How Long Before You CC With a Bullet In the Chamber? - Page 5
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How Long Before You CC With a Bullet In the Chamber?

1. Well said Daugherty. We've got to keep in mind that we are generally in reactionary mode when drawing on a live human being and so speed counts - fractions of a second count. Your fine motor skills are going to be suffering in the situation and racking a slide, while it can indeed be practiced perhaps to perfection, will add fractions of a second to your readiness delay at best and at worst... well, a wobbly racked slide is something that pretty much everyone has experienced and you don't want a round jammed in the process. That can be the difference between life and death or grievous bodily harm.

I have become comfy with my baby Glocks being carried with one in the chamber but not with the lighter trigger pull. And my preference is for my Sigs which can be decocked safely and have an even heavier trigger pull. My very favourites, although I find them too heavy to carry, are my HK P7M8's and a few that have grip and thumb safeties, like my XD's.

CC'd for the first time today. I've been carrying around the house chambered for a while now, so it didn't feel anymore awkward in public.

As long as you never get complacent, one in the chamber shouldn't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta8045 View Post
    CC'd for the first time today. I've been carrying around the house chambered for a while now, so it didn't feel anymore awkward in public.
    Congratulations on popping your cherry!! Bravo!
    Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics...

Quote Originally Posted by H3lpADing08MyBaby View Post
    I Have been carrying for about a month and i have NOT loaded a round yet,This may be odd to some but to me i'm wondering if i need to give myself more time.
    I carried 10+0 in my Glock30 for the first 10 years (full magazine, no round in the chamber).

WHen i'm carrying i think about what if something happens and i need to fire (we are talking intent and ability is there)...and if i pull my XD i have to rack it....now i'm thinking is it time to load a round.
    I sat through another CFP class recently and the instructor ran though some scenarios and statistics, and I came to realize, in most altercations where drawing my sidearm is necessary, I may not have enough time to draw and acquire my target before my target is "on me"... and carrying "unloaded" (no round in the chamber) means I'd still have to rack a round... which would take even more time.

Add to the timing factor that I may have one of my hands occupied (fending off an assailant's weapon, or distancing myself from him with an out-stretched arm), or may have an injured limb, and may not be able to use both hands to rack the slide, and it becomes even more important that all I have to do is "point and click".

After that class I've carried with a round in the chamber everywhere that I carry my sidearm.

we don't have kids so i'm not locking up my gun anymore it stays close to me.
    I have small children, every one of them knows that I have a gun, they know where I keep it, they know that it's usually on my hip. They also know how dangerous it can be. They know that if they are ever EVER curious about it, want to see it, want to touch it that they can at ANY time... BUT, Mom or Dad has to be there with them to make sure they handle it safely. It's not a novelty or curiosity to them any more. It's a tool that Dad hopes he never has to use.

That said, when I store it overnight it's "Utah unloaded" full magazine, no round in the chamber.

I'm just now getting used to the Holster and weight.
    That's great! Take some time and get used to it. Get used to the holster, the weight, and the fact that you have the added responsibility of that tool with you.

It took me a long time before I didn't feel "uncomfortable" carrying concealed.

It took me a long time before I didn't feel "uncomfortable" carrying fully loaded.

I'm still getting used to open-carrying.

You're not "odd" by carrying "unloaded". Carry the way that you feel best suits you. Ask questions, do research (like you did by posting your question), and find out if you need to change "what suits you" in favor of a better practice, then decide if you're willing to do so.

- JoeLevi.com, Sitting Duck Policy | Are you a Sitting Duck?

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta8045 View Post
    As long as you never get complacent, one in the chamber shouldn't be an issue.
    To back up your statement, ALWAYS follow the four-rules!

1. NEVER put your finger inside the trigger-guard until you're ready to fire
    2. NEVER point a gun at something that you're not willing to kill or destroy
    3. Identify your target AND everything beyond it
    4. ALWAYS treat EVERY gun as if it is loaded

- Joe Levi, Sitting Duck Policy | Are you a Sitting Duck?

7. Quote Originally Posted by joelevi View Post
    To back up your statement, ALWAYS follow the four-rules!

1. NEVER put your finger inside the trigger-guard until you're ready to fire
    2. NEVER point a gun at something that you're not willing to kill or destroy
    3. Identify your target AND everything beyond it
    4. ALWAYS treat EVERY gun as if it is loaded

- Joe Levi, Sitting Duck Policy | Are you a Sitting Duck?
    These are the rules. Keep in mind that in many situations the assailant will have already targeted you and acquired you in their sights. Movement, distance and speed to reaction are what may save your life.

8. I started carrying with one in the chamber as soon as I started carrying.....First carry weapon was a Browning with External safety.......after that I switched to a Glock model 23......Only external is the trigger safety.....took me a little time b4 I was comfy carrying with one in the chamber........now I carry the same pistol on a daily basis with one in the pipe.....no concerns...

9. Quote Originally Posted by H3lpADing08MyBaby View Post
    I Have been carrying for about a month and i have NOT loaded a round yet,This may be odd to some but to me i'm wondering if i need to give myself more time.
    I'm just now getting used to the Holster and weight.we don't have kids so i'm not locking up my gun anymore it stays close to me .

WHen i'm carrying i think about what if something happens and i need to fire (we are talking intent and ability is there)...and if i pull my XD i have to rack it....now i'm thinking is it time to load a round.

Any Advice ?
    How long did I wait to load a round........However long it took me to put the holster on. The first day I carried I loaded a round. I carry a GLOCK 17 all the time and I carry loaded all the time. If the SHTF I don't know if I will have the presence of mind to rack the slide nor do I want to even worry about it. Its like a mouse, point click and things happen......

10. Quote Originally Posted by Lytescribe View Post
    How long did I wait to load a round........However long it took me to put the holster on. The first day I carried I loaded a round. I carry a GLOCK 17 all the time and I carry loaded all the time. If the SHTF I don't know if I will have the presence of mind to rack the slide nor do I want to even worry about it. Its like a mouse, point click and things happen......
    If unsteady with carrying one in the chamber you might consider carrying a Sig with a decocker so your first pull is 8 pounds and subsequent pulls are 4 pounds (guesstimate) or replacing your Glock trigger with a NY1 trigger which I believe is about 7 or 8 pounds and gives the added reliability of a better spring system (not that the Glock is unreliable). All NYPD LEOs must carry with the NY1 trigger installed I believe and the reason is that there were accidental discharges with the standard Glock trigger pull. Having said that, I will repeat what I said earlier and that was if I were carrying OWB in a duty holster aimed at the ground I might be much more inclined to just carry with the standard Glock trigger pull; however, if I am carry deeply concealed and aimed at ME (which is very likely) then I want a heavier trigger pull for the first round.... after that first round I know I am out of the holster and I don't mind a 4 or 5 pound trigger pull.

See 'the rules' above. Don't aim at anything that you don't want to destroy and that includes your jewels, arteries, flesh, feet, etc. Somewhere you will find online pix of two unlucky fellows who did not beat the odds and one shows damage inflicted on his hand by a 9mm Gold Dot; the other damage inflicted on his foot by a hollow point. Gruesome to say the least.

We have a relative who managed to shoot himself in the hand after 20 years of very safe handling and the hand is essentially unusable at present; he has undergone many surgeries in an attempt to regain its use. It was a simple matter of aiming at something that he did not wish to destroy... his rapid fire test had his hand come up in front of the muzzle somehow (first time?) and blam. No hand.

In addition to all the reading it would be advisable to take some training and then practice until your draw(s) are routine. And your hand NEVER gets in the way. You will see many put their off-hand against their chest when drawing, which is what I tend to do. Whatever way you train - follow the rules my friend.

Good luck. And remember that one in the chamber can make all the difference in the world in a pinch. Especially if you have been 'slam-dunked' and only have one hand to work with because the other is out of commission or is pinned or is simply not accessible. Try racking a round with one hand. Try out a Sig or other handgun with decocker where you have double action but the first round is in the chamber but at 8 pounds with subsequent rounds at 4 pounds. Get comfy, but carry chambered or learn to rack it on the drawstroke until you are willing to bet your life on it (and learn to rack with one hand).

Good luck. Keep safe.

An empty chamber is not gonna do you much good if the SHTF. While many will argue that that the time to rack is inconsequential, when the adrenaline gets going, milliseconds count. About the worst scenario I can think of is you yank the weapon out, point, pull trigger and...nothing! See, you forgot to rack the slide. Worse, you half-rack the slide and now have a jam to clear (oh yeah, now I remember that I left one in the chamber when I left the range) . So, get comfortable as fast as you can carrying one in the chamber, ALL the time. I believe any serious defensive and/or tactical shooting instructor will tell you this. My .02 cents.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast