Insult my wife - Page 11
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Insult my wife

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyDP View Post
    I fear that I would have a similar response. I believe that I would have the ability to process the situation and contact the police first, provided that there was not a physical altercation with concern to the suspect and girlfriend. Not only have I lost any and all respect for the way her boyfriend handled the situation (he shouldn't have been behind the wheel, she really should have been brought to a hospital seeing as they didn't know what she had been drugged with and she was in and out of consciousness all night), but to me it's a major threat. His obvious intentions were to rape her. Fortunately her boyfriend was there to remove her from the situation, regardless of how poorly I feel about his other decisions, I am grateful that he was with her. I appreciate your concern. I'm pretty alarmed that other students don't share the same concern. For those who chose to attend parties and clubs on a regular basis seem to encounter this fairly frequently, maybe it's a matter of "becoming accustomed". I can only be thankful that I don't place myself in those situations!
    Was the issue of poison proven? If not, any action on your part or the part of others could be seen as unjust. The incident should have been reported to police at that time. A blood test would have been ordered and it could have proven that poisoning was intended. Itís hard after the fact to prove it. Stay clear of those situations. The best defense weapon anyone can have is the desire to survive and the intellect to make it happen. Make good choices..
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    Was the issue of poison proven? If not, any action on your part or the part of others could be seen as unjust. The incident should have been reported to police at that time. A blood test would have been ordered and it could have proven that poisoning was intended. Itís hard after the fact to prove it. Stay clear of those situations. The best defense weapon anyone can have is the desire to survive and the intellect to make it happen. Make good choices..
    It sounds as if it was not proven. I was not present by any means, I heard about the situation early the following morning, and it sounded as if she did not have any intention of pressing charges. Thank you for the advice, another very important factor to consider!
    I'm secure enough in my self-esteem that I know I cannot handle a 150-pound guy coming at me, but I can handle a firearm to keep that man away from me. -- Maria Heil

Hey, 6Shooter, you believe this thread that's still alive? Just when I think it's gone for good, up it pops. And I keep taking the bait...Oh, well, old dog and new tricks and all that...

That was good advice to Gabby.

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyDP View Post
    It sounds as if it was not proven. I was not present by any means, I heard about the situation early the following morning, and it sounded as if she did not have any intention of pressing charges. Thank you for the advice, another very important factor to consider!
    I have a daughter (10 1/2 now) Someday I'm gonna have to let go and allow her to walk and run on her own. I pray that she makes the good choices. I pray that I never have provocation to dismantle some guy that attempts to take advantage of her or assaults her. Iíll have my God to answer to if that ever happens. I hope that you remain clear of those situations. Use your headÖPeaceÖ Tell your friend to count herself lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Hey, 6Shooter, you believe this thread that's still alive? Just when I think it's gone for good, up it pops. And I keep taking the bait...Oh, well, old dog and new tricks and all that...

That was good advice to Gabby.
    Hey JJ good to see you're on.. I clicked on the New Posts link and there it was... I read the entire thread again from the beginning. Nice job on this one... Got some good responses... Better than the carry and bowling one...
    Sorry had to go there... Peace...

Hey 6shootercarry, GabbyDB, JJFlash: Why not keep this going for one more poster. When Plaxico Burris, the former wide receiver from the NY Giants was arrested and found guilty after the schmoe had an illegal gun in his pants go off in a nightclub, the bottom line retort to anything he or his attorney had to say was--"you never should have been going to a place where you thought you needed a gun". Bottom line: Common sense will get you a lot further than any kind of CCW; that includes knowing EXACTLY where you are going when you go to a so-called party, using every opportunity to yell, scream and attract witnesses,walk away, run away, drive away etc, call 911/police, and in Gabby's, being sure of all the facts before you act, particularly with a CCW---we are talking about "imminent death" as the precursor, and, with due respect to some of the comments concerning the possibility or potential of rape (and boy do I agree-I have a daughter), it is still not "imminent death" (easy for me to say that sitting by a computer as opposed to seeing my daughter drugged out of her mind, crying, black eye, etc etc). I have said it several times in posts--I am 68 years old and spent almost 60 or them in the NY/NJ area (not exactly the most pastoral of areas) and I ALWAYS (and still) use my wits and common sense to stay out of anything that even had a hint of trouble; I have NEVER felt a need to somehow wish I had a CCW to protect myself.
    Why does this thread keep going?--The posts keep coming and are very good "source food" for more posts. Thanks guys and gals.

I say keep it going. I'm sure we have yet to touch on other situations that would be "what if's"... Maybe this will become part of a good book on how to handle situations when armed. And the title: What If, By JJFlash. Nice Job JJ... Could be a best seller... Kelcarry, good call...

You know, I get the "walk away", stay mellow, and all that, when carrying. And I do, and I am. We're all agreed on the responsibility that comes with carrying a weapon. I totally agree with Kelcarry on avoiding places and people which could be problematic.

But I STILL question whether we must remove ourselves from possible situations that we might have responded to, in good faith and with good intention, in our pre-carry days. All my life, for example, I have always been the "peacemaker" and the person who felt empathy for the underdog. I have intruded in situations in order to defuse them and I have "rescued" a number of folks from a severe ass-whipping. These were all situations that obviously had the possibility of escalation. So, now, from what we discussed, I'm to keep my mouth shut and remove myself from any situation short of immediate harsh threat to my life or someone else. I still see problems.

A number of years ago, for example, a college girl here was abducted in a shopping mall parking, in broad daylight, sexaully assaulted and killed. I, along with a number of others, spent time dragging the snow-filled ditches looking for her body. Traumatic, to say the least, as I had kids in college at the time (same college, knew the young lady). At any rate, I wonder what I woiuld do now if I saw some guy hassling some young lady.

So, here's another scenario: guy is yelling, smacking the lady around, and attempting to push her into the car in the parking lot. Could be domestic dispute or otherwise. I'm telling you that I don't think I could NOT address that, but you see the potential for escalation, particularly if it's a domestic problem. I know we could and should dial 911, but you know how that goes. The dung could be completely in the fan well before LEO arrive. How would you respond?

I'm a bit worried that we might be developing a "fear of action" (for lack of a better phrase) because we're carrying. If we don't stand up for folks, who will? We're sheepdogs, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    You know, I get the "walk away", stay mellow, and all that, when carrying. And I do, and I am. We're all agreed on the responsibility that comes with carrying a weapon. I totally agree with Kelcarry on avoiding places and people which could be problematic.

But I STILL question whether we must remove ourselves from possible situations that we might have responded to, in good faith and with good intention, in our pre-carry days. All my life, for example, I have always been the "peacemaker" and the person who felt empathy for the underdog. I have intruded in situations in order to defuse them and I have "rescued" a number of folks from a severe ass-whipping. These were all situations that obviously had the possibility of escalation. So, now, from what we discussed, I'm to keep my mouth shut and remove myself from any situation short of immediate harsh threat to my life or someone else. I still see problems.

A number of years ago, for example, a college girl here was abducted in a shopping mall parking, in broad daylight, sexaully assaulted and killed. I, along with a number of others, spent time dragging the snow-filled ditches looking for her body. Traumatic, to say the least, as I had kids in college at the time (same college, knew the young lady). At any rate, I wonder what I woiuld do now if I saw some guy hassling some young lady.

So, here's another scenario: guy is yelling, smacking the lady around, and attempting to push her into the car in the parking lot. Could be domestic dispute or otherwise. I'm telling you that I don't think I could NOT address that, but you see the potential for escalation, particularly if it's a domestic problem. I know we could and should dial 911, but you know how that goes. The dung could be completely in the fan well before LEO arrive. How would you respond?

I'm a bit worried that we might be developing a "fear of action" (for lack of a better phrase) because we're carrying. If we don't stand up for folks, who will? We're sheepdogs, right?
    AH HA!! See!!! I knew it!!! Another good "What if" from JJ...

That's the situation in which you become the good witness. Keep notes of what happened and try to keep the sequence of events in order. Now if the confrontation is verbal only we have to respect the rights of others to argue and take the "don't but in" stance. We all have times when we will argue with others. I tend not to make my problems public. Others, I believe enjoy the attention (be it good, bad, or indifferent). Now if the situation becomes violent and hitting and physical force occur, Call 911 immediately!! No act of violence against man or woman should be tolerated. If the violence become life threatening, then by all means assist. To stand by and witness violence of a deadly nature with no assistance rendered is a crime against your fellow citizens. Not all of Gods creatures are capable of good self defense. That’s why we have the Armed Forces, citizens who by choice decide to defend other citizens. The same is true with Law Enforcement personnel. They have chosen to defend others. But in the absence of the aforementioned groups, we the citizens will have to rise to the occasion when and if the time comes.
    It’s unfortunate that the political climate here in the country has made that act of defending others a difficult task without fear of criminal liability. Sorry rambled there…

We just had that very situation happen here in MA. A doctor that was treating a patient for mental health issues was assaulted by that patient. He took a knife to her and stabbed her repeatedly. An off duty security guard, who was armed with a firearm (legally) intervened and attempted to get the assailant to stop. The patient with the knife went after the security guard. Needless to say the knife wielding patient was shot dead. The husband and family of the assaulted doctor call the security guard a hero. Now in this case I believe the escalation of violence was justified. I’m not God, I’m not a judge, and I’m not infallible. Just how I feel… Opinions both positive and negative are welcome as always here in this forum.

"what ifs"...I got a million of 'em just waiting to be launched!

Ok, 6Shooter, I copy what you're saying. Here's the $64,000 question: Do you stop the guy from pushing her into the car? Even if it is his wife? How about if she's ASKING for help? How about if she's not asking for help, but is fighting back, obviously not wanting to get in the car?

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast