30 day address change notification

Thread: 30 day address change notification

1. 30 day address change notification

Anyone know what happens if you forget to notify the Sheriff after you move?

I got married a couple months ago, moved to a new address after the honeymoon and forgot to notify the Sheriff I moved. I live in Colorado (El Paso county) and its listed as a "Class 1 petty offense" to not notify them within 30 days. If I notify them on my own do they just update the information and send me a new CCW card, or will they charge me with something? I'm going to notify them either way, just want to know what I should be prepared for, if anything.

Also, does anyone know how they verify when I moved? I still own the property listed on my CCW, I just don't live there anymore.

Thanks

Notify them ASAP. I wouldn't worry about a penalty. Rule of thumb is that if you inform the authorities before they find out on their own (as in you get into some type of trouble and they come looking for you), you most likely won't be in any trouble. If you're really concerned, you can always call the issuing authority and ask them if you will be in any trouble for failing to inform them on a timely basis. Be sure to call from a pay phone and don't use your real name.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Here in PA....the way it works is you can just call the sheriff office and tell them of the change; they make a record of the change but do not send a new card. They will send the renewal notice to the new address.

When you call them, just dont tell them when you moved...if they ask tell them you are in the process of moving now. Since you still own the old property i dont see how that could be a problem.

yeah, I don't think they're gonna send CSI out or anything. Just go ahead and update the info and hope nothing happens.
    Gun control: Forcing a 95lb woman to fist fight a 300lb rapist

If you still own/have ties to the property listed with your CCW, just inform them you moved and don't even mention a date.

How/why are they going to know to challenge your dates, especially if you can show you have ties to both places now?

No worries.
    "There is no consitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen." (7th Cir. 1982, Bowers v. DeVito)Stay safe, and stay trained.www.sazsatt.com

Quote Originally Posted by AZSATT View Post
    If you still own/have ties to the property listed with your CCW, just inform them you moved and don't even mention a date.

How/why are they going to know to challenge your dates, especially if you can show you have ties to both places now?

No worries.
    +1. the fact that you still own the property where your license is connected to should keep you out of any trouble that there may not have even been in the first place.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

I just did a search for michigan about changing your address on your pistol license and this is what I found and thought it might be helpful for anyone in michigan who changes locations. I had no idea and was never told how or if I have to tell anyone that I moved to update my cpl. and I just found out why I was never told.

MCRGO - Frequently Asked Questions about Michigan Gun Laws

Q: How do I go about changing the address on my Concealed Pistol License (CPL)?
    A: There is no requirement in the statute that you have to notify anyone when you move after receiving a CPL. In fact there is no procedure established to change your address on the CPL on in the State Police database. However a section of the law (MCL28.425f) states: An individual who is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol shall show both of the following to a peace officer upon request by that officer:
    (a) His or her CPL.
    (b) His or her drivers license or Michigan personal identification card.
    Since you must change your address on your drivers license or Michigan ID card, you will have documentation of your new address in your possession.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

9. Got my new permit in the mail today. 15 days after sending out the address change notification. Came without comment from the sheriff or any other hassles. Just wanted to leave a note in case anyone else runs into the same situation.