do not, and should not fill it in. Under the concealed carry permit law the State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) is authorized to collect certain information. Your Social Security Number is not on the list of information that SLED is authorized to collect. This means that they do not need, should not get, and are not authorized to have your Social Security Number.

It is my understanding that prints are forwarded electronically to the FBI for your background check, also a check against NCIC (NATIONAL CRIME INFORAMTION CENTER) is performed. Also a check of Counties/States you lived in for local wants and warrants.
    A full data base has been assembled over the years to accommodate all that are surrendered. My latest prints was done on a scanner. The Tech. at the detention Center(Charleston County only prints at the jail) ask if I wanted them emailed to the investigating authority or just wanted them printed. The Email is scrambled and secure. Only LEO offices with the network can receive.
    Hate to break it you but you now have a file IF you didn't have one before. I was active duty (1), work armored car carrying FED deposit money (2) and filed for a CWP (3) over the years.

Big Brothers been here for a while...........Just can't correlate date worth a *****

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    On the SC application, there is a space for your Social Security number. However you do not, and should not fill it in. Under the concealed carry permit law the State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) is authorized to collect certain information. Your Social Security Number is not on the list of information that SLED is authorized to collect. This means that they do not need, should not get, and are not authorized to have your Social Security Number.
    Supplying your SSN is optional for the Utah CFP. During the instructor's class, the question was raised as to if there was a benefit of supplying your SSN. The BCI personnel teaching the class informed us that it is optional, and won't delay your CFP if you don't supply it, however it may expedite your CFP processing if you have a common name.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Fortunately there is only one G50AE.

8. In WA, they scan on an electronic finger printing machine and it's submitted digitally. (ha ha...)
    I would guess the FBI would keep it on file.

P.S. Using a Freedom of Information Act request, you can actually request to see what the FBI has on file about yourself, if anything.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Swinokur View Post
    I went and read the FBI web site. They compare the card to the criminal database. You are not entered into it. They tell the requestor that there is either a record or no record. The FBI then files the card at their fingerprint center in WV.

If I had Googled before I posted I would have known this. sorry

Stu
    They are filed in the FBI center under G for "Gun owner"

I wouldn't bet all my amo on it but I've heard that the fingerprints are to distingush you from anyone else that has the same name in the FBI data base.

The old saying goes: If you ask if you have a file from any government agency, one will be started on you today.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast