CWP badge
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CWP badge

Question CWP badge

This is one of those questions that I was just wondering about, it literally makes no differance at all. Does anyone have or actually carry the CWP badges or do you just put the permit in your wallet along with your other stuff?
    Jeff
    NRA GOLDEN EAGLES / LIFE MEMBER
    "They can have my guns, one round at a time . . ."

I saw a CCW badge in a gun store a while back, and it made me chuckle.

I suppose some could try to justify such a purchase or use of a badge in case someone else were to see your CC rig, and see the nice, official looking badge next to the rig, that person may not get as weirded out thinking you're an off-duty/undercover LEO. But I am just guessing.

My hunch would be that such an unnecessary item would more likely appeal to the permit holder who more or less fancies himself the "next best thing" to LEO... and then have the "badge" to prove it. But that also IMHO.

I see it not only as unnecessary, but more to conceal.
    "There is no consitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen." (7th Cir. 1982, Bowers v. DeVito)Stay safe, and stay trained.www.sazsatt.com

Quote Originally Posted by AZSATT View Post
    I saw a CCW badge in a gun store a while back, and it made me chuckle.

I suppose some could try to justify such a purchase or use of a badge in case someone else were to see your CC rig, and see the nice, official looking badge next to the rig, that person may not get as weirded out thinking you're an off-duty/undercover LEO. But I am just guessing.

My hunch would be that such an unnecessary item would more likely appeal to the permit holder who more or less fancies himself the "next best thing" to LEO... and then have the "badge" to prove it. But that also IMHO.

+1. No reason to carry one and it makes you look like a cop wanna be.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

We had a long discussion on this subject a while back. http://www.usacarry.com/forums/gener...ry-badges.html Bottom line is the badge is not a good idea. It's not recognized by any LE agency and may get you arrested for impersonating an officer.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

In some states, the "badge" could be viewed as inpersonating a police officer. As a former cop, my recommendation is keep your permit in your pocket and display it as required.

Carrying a badge in the state of Utah is illegal. Under Utah Criminal Code Section 76-8-512(3) A person is guilty of a class B misdemeanor who: displays or possesses without authority any badge....or a reasonable facsimile...with the intent to induce another to submit or rely on his pretend official authority.

Some may argue that having the Utah Concealed Firearms Permit authorizes the permit holder to carry a badge. The topic was discussed with officials from the Bureau of Criminal Identification (issuing agency for the UT CFP) during my instructor course. We were told that badges are not authorized. If they were authorized, you would either get one with your CFP or instructions and design specifications to order one from an authorized vendor.

I strongly advise my students against using any type of badge. You're already dealing with a LEO who may or may not be in a good mood. Having to explain why you have an unauthorized badge may aggravate the situation and cause you more grief from the LEO.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    The topic was discussed with officials from the Bureau of Criminal Identification (issuing agency for the UT CFP) during my instructor course. We were told that badges are not authorized.

+1 We were told the same thing in my instructor class.

I agree 100%, I was just wondering what other folks thought. I used to be a bouncer/doorman at a bar in Georgia and you'd be suprised how many people tried to pull one of those fake badges out to get in the door. I always figured that if the State wanted you to have one they would give it to you when you got the permit.
    Jeff
    NRA GOLDEN EAGLES / LIFE MEMBER
    "They can have my guns, one round at a time . . ."

Quote Originally Posted by AZSATT View Post
    Amen.
    Gun control: Forcing a 95lb woman to fist fight a 300lb rapist

I've never heard of a CCW badge. Wouldn't carry one anyway for all the reasons listed above.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast