Shoulder Holsters - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shoulder Holsters

I tried them when I was a new detective but they are really easy to spot under a light jacket or coat. The first time I went into a shady establishement to meet an informant the door person told me I could come in but I had to check my gun (at least he just thought I was bad guy with cheap holster rig). I also found that they can become uncomfortable wearning them for long perioids of time, but having said that I do use them for hunting with heavy pistols as they protect the weapon and keep it high and dry. I also like to take my jacket off when I'm in the car and you really should not do that if you are wearing a should holster. I also had a friend wearing an expensive shoulder holster under a fatigue jacket in a bar shooting pool who bent over to shoot the ball and the 1911 fell out on to the table - nice way to make new friends.

I use a shoulder rig most of the time. It is a horizontal orientated setup and I have a 1911 Gov model. (I'm a rather large guy) I do however recommend getting the vertical kind as this would help with concealment. The rig itself is rather comfortable but the belt strap can be a hassle if you have to really use the restroom

I carried for a while with a shoulder rig and I basically found it to be quite comforable (I'm a large guy). My problem was coming to work and having take the thing on and off several times a day as I went in and out of the office. I didn't want clients (especially new ones) coming into my office and there I am all holstered up. As someone else mentioned, I do use it a bit for my bigger weapons (e.g., 1911) if I'm in a situation where I can keep it concealed or if I don't care who sees it (I'm more and more into open carry, just not in my office). I now carry a .45 XD in a Mernickle slide holster; now, I come to work, put my weapon in the desk drawer and away we go. If I leave the office on an errand, simply insert gun into slide, grab jacket and boogie. Nobody notices the slide on my belt; it's pretty innocuous. If they do, they probably think it's a holder for something other than a firearm. My .02 cents.

I use a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster system and find it has several advantages,
    1- Spare magazines and pistol all stored together
    2- Easy to put on in a hurry once adjusted correctly
    3- Rig can be quickly dumped for storage as needed
    4- Restroom issues
    5- Works well when driving

And disadvantages,
    1- Needs to be adjusted correctly, there is a long learning curve to getting it just right
    2- Shoulder holsters tend to be more expensive
    3- When stowing the holster system, it can be kinda bulky and awkward
    4- Jacket required, but hey if you wear a tie, it already should be anyway

Galco Miami Classic II for each carry gun. G30 and a full size 1911. Very comfortable for long drives and when wearing a suit. More comfortable than any IWB of any brand IMO.

Plus if you wear a pastel tee short with it you can look like Don Johnson.

Talking Don Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Swinokur View Post
    Galco Miami Classic II for each carry gun. G30 and a full size 1911. Very comfortable for long drives and when wearing a suit. More comfortable than any IWB of any brand IMO.

Plus if you wear a pastel tee short with it you can look like Don Johnson.

Perhaps you should carry a 10mm.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Perhaps you should carry a 10mm.

Funny you should say that. I couldn't find a Bren 10 so got a G29 yesterday. It's the same frame as my G30 so all my holsters will work

Now gotta find that pastel tee shirt...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12