Do you tell the CT State Trooper you have a CCW? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you tell the CT State Trooper you have a CCW?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomboy007 View Post
    Did you get a chance to watch the video?
    Yes. the first one entirely and half of pt2. I'll get to that too.

Good link. Recommended to all.
    Legalize Freedom!

building an AR on my blog

Boomboy007 I totally agree with this post, be polite, answer the questions asked but do not inform about your gun if is not necessary or asked for.
    Last edited by paramedics; 05-11-2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Forget to specified the original author

I live in Texas. My ccw is tied to my drivers license. I do not know if An officer stops me out of state if it comes up when he runs my dl. Out of courtesy if I am legal, I will let him know by handing both dl and ccl. If I amnot legal in that state, than I keep my mouth shut and deny them the right to search. If I should get cought with it and in trouble for not telling them about if, If I am not legal, that may be a fifth ammendant problem

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey View Post
    When the officer asks for your credentials:

Keep both hands on the wheel,

Look straight ahead,

Respond with "I have a pistol permit and my weapon is (location)",

Thay will tell you how they want you to move/act.

Some take it from you. A few haven't. I've never gotten a ticket
    Don't use the word "weapon" or "gun". Many police officers will respond negatively to those words. "Firearm" is a much better choice.

I asked a Sheriff who is also a friend of mine about how to handle a traffic stop while carrying. His reply was: As soon as we run the plates, it comes up that their is a CCW holder that belongs with that vehicle. So they already know, and you might as well inform them while keeping your hands in plain sight. I asked about my wife driving my vehicle who does not have a CCW and the procedure is the same. Keep your hands in plain sight, inform the officer you do not have a CCW or a weapon on you.
    Now if I am the passenger and she is driving it's the same routine, but we both keep our hands in plain sight and she informs the officer that I am the one with the CCW license and carrying. That's when I have to tell the officer I have a CCW license and ask LEO how they want me to proceed. It's a hassle sure, but I can see it from the LEO'S point of view as well. They know there is most likely a loaded Firearm in the vehicle, and they approach cautiously. Now I'll ruffle some feathers: I don't care what state your from, or what they tell you, your on the grid, and they know you have a weapon on you unless you have borrowed a vehicle from somebody that doesn't have a license for Concealed Carry. And even so once you give them your operators license and they run your background it will come up. So for what it's worth be upfront, hands in plain sight and don't make an enemy out of the officer.

Quote Originally Posted by THE DUKE OF ESSEX View Post
    I asked a Sheriff who is also a friend of mine about how to handle a traffic stop while carrying. His reply was: As soon as we run the plates, it comes up that their is a CCW holder that belongs with that vehicle. So they already know, and you might as well inform them while keeping your hands in plain sight. I asked about my wife driving my vehicle who does not have a CCW and the procedure is the same. Keep your hands in plain sight, inform the officer you do not have a CCW or a weapon on you.
    Now if I am the passenger and she is driving it's the same routine, but we both keep our hands in plain sight and she informs the officer that I am the one with the CCW license and carrying. That's when I have to tell the officer I have a CCW license and ask LEO how they want me to proceed.
    It's a hassle sure, but I can see it from the LEO'S point of view as well. They know there is most likely a loaded Firearm in the vehicle, and they approach cautiously. Now I'll ruffle some feathers: I don't care what state your from, or what they tell you, your on the grid, and they know you have a weapon on you unless you have borrowed a vehicle from somebody that doesn't have a license for Concealed Carry. And even so once you give them your operators license and they run your background it will come up. So for what it's worth be upfront, hands in plain sight and don't make an enemy out of the officer.

Following that logic....if you wife is the only person in the car...she still has to say "I am not a CCW holder and am not armed"...??? That's why the CCW should NOT be linked to license plates. What if you, as a non ccw holder, borrow a car from a friend who is a ccw holder...now the LEO is going to think that you are the CCW and expect you to inform him of same...and when you dont...because you dont know anything about that law..........

mrjam2jab, yes this is what we have to do here. Even the instructors tell their students: if someone else is going to be driving your car inform them what to do in case of a police stop. BTW I am with you on this one, except I don't think it should be linked to anything. But like the Social Security number which was never supposed to be used for I.D. it is anyway.

9. "Hi Officer, there with my drivers license is my carry permit. It is on my (left, right) hip, inside the waistband. I didn't want you to be alarmed if you happen to see it when i reach for the registration in the glove box."

Personally, I never saw the need for all the long speeches. Simply hand them your permit with your drivers license. If they have any further questions about your concerns for their being alarmed, or where the gun is, etc. they'll ask. The less talking you do (SEE THE VIDEO IN THE POST ABOVE), the less chance you're going to say something you shouldn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by THE DUKE OF ESSEX View Post
    Now if I am the passenger and she is driving it's the same routine, but we both keep our hands in plain sight and she informs the officer that I am the one with the CCW license and carrying. That's when I have to tell the officer I have a CCW license and ask LEO how they want me to proceed. It's a hassle sure, but I can see it from the LEO'S point of view as well. They know there is most likely a loaded Firearm in the vehicle, and they approach cautiously. Now I'll ruffle some feathers: I don't care what state your from, or what they tell you, your on the grid, and they know you have a weapon on you unless you have borrowed a vehicle from somebody that doesn't have a license for Concealed Carry. And even so once you give them your operators license and they run your background it will come up. So for what it's worth be upfront, hands in plain sight and don't make an enemy out of the officer.
    Not to ruffle any feathers, and with all due respect... This thread was Connecticut specific, a state which does not require notification. I'm not sure weather they connect it to your DL or registration, but I suspect that they do not.

You being from Ohio, it goes without saying that you absolutely should inform. And yes, it is probably wise to let someone know what they should expect if they are borrowing your car. Here in PA, (or in CT, if that is where I happen to be) I honestly don't care what a LEOs preference is.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Point well taken.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast