CT non-resident permit - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: CT non-resident permit

Minimum training is "NRA Basic Pistol." No substitute classes accepted.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

As Robmcb stated, they will also accept S&W, SigSauer Academy course. But other that that I belive you are correct. The NRA Basic Pistol.
    Security is your concern. Helping you provide it is ours.
    www.oramsecurity.com
    USMC Scout Snipers - Stealth, Silence, Precision Violence

Is it possible that CT has electronic fingerprint scanning instead of ink? Most police departments in NY now have Live Scan and is sent directly to FBI and NY DCJS. Does CT have L1 Enrollment for FBI and CT State Police Fingerprinting? Process would be quicker too!

Ink prints only

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
    Is it possible that CT has electronic fingerprint scanning instead of ink? Most police departments in NY now have Live Scan and is sent directly to FBI and NY DCJS. Does CT have L1 Enrollment for FBI and CT State Police Fingerprinting? Process would be quicker too!
    They might but it's not part of their application procedure. They require two fingerprint cards; the standard blue FBI card FD-258 and a green State card or did at the time I applied. You have to contact CT DPS for the non-resident packet. Since CT is borderline may issue, I would not rock the boat on this issue. I had my in ink prints rolled at a local UPS Store and had no issue with my permit being issued.

Keep in mind that if they did live scan, you have to travel to their fingerprinting facility to do it. That's the way it's done in Florida and Nevada. The issuing jurisdiction has to do the live scan. There is no reciprocity for fingerprinting. LVMPD in Clark County does live scan where your prints are sent to the NV Criminal Repository and the FBI. Florida has a list of LEAs who will do live scan for their CWFL. However you need to go to them. You cannot do a live scan in your home state then have the live scan transmitted to them or the FBI.

Utah while very CCW friendly only accepts in ink fingerprint cards since they just forward the cards to the FBI and put their sticker over the ORI. Fingerprinting procedures were briefly covered when I took the UT CFP instructor class last weekend for my renewal. We had the pleasure of a Utah fingerprinting tech attending the class to clear up any issues for instructors who do their own fingerprinting.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

I was rushing to get to the post office to complete my money orders so I can send out my non-resident application to CT. Well i rushed and got it out of the post office just before it closed last week. Guess What? Yesterday I get my application back certified mail and inside is a incomplete letter stating i need to include 3 checks for processing?? I'm confused, I sent it with the application but then I go check my folder that I made copy's of everything just in case. What do I find? You guessed it, the money order's!!! DAM I feel like an *ss

Does anyone know what the turn around for a non-resident application is?

I wish I could remember precisely for you. I do remember that my time wasn't too bad (weeks, not months), even though the FBI rejected the first set of fingerprints, and I had to get printed again and send another set. The people in the Connecticut office were helpful and pleasant, not officious in any way.

New England is strange. No permit is needed for Vermont, and Maine, New Hampshire, and Connecticut all readily issue nonresident permits. Massachusetts and Rhode Island don't want to issue permits and throw roadblocks in your way.

So even though the Basic pistol course that i had to take in MA for my LTC Class A (which i just received), that will be sufficient for the CT non-resident? On my certificate it states that it is sufficient for an LTC, but its from the MA state police not CT. Not sure if that matters?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Larsen View Post
    So even though the Basic pistol course that i had to take in MA for my LTC Class A (which i just received), that will be sufficient for the CT non-resident? On my certificate it states that it is sufficient for an LTC, but its from the MA state police not CT. Not sure if that matters?
    I got CT permit with Basic taken in PA. No problem where it was taken

11. Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
    Does anyone know what the turn around for a non-resident application is?
    By any chance have you since gotten a non-resident permit and can tell us what the turn around time was?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast