How Long Before You CC With a Bullet In the Chamber? - Page 10
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: How Long Before You CC With a Bullet In the Chamber?

1. Quote Originally Posted by H3lpADing08MyBaby View Post
    I Have been carrying for about a month and i have NOT loaded a round yet,This may be odd to some but to me i'm wondering if i need to give myself more time.
    I'm just now getting used to the Holster and weight.we don't have kids so i'm not locking up my gun anymore it stays close to me .

WHen i'm carrying i think about what if something happens and i need to fire (we are talking intent and ability is there)...and if i pull my XD i have to rack it....now i'm thinking is it time to load a round.

Any Advice ?
    You are just going to be doing too many other life-saving things to worry about adding the additional step of chambering a round. One of the more important things is to combine tactical movement with drawing the firearm. I have used several different firearms. I like Sigs and Kimbers because they both have exposed hammers which allow me to carry one in the tube without the firearm being cocked. The Sig 239 is especially nice because it has a decocking lever and is also double action. I have never completely gotten over my discomfort with the Glock that has no external way to decock the firearm other than removal of the magazine and ejecting the round--all you Glock lovers----it is just me, not the firearm. I just think you might want to increase range time in which you get more comfortable with your firearm and the fact that your firearm is not going to discharge as long as you practice correct gun safety rules.

3. Quote Originally Posted by lordoftheviolin View Post
    I've carried for 5 years, every day, mostly my Glock 23. I've never carried it with a round chambered. Mainly this is because there is no manual safety for the Glock, which I really like. Sort of a paradox! Either I'm crazy or it just makes sense to me. I have 3 young kids, and although I'd NEVER leave a gun within their reach, they are always climbing all over me, grabbing me, getting their little fingers and hands all over everything. The glock trigger could be accidentally operated by a kid while the gun is in certain types of holsters (like the stretch elastic types of shoulder holsters to be worn under sweatshirts), it seems, but they definitely aren't strong enough to rack the slide. A 1/1000 chance of this happening, of course, but psychologically it helps me feel safer to not have a round chambered. Yes, it's an extra 2 seconds that requires 2 hands to rack the slide in a crisis, but it's better than having an accident. Thoughts?
    Only responding because you asked "Thoughts"
    (I only have 1 hand, so racking the slide in an "emergency situation" is not an option for me.)

One could always install a Glock Thumb Safety:

Ten-Ring Precision, Inc.
    Install Glock thumb safety $ 115.00 plus $12.00 shipping.

COMINOLLI : MANUAL SAFETY KIT FOR GLOCK - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools
    MANUAL SAFETY KIT FOR GLOCK® Price:$85.00

4. Quote Originally Posted by RPB View Post
    Only responding because you asked "Thoughts"
    (I only have 1 hand, so racking the slide in an "emergency situation" is not an option for me.)

One could always install a Glock Thumb Safety:

Ten-Ring Precision, Inc.
    Install Glock thumb safety $ 115.00 plus $12.00 shipping.

COMINOLLI : MANUAL SAFETY KIT FOR GLOCK - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools
    MANUAL SAFETY KIT FOR GLOCK® Price:$85.00
    That's one ugly safety lol
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

I agree besides the fact that you loose valuable time, time you can ill afford d to loose, when you do not have a round chambered it is very hard to rack the slide if you have one hand injured. No way would I consider carrying my firearm with an empty chamber.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

There are two kinds of safety.

One is a mechanical device which CAN fail. The other is a mindset.

I choose the latter and my Glock.
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

7. Quote Originally Posted by kengrubb View Post
    There are two kinds of safety.

One is a mechanical device which CAN fail. The other is a mindset.

I choose the latter and my Glock.
    Sorry. Your latter safety is a pet peeve of mine. Sure, there are plenty of guys that carry day in and day out with a 3.5 pound trigger and never have an issue but I am NOT going to be one of them. Ever. My cousin took his hand off after twenty years of Glocking. By accident. Never mind.

I much prefer something like a SIG where the first round fired is at 8# and then you are at 3# for subsequent rounds (for instance). If I am Glocking, with one in the tube, I am using a Glock with a NY1 trigger that gives me about an 8# pull and I am happy with that.

Suggest you try out that 8# NY1 trigger pull and see if you find it as comfy as I do. And as secure. I don't want someone tugging on my shirt, poking a pencil in my pants or whatever stupid thing may happen to find a round in my gut or leg. Even if carrying my G26 9mm with +P+ Gold Dots a single hit can just about take your leg off and I don't think I can sit easy with that.

As far as thumb safety is concerned? Well, they can be screwed up as well and then you have that 'hair trigger' perhaps? Dunno. I like my HK P7 series pistols as they are squeeze cockers and almost impossible to mess up with while carrying one in the tube and in fact I would carry it sans holster in my pocket and feel completely safe.

I also have an affinity for grip safeties = now it takes two distinct and SIMULTANEOUS actions to make bang. I feel comfy but not as comfy as the HK squeeze cockers, about the same safe feeling as the Glock with the NY1 trigger and a top quality holster.

Each to his own I guess but anyone who says that your safety is 'between your ears' in my humble opinion has no clue as to concealed carry safety. I go with the statement for 'duty carry' in a VERY secure holster no problem, but will never in a million years resolve myself to carry a 3# trigger and nothing else but a 'cone' of leather to prevent me from shooting myself in the leg. Sorry - just my humble opinion based on research, training and experience.

My fav's are my G26 and my G30 OWB carry in a secure top quality holster or if necessary IWB in an even better top quality holster and NY1 8# pull trigger, followed by my Sig P239 (8# first round, 3# thereafter) with decocker, and I absolutely love the HK squeeze cockers and wish they would use that patent to come out with something a bit cheaper and lighter for the masses. It just does not get safer than that.

Revolvers are another story remember. Regardless of the trigger pull that cylinder has to revolve in order for it to go bang, right? So as long as it's sitting in a reasonably tight holster it just isn't going to happen. What you gain in safety you lose in other areas but if I could carry a lightweight revolver in a reasonable calibre (read.... much damage on contact) I would do so. But for reasons that I need not go into I cannot. Muzzle needs to be 4.3" cuz I have to transport it back and forth across the border all the time. Gets heavy. Forget the Kydex with revolvers and go with good quality leather smooth side out. The cylinder has to revolve to go bang unless you are crazy enough to carry with it cocked.... but why not? After all, your safety is 'between your ears' right?

Let's play a game and break the rules a bit (don't do this... just think about it). YOU go to sleep with that Glock cokced and unlocked 3# pull under your pillow, one in the tube. Or with that revolver cocked and unlocked with no finger in the trigger guard and I will go to sleep with my HK P7M8 under my pillow and let's see who gets a better night of sleep.

Sorry guys.. I have seen the results of a ND/AD and it just is not pretty and not worth even a one in a thousand chance of it happening. Especially when it is so very easy to play it much, much safer and be just as well covered.

Just my humble opinion.

(I note again the differences between 'duty carry' and 'concealed carry' here just for the record - they ARE different and pose different issues.)

8. I have always carried with one in the pipe, but that's just me. I only carry my XD witch has a grip safety that I love. I am not a glock fan. Just doesnt seem safe enough for me. Read about too many negligent discharges involving glocks. I love the grip safety. My next purchase is a Kimber Pro CDP II, grip safety of course. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by stresco View Post
    I am not a glock fan. Just doesn't seem safe enough for me. Read about too many negligent discharges involving glocks.
    Has nothing to do with carrying a Glock. A ND is the result of poor practices or stupidity. I have carried a Glock with one in the chamber for a long time without incident. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

10. Quote Originally Posted by MADnMO View Post
    Has nothing to do with carrying a Glock. A ND is the result of poor practices or stupidity. I have carried a Glock with one in the chamber for a long time without incident. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
    Your preaching to the quire here. I totally understand that. I prefer something more than just the trigger safety. My personal choice. Whatever works for you.

Oh yeah, Tell that to Plaxico...

Quote Originally Posted by H3lpADing08MyBaby View Post
    I Have been carrying for about a month and i have NOT loaded a round yet,This may be odd to some but to me i'm wondering if i need to give myself more time.
    I'm just now getting used to the Holster and weight.we don't have kids so i'm not locking up my gun anymore it stays close to me .

WHen i'm carrying i think about what if something happens and i need to fire (we are talking intent and ability is there)...and if i pull my XD i have to rack it....now i'm thinking is it time to load a round.

Any Advice ?
    Put one in the chamber.

Why.....

1) Your posted you have a Springfield XD, so to fire it you have to squeeze the trigger and depress the grip safety. Your gun will NOT fire until you want it to.

2) No need to take extra time to rack the slide when under duress and that amount of time may be the difference.

Good luck,
    Springfield XDM 40cal / Crossbreed "QuikClip" Holster (IWB) / High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster (OWB) / Galco Single Mag Carrier (Horizontal) / Gould & Goodrich Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer) / Looper Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast