Insult my wife - Page 14
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 205

Thread: Insult my wife

  1. #131
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    I understand the sentiment behind the statements to "steer clear of certain situations" to stay safe in this world. I take exceptions to this type of thinking, however, as it is blaming the victim for the crime. Crime is everywhere. If the whole world were to steer clear of all harmful situations then people may as well not go shopping at the local grocery store, not go to any party of any type, not go to a theater where it's dark, not drive on a freeway where swoop and hits occur, not walk down the street, not go outside to pick up the paper on the sidewalk... All of these places can harmful. Which one would y'all propose that all people avoid? Don't blame the victim for the crime.
    I think they are merely suggesting that, when possible, avoid bad circumstances. For example, avoid walking into a bar where a group of men appear to be rowdy and disrespectful. With concern to other situations that cannot be avoided, the biggest suggestion seems to be to walk away when possible (providing that only comments are being made and there is no physical interaction/assault). That being said, I absolutely agree with your argument that the fault cannot be placed upon the victim, that any situation can become a bad one so you certainly have my support on this one However, I don't believe it was anyone's intention to suggest that the victim is at fault; instead, physical confrontations should not result from a statement or remark made in passing.

    P.S. Hello again gdcleanfun it's been a while!
    I'm secure enough in my self-esteem that I know I cannot handle a 150-pound guy coming at me, but I can handle a firearm to keep that man away from me. -- Maria Heil

  2.   
  3. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    I understand the sentiment behind the statements to "steer clear of certain situations" to stay safe in this world. I take exceptions to this type of thinking, however, as it is blaming the victim for the crime. Crime is everywhere. If the whole world were to steer clear of all harmful situations then people may as well not go shopping at the local grocery store, not go to any party of any type, not go to a theater where it's dark, not drive on a freeway where swoop and hits occur, not walk down the street, not go outside to pick up the paper on the sidewalk... All of these places can harmful. Which one would y'all propose that all people avoid? Don't blame the victim for the crime.
    NO WAY are we placing blame on victims, gdcleanfun, as Gabby as pointed out. The emphasis is on "situational awareness". I have exercised this all my life, given that I grew up "on the wrong side of the tracks" in Baltimore. If I was someplace that started to look "iffy", I left as opposed to staying around to see the fireworks. This is different from the "crime is everywhere" phenomena. I'm sure most of us would agree that crime can happen anywhere, anytime but that there are certain places and/or circumstances which seem to promote unhealthy/unsafe activity. It is those which would be wise to avoid. For example, it's probably not optimal to park your car in the farthest, darkest recesses of the underground parking lot, would you agree?

    For sure, it is not possible to avoid all potentialities, and that is why we carry, right?

  4. #133
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina/Charleston
    Posts
    2,388
    It just seems that some of the more recent posters have not taken the time to read ALL the posts on this thread and, for some reason, do not seem to understand where many of us are coming from when you criticize or make light of the comments. To those of you who seem to be critical and find comments to be a bit innocent and/or asinine and/or sheepish, please read between the lines on our comments and you will quickly see that we agree with you. Perhaps some of it is our fault by not dotting every "I", and crossing every "T", but do you really think we are on this forum and have our CCWPs because we want to be sheep and believe in laying down to every slimeball out there? C'mon---use a little sense and understand that we are all on the same page. I would like nothing better than to shoot every bastard who looks at my wife with snot runniing down his face as he goes into a drunken rage with disgusting language and actions, or someone who confronts me for no reason or tries to steal from me, but I understand what my responsibilites are. I also appreciate that my common sense and constant awareness of my surroundings day and night go a lot farther than not worrying about such things just because I have a CCW ready for action. This CC forum topic is visited by everyone who really agree with this issue and our different "takes" usually come down to how the laws are written in each state and what you can and cannot do under them. Lets all be nice and have a good time learning from each others' "take" on the subject without saying things that denigrate each other. If you just cannot do that and do not appreciate many of the posts, then read other threads.

  5. #134
    You should draw your weapon only to stop a confrontation that you believe is life-threatening. Even if you are justified you will likely spend some time in police custody and you may face trial. I've heard estimates that each shot fired in public will run you about $30k to $40k to defend. That doesn't include the inevitable civil suit that their family will file. You must stop shooting when the threat is over and if you're using a revolver or DA/SA automatic do not cock it - that will be construed as premeditated homocide by the prosecution.

  6. #135
    Do not cock [your revolver or DA/SA automatic]—that will be construed as premeditated homicide by the prosecution.

    The lawyer/judge who led a recent seminar I attended warned everyone that the prosecution will look for anything at all to portray you as a gun-toting bully looking for trouble. For example, if you are carrying an extra clip, they will make out that you were obviously expecting, or at least preparing for, a prolonged shootout.

    Even if you are 100% justified in drawing or firing your weapon, you will spend some time in police custody, and of course you will know to keep your mouth shut and demand an attorney. Advice from a former Assistant U.S. Attorney General: Say nothing, sign nothing, agree to nothing, admit to nothing, consent to nothing. They can't keep you very long.

  7. #136
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyDP View Post
    I think they are merely suggesting that, when possible, avoid bad circumstances. For example, avoid walking into a bar where a group of men appear to be rowdy and disrespectful. With concern to other situations that cannot be avoided, the biggest suggestion seems to be to walk away when possible (providing that only comments are being made and there is no physical interaction/assault). That being said, I absolutely agree with your argument that the fault cannot be placed upon the victim, that any situation can become a bad one so you certainly have my support on this one However, I don't believe it was anyone's intention to suggest that the victim is at fault; instead, physical confrontations should not result from a statement or remark made in passing.

    P.S. Hello again gdcleanfun it's been a while!
    Hi, Gabby, yes it's been a while, how have you been? How are the studies going?

    I was merely turning over the coin to present another side of the discussion. It was along the lines of reason that's been expressed on this site from time to time: that as there is no reason to prohibit anyone from having any firearm at any time, then there should be no reason to prohibit anyone from going anywhere at any time. That said, I don't go into rowdy bars, nor non-rowdy bars much anymore, nor into the streets if there's a riot on. I was just playing devil's advocate. I don't advocate anyone putting themselves in "sticky" situations. I can no longer run let alone shuffle away from things when they go bad so I don't purposely put myself in negative situations if I can avoid them. My DH and DS may disagree, but imho I may be crazy, but I'm not nuts!

  8. #137
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    You should draw your weapon only to stop a confrontation that you believe is life-threatening. Even if you are justified you will likely spend some time in police custody and you may face trial. I've heard estimates that each shot fired in public will run you about $30k to $40k to defend. That doesn't include the inevitable civil suit that their family will file. You must stop shooting when the threat is over and if you're using a revolver or DA/SA automatic do not cock it - that will be construed as premeditated homocide by the prosecution.

    This is strongly debatable. If you have any sources, please cite them. Take for example your common 1911 pistol. It was designed to be carried "cocked and locked", however I know of many folks who carry it with the hammer down. In this condition, one would be forced to "cock" the pistol before it will fire. Another example are the folks who carry a semi-auto (like a Glock) with an empty chamber. The slide will need to be articulated, or the gun won't fire. There are many "what ifs" to this argument. Bottom line is that if you do fire in SD, it's highly likely you will end up getting arrested (or at minimum detained by law enforcement) while they sort things out and the prosecuting attorney decides if you will be charged with a crime.

    I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY, DO NOT CONSTRUE MY OPINIONS AS LEGAL ADVICE.


    gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

  9. #138
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina/Charleston
    Posts
    2,388
    Potential arrest, legal defense bills and civil liabillity are very much a state by state issue if you have used your CCW. In SC, for example, if there are no criminal proceedings, you are absolved of any civil actions. In addition, I have read of cases where, even with my conservative pro gun feelings, I have difficulty understanding how a prosecutor declined prosecution where I would have had a hard time finding that kind of innocence.

  10. #139
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Potential arrest, legal defense bills and civil liabillity are very much a state by state issue if you have used your CCW. In SC, for example, if there are no criminal proceedings, you are absolved of any civil actions. In addition, I have read of cases where, even with my conservative pro gun feelings, I have difficulty understanding how a prosecutor declined prosecution where I would have had a hard time finding that kind of innocence.
    SC has the Castle Doctrine otherwise known as the "Protection of Persons & Property Act". You are covered in your residence and vehicle and have no obligation to retreat if: (1) the person is in a place where he has a right to be, including the person’s place of business, (2) the person is not engaged in an unlawful activity, and (3) the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent death, great bodily injury, or the commission of a violent crime.

    If someone breaks into your home they are in the process of a violent crime. A person who lawfully uses deadly force is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action...except if it is a law enforcement officer that you shoot that is performing his duties.

    So, if an LEO breaks into your home for some reason in an official capacity you can't shoot them.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    We've talked about confrontations on other threads. Thought I might start a new one to gen up new interest.

    Here's the deal: You're carrying and someone insults your wife publicly. To me, that calls for a confrontation on your part. But, now you're carrying. I don't think we can go scuffling around with somebody since that's a good way to lose control of your weapon. Walk away? That would be tough. Hand the gun to your wife? Mine has a carry permit but still...Go deposit your weapon in your vehicle, come back, and THEN smack somebody? Nahhh...If I'm gonna fight, I intend to hit first, hard, and fast; anything else sets you up to lose. So, I don't know...what do we do? I can walk away from some crap, but there are plenty of situations that I don't think I could (insulting my wife in front of me is one of them). I'm interested in hearing from the "brotherhood"...What would you do?
    1. Your wife needs to understand the situation - you are carrying a lethal weapon and cannot afford to get into a confrontation; especially one where you might wind up with a charge against you. That will cost you your permit as well as your firearm as well as several thousand dollars fighting it out in court with the DA while the other guy walks. Make your better half aware of the situation.

    2. YOU WALK AWAY WITH YOUR FINGERS IN YOUR EARS.

    3. If the OTHER party escalates the confrontation, for whatever reason, to a lethal force encounter (and you had better know exactly what that means) - YOU STILL WALK AWAY IF YOU CAN WITH YOUR WIFE. And if you cannot you are fully justified in drawing your weapon - but remember what your state laws are. If you draw and do not intend to fire you may be charged with brandishing, which is a felony in many states. This is not one-upsmanship but rather you need to avoid a confrontation at all costs. The aftermath of such an encounter is just not worth it and regretably, many do not realize this until it is too late.

    So... regardless of words exchanged - AVOID CONFRONTATION AT ALL COSTS. If the OTHER party escalates the confrontation and you are legally justified (in fear of grievous bodily harm or death, etc.) you DRAW. That usually ends the confrontation but be prepared for the worst.

    I don't think I can make it any more clear. You want to read a couple of books by BIRD called THE CONCEALED HANDGUN MANUAL and THANK GOD I HAD A GUN in which you will discover the aftermaths of numerous lethal force encounters and situations.

    And I can tell you from research and personal experience (VERY personal experience) that your best bet is avoidance and evasion. I hate to keep repeating myself, but lethal force or presenting a weapon as a very, very last resort if your lives are in imminent danger. Many states, as you will no doubt know, have no requirement to retreat. Nontheless, RETREAT!

    And above all, keep safe.

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast