Question about carrying in vehicle across non-recip states - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about carrying in vehicle across non-recip states

1. Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    1. However, NavyLT should know what navy stands for; never again volunteer yourself.

2. I would simply tell the LEO I have no illegal items in the vehicle.
    1. I started out in the US Army - Uncle Sam Ain't Released Me Yet.

2. I LIKE that answer!

You know in Washington State, both the WA State Ferry System and the Capitol grounds prohibit the carry of illegal firearms on board! WA State ferries have a sign listing prohibiting items and "Illegal weapons and firearms" is on the list. Go figure, I was really hoping to be able to legally take my illegal firearms with me, darn it!

3. Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    While I do lock horns with NavyLT on some issues. I am not on this one. However, NavyLT should know what navy stands for; never again volunteer yourself. This includes information to LEOs.

I would add to the scenario of being pulled over which has been covered. If you are not endorsed, licensed or permitted to carry in the State you're stopped in, I would not volunteer I have any firearms in the vehicle even under the protection of 18USC926A. In States such as CA, IL, MA, NJ and NY(C), I would simply tell the LEO I have no illegal items in the vehicle. They then have the burden of proof to get a search warrant. I do know that in those rabid anti States they at the minimum confiscate your firearms. Their (in)judicial system will then run you down financially.
    Well said and an oversight in my diatribe. You have hit the nail right smack on the head. MOST importantly is make sure that you have your handguns stored while in transit to the letter of the law and take into consideration local law and custom/reputation as well. I, for one, will not drive through New Jersey with a firearm stored in a SAFE in the back of my vehicle... even with federal pre-emption permitting me to do so. I simply do not want the hassle. I have never had a problem in NY state and we pretty much travel through NY state and since we live most of the year just to the north of the 49th. we are, in essence, stopped, questioned and searched every time we cross... never a problem. Not even a hint of a problem. But having said that, I would not drive through or anywhere near NY city (home of my birth) while transporting, even with federal pre-emption allowing me to do so, even with a letter from the NY state police allowing me to do so, even with a whack of LEO's in my address book, etc. Just not worth the hassle. And NJ? You want to make sure a round has not rolled into the spare tire well by accident - being caught with a hollowpoint round of any kind is a felony in NJ. Baaaaad news. And they have no sense of humour, especially in the north. On the other hand, I have a permit to carry in PA and I DO carry while driving through Phily or visiting family in Phily (I'd rather take the chance with Phily's whacko local laws and customs). When the whole family carries in Phily I figure that there's a message there somewhere. Not that I have ever had a problem. I'm the guy who had the problem with a whacko and a revolver in my nose at the home of Mickey, Orlando, where I cannot carry (yet). Working on that.

4. I live in NJ (and no, my wife won't let me move) and had a question about when I travel. NJ has a rule that you can't make any detours with your weapon in your car - only straight to the range/competition/etc... and back. If I go to PA and return to NJ, am I covered under Federal Law (which doesn't have the no detour provisions) or am I back under NJ law?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    You know in Washington State, both the WA State Ferry System and the Capitol grounds prohibit the carry of illegal firearms on board! WA State ferries have a sign listing prohibiting items and "Illegal weapons and firearms" is on the list.
    I think the Sounder trains/buses/light rail and even some city parks try to play that game.
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

Quote Originally Posted by westfield View Post
    I have a Texas CCW...I am going to do a lot of travelling by car...I know I can't carry concealed in states like New Jersey, New York and CT.
    Actually, as a non resident, you can get a CT permit to carry a gun. Apply directly to the State Police. I believe the whole thing is still entirely a mail order process.
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    18 USC 926A, Firearms Owners Protection Act (FOPA):
    US CODE: Title 18,926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm
    Does that language require that you be traveling from point A to Point B and be permitted to lawfully possess and carry the firearm in both Point A and Point B and that they be different states?

For example, say you are licensed to carry in Pennsylvania and you are going to Vermont (where you can carry without a permit) on vacation and driving thrugh New York. It seems that is exactly the situation the law describes.

But what if you are going from PA to NY and then back to PA. Can you argue that PA is point A and PA is also point B?

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Does that language require that you be traveling from point A to Point B and be permitted to lawfully possess and carry the firearm in both Point A and Point B and that they be different states?

For example, say you are licensed to carry in Pennsylvania and you are going to Vermont (where you can carry without a permit) on vacation and driving thrugh New York. It seems that is exactly the situation the law describes.

But what if you are going from PA to NY and then back to PA. Can you argue that PA is point A and PA is also point B?
    ... if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driverís compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

FOPA requires that the gun be unloaded and neither firearm nor ammunition be readily accessible.
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

Quote Originally Posted by kengrubb View Post
    ... if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driverís compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

FOPA requires that the gun be unloaded and neither firearm nor ammunition be readily accessible.
    Yes, i understand that. My question had to do with the language about "from any place" and "to any place"

"from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm"

Can the from and to places both be PA?

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Yes, i understand that. My question had to do with the language about "from any place" and "to any place"

"from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm"

Can the from and to places both be PA?
    But..if you are not licensed to carry in say NY and your trip goes from PA to NY to PA, you would not be allowed to make stops for other than basically gas.

If you were starting in say Western PA and heading to Eastern PA passing through a portion of NY, you should be ok, but that is not guaranteed.

I drive a Jeep Liberty and when going through a state that doesn't recognise my permit, I clear it and lock it and the mag in this, fastened to the seat frame.

[

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast