Slow in Ct. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Slow in Ct.

  1. #11
    echo_5 Guest

    CT laws

    I think CT has a reasonable set of carry laws. A pistol permit is all-inclusive; with a permit you can buy a handgun with no waiting period, take it to the car and load it up, then holster it all legally. I do have a beef with adoption of a "Clinton ban" that outlaws specific weapons. The carry laws are fair.

  2.   
  3. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by echo_5 View Post
    I think CT has a reasonable set of carry laws. A pistol permit is all-inclusive; with a permit you can buy a handgun with no waiting period, take it to the car and load it up, then holster it all legally. I do have a beef with adoption of a "Clinton ban" that outlaws specific weapons. The carry laws are fair.
    I pretty much completely agree. The "Assault" weapons ban is stupid.

  4. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Unearthed View Post
    I pretty much completely agree. The "Assault" weapons ban is stupid.
    Seriously. Nothing quite like not being able to get an AK in 7.62 but I can go home and stroke my Mini-30 with high-caps, my .308 AR with high-caps, my .223 AR with high-caps, soon my M4gery in 6.8 with high-caps, my CX4 with high-caps, my SKS with high-caps etc...

    The worst part about the AK ban in CT is it seems completely arbitrary and so obviously pointless even from the position of a gun-grabber. What exactly is banning a 7.62 AK supposed to accomplish?

    At the very least some continuity and an all out ban on semiautomatic rifles would leave me less frustrated than to just pick one for no apparent reason and ban it for the sake of banning it. Such a ban would also leave me moving out of CT ASAP but at least there would be some logical closure.

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bellingham, WA, USA
    Posts
    733

    Newly here from Pennsylvania.

    I moved back to CT a few weeks ago from PA. I am still going through the wringer trying to get my permit here in New Haven. VERY anti department, it seems. Odd, since this is one of the more dangerous areas of the state, but I guess that is the way it usually is, right?

  6. #15
    I'm also in CT and just got my permit. The whole process from start to finish took a little over 6 months.

  7. I have to admit, it's good to know people in your local PD. I'm very familiar with the people in my department and hope to join them soon on the service. The whole thing took me about a month from start to finish.

    Alternately, it took my dad about 3 months when he got his. Both of us being active in the firearm circuits, we have rarely encountered anyone of whom the process took more than three months with an average of two.

    Of course, there are many mitigating factors to consider:

    -How many times have you moved in your lifetime?
    -Ever lived out of this country?
    -Convictions of any kind, even juvenile?
    -Where and what do you do for work?

    Most of these factors wont prevent you from getting a permit as most of you may know but it can considerably slow the process.

    For example, my father many years ago while trying to obtain an assault rifle (post-ban, lame) was held up for many months by the ATFE simply because he had an arrest over 20 years ago that never led to conviction. They didn't stop him but he did have to wait and jump through a few hoops.

    Also, don't be afraid to ask as to the status of your application. Sometimes you just get pushed to the back of the line for whatever reason and they need to be reminded of the fact that you've been waiting far longer than the legal time limit imposed by the state senate.

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by echo_5 View Post
    I think CT has a reasonable set of carry laws. A pistol permit is all-inclusive; with a permit you can buy a handgun with no waiting period, take it to the car and load it up, then holster it all legally. I do have a beef with adoption of a "Clinton ban" that outlaws specific weapons. The carry laws are fair.
    Why is it reasonable to have to have a "permit"? When I was in Ct (quite a long time ago) it was illegal to carry a handgun anywhere except from the gun shop to your home or place of business without a carry permit. Frankly, insane laws.
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

  9. Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    Why is it reasonable to have to have a "permit"? When I was in Ct (quite a long time ago) it was illegal to carry a handgun anywhere except from the gun shop to your home or place of business without a carry permit. Frankly, insane laws.
    What's so insane about requiring a permit to conceal carry a firearm? I think it's a great idea and sifts out the crazies. On the other hand, in more rural areas I think of should be okay to carry outside non concealed. I say this because open carry in higher population areas would probably cause issues in the north. Seeing as my brother got the SWAT team called on him for shooting a BB gun in the field near our house just shows how tight lipped we are about guns...you know, the things we fought with for our freedom! That was a bit of a sidetrack, but still. :)

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052
    What's so insane about requiring a permit to conceal carry a firearm?
    There is no evidence it makes any difference.

    I say this because open carry in higher population areas would probably cause issues in the north
    No doubt. Apparently the people in the north have become "subjects" waiting for "government" to take care of them and tell them how to act (including how to spend the money they earn). Kalifornia is much the same.
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratus41298 View Post
    What's so insane about requiring a permit to conceal carry a firearm? I think it's a great idea and sifts out the crazies. On the other hand, in more rural areas I think of should be okay to carry outside non concealed. I say this because open carry in higher population areas would probably cause issues in the north. Seeing as my brother got the SWAT team called on him for shooting a BB gun in the field near our house just shows how tight lipped we are about guns...you know, the things we fought with for our freedom! That was a bit of a sidetrack, but still. :)
    While we're at it, why don't we also require a permit to exercise your free speech rights, the right of the press to report the news, or your right to practice whatever religion you choose? All of these are constitutional rights, and none of them require a permit to exercise; why is 2A always treated so differently?
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

    Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast