How Long Before You CC With a Bullet In the Chamber? - Page 14
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: How Long Before You CC With a Bullet In the Chamber?

I agree with the others, the best gun safety is "Keep your finger off the trigger" I carry DAO Pistols and I always have one in the chamber. The BG isn't going to wait for you to draw, rack and aim... you need every edge you can muster in a gun fight, and carrying one in the chamber ready to fire is but just one.
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

JSDinTexas Guest

A Happy Glock is a Hot Glock

As soon as I learned not to stick my finger in the trigger hole when I grabbed it.
    Wouldn't carry a Glock if it wasn't hot.

I have two CC autos. I can pull both of them from the holster release the safety and rack the slide in the dark in a fraction of a second longer than just drawing it. The reason I never leave one in the pike is because if somebody should ever catch me totally off guard and knock me silly with a blind sider, and get control of my gun, it gives me half a chance to regain my composure and regain control before they can figure out how to rack and take the safety off. Some people might never figure that out. The safety for myself is worth the fraction of a second to me.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

Cocked & Locked with my 1911A1. It's how it was designed. No other weapon has proved its reliability more over the decades.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

I will be carrying my Ruger P95 and it has a decocker on it so i can have one in the chamber and not have to worry about it going off and i have practiced with the safety/decocker and i feel i can carry with one in and put the lever to fire while i raise the gun up!

Cocked and locked. Otherwise, what's the point? You want to conceal carry. Then carry a rock. Choose a firearm that you control, not one that controls you. Be prepared to pull the trigger and eliminate the threat should the need arise. If not, stay out of the way.
    Peace through Superior Firepower

I think I went a few weeks without carrying my 1911 in condition 1. I then switched to a revolver and loaded all the chambers, and THEN to a PM9 and LCP. On both of those I carry with a round chambered. The long DAO (though it may not technically be DAO) pull makes it safer IMO. Carrying the 1911 C&L is safe but I've always been taught to never trust a mechanical safety so it kind of messes with me. I recently sold that one so it's no longer an issue (not because of C&L but because I didn't trust it and can't afford to have a safe queen).

Something to consider on mouse guns (Kel-Tec P3AT, Ruger LCP, Kahr PM9, etc) is that, with the reduced slide mass they don't always chamber a round reliably if you rack the slide manually, since any riding of the slide at all will cause it to lose too much energy. Kahr actually recommends using the slide stop. Keep this in mind when you decide to carry a loaded chamber or not.

You state you carry an XD, which should not have this problem but remember when the time comes you will likely be nervous (if not outright scared sh!tless - no shame in it) and fine motor skills typically leave the body when you get nervous. You may not be able to reliably rack the slide.

9. Quote Originally Posted by OldOwl View Post
    I have two CC autos. I can pull both of them from the holster release the safety and rack the slide in the dark in a fraction of a second longer than just drawing it. The reason I never leave one in the pike is because if somebody should ever catch me totally off guard and knock me silly with a blind sider, and get control of my gun, it gives me half a chance to regain my composure and regain control before they can figure out how to rack and take the safety off. Some people might never figure that out. The safety for myself is worth the fraction of a second to me.
    Why don't police officers carry that way?

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314