CT non-resident permit - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CT non-resident permit

Criminal Record History

I hope someone can help me answer a question regarding the non-res CT permit application. The application seems to require you to provide the DPS with any criminal history but part of what we're paying for is for them to check our criminal history. Other states where I have obtained my permit have merely asked one to sign a release so they can get the information and don't require one to provide it. It doesn't make sense to provide them the detail that we are paying them to go and get. I have had a couple of minor scrapes over 20 years ago the details of which I cannot remember.

So if I'm understanding CT's process correctly, I would have to contact the FBI and get a copy of my criminal history ($60, I think) and then CT's DPS for the same ($75, I think), provide DPS with this information along with the fee for them to do the same thing effectively costing me more than twice what it should. This can't be right. Does anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by EMtnMan View Post
    I hope someone can help me answer a question regarding the non-res CT permit application. The application seems to require you to provide the DPS with any criminal history but part of what we're paying for is for them to check our criminal history. Other states where I have obtained my permit have merely asked one to sign a release so they can get the information and don't require one to provide it. It doesn't make sense to provide them the detail that we are paying them to go and get. I have had a couple of minor scrapes over 20 years ago the details of which I cannot remember.

So if I'm understanding CT's process correctly, I would have to contact the FBI and get a copy of my criminal history ($60, I think) and then CT's DPS for the same ($75, I think), provide DPS with this information along with the fee for them to do the same thing effectively costing me more than twice what it should. This can't be right. Does anyone know? Thanks in advance.

CT will contact the FBI for the check not you. You just have to send CT the money to pay for the FBI check and the local check....+ the application fee.

If you take an NRA class make sure it's BASIC PISTOL. They reject FIRST STEPS PISTOL as sufficient training.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

5. As they should. But the NRA has standards for issuance of its Basic Pistol course that include class hours, written examination, and live fire, no?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants ... for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

CT will accept NRA Basic Pistol plus equivalent courses (i.e. S&W, SigSauer Academy). Minimum requirements include 10 hours of instruction and live fire. The newest version of NRA Basic Pistol is only 8 hours, but CT has not commented yet. I add a session on CT firearm law to make up the difference.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." ~ Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by robmcd View Post
    CT will accept NRA Basic Pistol plus equivalent courses (i.e. S&W, SigSauer Academy). Minimum requirements include 10 hours of instruction and live fire. The newest version of NRA Basic Pistol is only 8 hours, but CT has not commented yet. I add a session on CT firearm law to make up the difference.
    When I took NRA Basic in 2009 it was only 8 hours...worked just fine when I got the CT permit.

8. Ct non-resident permit

I'm applying for CT permit this week and I'm glad I found so much good info on this site. I already have my non-resident permits from Utah, Florida, Virginia, Arizona, New Hampshire and Maine. NH will issue you a permit in about two weeks once you have a permit from any state, and they don't require fingerprints. Arizona states that you must take their state course for a permit, but they will make an exception if you have taken an NRA pistol course to prove that you have training. I received my AZ permit one week after I applied. Florida and Virginia require the NRA pistol course and you'll get your permit in about a month. Maine was pretty easy,they mailed me a complete application packet and it took less than 3 months to get my permit. Utah is also pretty easy, but you MUST take their course from a CERTIFIED UTAH instructor. Utah's permit is a great deal because it covers 30 states for only $65.25 for five years and the renewal is only $10.00 for another five years and it only took five weeks to receive their permit.

Quote Originally Posted by JOE MATAFOME View Post
    Utah's permit is a great deal because it covers 30 states for only $65.25 for five years and the renewal is only $10.00 for another five years and it only took five weeks to receive their permit.
    As of May 2011 it is now $65/$15

Connecticut's descriptions of NRA classes, particularly concerning the number of hours of instruction, have been out of date for a while now.

When I applied for my CT nonresident permit, the FBI rejected the fingerprints as unreadable, so I had them done again and mailed the second set to CT on May 18. After more than 11 weeks, CT says they're still waiting to hear from the FBI.

I see this morning that the site has changed CT from "shall issue" to "may issue" on its reciprocity maps.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBoy View Post
    I see this morning that the site has changed CT from "shall issue" to "may issue" on its reciprocity maps.
    CT should not have ever been listed as "Shall-issue" because it has always been a "may-issue" proposition in that state.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast