CT non-resident permit
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CT non-resident permit

CT non-resident permit

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the non-resident application process. I read that residents must fist apply for a local permit, and then the state. I've read conflicting info for non-residents though--do we have to do the same? Will it involve a trip to CT? I'm wondering, b/c someone here posted that you must show an embossed birth certificate, and I doubt you could do that via a photocopy. Last question: does anyone think that CT will accept the UT safety course as sufficient? Otherwise I have to go and take the NRA basic pistol as well. Anyway, many thanks! Cheers,

-Mike

Made some phone calls, and for anyone who is interested, here's the deal: Non residents need not apply for a local permit anymore. UT class "should be" sufficient, but if you want to be sure, take the NRA basic pistol.

The application is a bit confusing: here's a question for anyone who might know. On the back of the fingerprint card, it asks if you've ever been convicted of breaking any law. That would seem to include traffic tickets, right?

I don't believe non-residents ever had to apply for a local pistol permit. The ANY CCW requirement if you're out of State satisfies the local permit requirement.

I put none for breaking any law. Just about everyone has a small number of traffic cites. I didn't put mine much less do I remember when and where the few I've had since I've had a driver license have occurred. Keep in mind that traffic cites typically do not show up on an FBI background check providing you pay the fine or go to traffic school as they are considered to be civil infractions in most States.

IIRC correctly, the CT application calls for an NRA instructor number. I also don't recall if CT has a live fire requirement. If your UT instructor issued you a training certificate with their NRA instructor number you should be fine. If not, I would get some sort of training affidavit or certificate from them if they are willing to provide that with their NRA instructor number.

Another caveat about CT is they have (or had) two fingerprint cards. The standard blue FBI card and a green CT state card. This implies you must have the prints done in ink. The good thing is you only have to get fingerprinted for your initial application. Renewals do not require fingerprinting or at least didn't at the time I applied. My renewal isn't due until Oct 2010.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Thanks for the help net. When the sent me the packet, it included only the green CT fingerprint card. Anyway, thanks again,

Just an update to let everyone know about CT's current time frame:

I mailed my app on September 29th, received my LTC on November 6th. Just over a month--much better than I was expecting.

7. Quote Originally Posted by tomcat017 View Post
    Just an update to let everyone know about CT's current time frame:

I mailed my app on September 29th, received my LTC on November 6th. Just over a month--much better than I was expecting.
    Do you remember what you put down as the reason for the permit

Quote Originally Posted by misunderestimated View Post
    Do you remember what you put down as the reason for the permit
    yup: "Target, self-protection, and all legal purposes." I believe that's word for word. Let us know how yours works out!

9. Quote Originally Posted by tomcat017 View Post
    yup: "Target, self-protection, and all legal purposes." I believe that's word for word. Let us know how yours works out!

I put down protection and all other lawfull purpose.

I will get my prints done on friday along with my photos and I hope to get it out in fridays mail.

I will let you know how I make out

Larry

I am from Rockland county ny

10. It's usually alot better if you just put sport. Some departments will give you trouble over the whole self protection thing. You know how it is.
    "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by six"
    -Sgt. Jeremy Clark WHPD

For the reason you're applying, just put down "all lawful purposes". CT does not issue restricted licenses, and they are good to work with.

The minimum training requirement is NRA Basic Pistol, and must include live fire. As an alternative, they have also accepted S&W and Sig Sauer equivalent courses. Link to CT requirement.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." ~ Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast