CT non-resident permit - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CT non-resident permit

1. I hold a MA Class A LTC and will be applying for a CT Non-Resident LTC.

2 Questions:

Where / how do you go about getting a fingerprint card? Is this something that my local PD can do or do I have to go to a CT PD department or other location?

I took my Firearms safety course many years ago, but still have the certificate. Anyone know if this would still be acceptable and do I have to provide them with the original?

Quote Originally Posted by breyton490 View Post
    I hold a MA Class A LTC and will be applying for a CT Non-Resident LTC.

2 Questions:

Where / how do you go about getting a fingerprint card? Is this something that my local PD can do or do I have to go to a CT PD department or other location?

I took my Firearms safety course many years ago, but still have the certificate. Anyone know if this would still be acceptable and do I have to provide them with the original?
    CT will include a blank fingerprint card in the application packet. Fill it out VERY carefully in black ink. You should then be able to have your prints taken, usually for a nominal fee, at your local PD. Call ahead to find out when is best to come in.

Is your firearms safety course an NRA basic class? If so, those certificates do not expire. I don't believe that CT has any restirction on when the class was taken either. You can call to make sure. I'm sure they would specify on the application too, if there were a maximum time allowance. Pretty sure you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by breyton490 View Post

Is it NRA Basic Pistol Course? I tried to submit my papers for non-res CT using the Florida safety course certificate and they would not accept it. I wound up taking the NRA course with a local instructor a few days later. Just seemed simpler than trying to fight them. Copies are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Boy View Post
    Is it NRA Basic Pistol Course? I tried to submit my papers for non-res CT using the Florida safety course certificate and they would not accept it. I wound up taking the NRA course with a local instructor a few days later. Just seemed simpler than trying to fight them. Copies are fine.
    Did they give a reason for refusing that class?

From CGS 29-28

successfully complete a course approved by the Commissioner of Public Safety in the safety and use of pistols and revolvers including, but not limited to, a safety or training course in the use of pistols and revolvers available to the public offered by a law enforcement agency, a private or public educational institution or a firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Environmental Protection and a safety or training course in the use of pistols or revolvers conducted by an instructor certified by the state or the National Rifle Association,

Anyone know if this would still be acceptable and do I have to provide them with the original?
    Do NOT send the original....see Section G of the applicatioin

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Did they give a reason for refusing that class?
    Well yes and no. The certificate I sent was signed by an NRA instructor, but it was given in Florida as part of that states requirement. It only said Firearm Safety Course. I think the deal killer was it made no mention of the amount of time the course took, as well as the live fire requirements. In retrospect, I think the NRA certificate for Basic Pistol really doesn't have that info either...but that's what they really wanted to see and that's what they are most familiar with. Maybe I just got a new person that day. They told me I had to locate and contact the original instructor, get a detailed course description and then have him sign and notarize a letter to them! Now I guess you can see why I opted for the NRA course (as luck would have it) given a few days later. Yeah, it cost me some extra cash but it was a done deal without any more major hassles for me. I faxed the certificate to them and I got my permit 3 weeks later.

7. Thanks for all the feedback and info.

I checked my NRA certificate and it is for the NRA Basic Pistol Marksmanship. I actually took the class back in 1990 when I lived in CT for my CT LTC permit. I let my license expire when I moved to MA, so I need to apply for the non-resident LTC now.

Your 1990 NRA Basic Pistol course certificate will be accepted by CT.

The fingerprint card can be done at your local PD. Read the instructions - make sure that the LEO uses a black pen. It's a standard FBI card, so they should be familiar with it.

If you go to the CT DPS building in Middletown, CT, they can do both fingerprints and photo and you can drop off the application. They're very accommodating.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." ~ Ronald Reagan

Last time I had any experience with the CT pistol permit process, they specifically required live fire training. The requirements may have changed since then, my experience is from several years ago. Anyone have a more recent insight? Is live fire still required in the safety course?

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Last time I had any experience with the CT pistol permit process, they specifically required live fire training. The requirements may have changed since then, my experience is from several years ago. Anyone have a more recent insight? Is live fire still required in the safety course?
    Yes it is.

DPS Site

You are required to complete a handgun safety course, which must consist of no less than the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course," prior to submitting the application. The NRA's "Home Firearms Safety Course" and "First Steps Pistol Orientation Program" are not approved courses.

Live fire is also required. Computer-generated programs, dry-fire, other simulated shooting tools, plastic bullets, air guns or any other alternatives are not acceptable. Students must fire a semi-automatic pistol or revolver. Any questions should be referred to the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit.

Yeah, I also remember that I had to shoot both revolvers and pistols. The guy I took the course from was a fellow who ran a gunshop out of his upstairs. He took alot of his used inventory to the range so I could try before buying. I ended up shooting several different handguns that day.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast