Do you tell the CT State Trooper you have a CCW? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you tell the CT State Trooper you have a CCW?

1. I've been pulled over once since getting my pistol permit. When the officer came up to the car he immediately asked me if I had any firearms in my possession. I'd never been asked this before on a traffic stop, so I would have to assume that our license plate is linked with the fact that we have a permit.

3. It must be. I have been asked the same question when pulled over. That was never the first question before i had a permit.

I haven't read the entire thread, but I've had two experiences in CT. Once I broke down in a Class II Truck hauling $100K worth of sound equipment which unfortunately somehow was packed in over the safety flares and reflectors. A state cop read me the riot act for not having them on the road even though it was daytime. And he was right. But WHAT an ATTITUDE! He said to my boss who showed up to help "I'll be back by here in one hour and if this POS isn't off of MY highway I'm writing you up." I said "Tell him if it's HIS road fix the damn potholes," from under the hood, but I don't think he relayed the message.

The other experience was my nephew became one of them, a big shot. He left because he couldn't stand them either.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey View Post
    They don't know who you are. If they see it, you might get dragged out of your vehicle by a nervous cop if you start spouting off some right-wing, pro-2A, "I know my rights!" type talk.
    I don't see that anyone is espousing "I know my rights" type talk I see that what is being counseled is to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey View Post
    All that are legally armed are on the same team.
    Be cool and they will usually reciprocate.
    No, we're not. Even the cops will tell you that
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

All these “Generic Bad experience W/ a Cop” posts would come to a screeching halt if we just followed some simple rules
    1. If you are pulled over by a cop, unless you are legally required to do so or you know (I.E. you are about to get patted down he's going to find your weapon do not inform the cop that you are armed (this assumes you are, of course, legally armed)
    2. Make the cop tell you why he pulled you over (I.E. Do you know why I pulled you over tonight Mr. Potential detainee? “No Officer I haven’t a clue please tell me.
    3. When he tells you why he pulled you over do not argue (I.E. Ok officer I’ll take my ticket now”) you can fight it in court later.
    4. Never ever, ever, ever consent to a search. Ever. if they tell you they’ll get a warrant tell them to go for it.
    5. Under no circumstances answer questions or make a statement of any kind with out your lawyer present.
    6. A traffic stop’s a given, they pull you over, you're not free to go. Other than that as soon as they contact you ask. If they say you are free to go, go. If they say you’re not ask for your lawyer and shut up.
    7. Never make small talk with a cop (I.E. ‘where are you coming from tonight Mr. Potential detainee?’ “From conducting my lawful private business officer, am I free to go?”). Cops don’t make small talk.

Follow these simple rules every time you interact with a cop and we won’t have anymore of these threads I promise
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

7. You have probably seen this before but I think it's worth seeing again.

Tips When Stopped By Police | Guns & Ammo

Thanks Pop
    The worst thing you could do with your money is save it.

Boomboy:
    "Instead, it should be a law that every person carrying a weapon illegally should be required to notify, not the other way around. With as many liberties as are being taken away, don't give away even more!"

While I like the concept, it would never pass muster. You can't force someone to inriminate himself.

Quote Originally Posted by JimPage View Post
    Boomboy:
    "Instead, it should be a law that every person carrying a weapon illegally should be required to notify, not the other way around. With as many liberties as are being taken away, don't give away even more!"

While I like the concept, it would never pass muster. You can't force someone to inriminate himself.
    Fifth Amendment at work there.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    7. Never make small talk with a cop (I.E. ‘where are you coming from tonight Mr. Potential detainee?’ “From conducting my lawful private business officer, am I free to go?”). Cops don’t make small talk.
    I'll tell you my experience: One time, I got pulled over for running a yellow light. Seriously...it was yellow. So the cop asks me where I'm coming from and where I'm going. I told him I was working late and going home. He asks where I work. I'm a little puzzled...but I have nothing to hide. I told him. He then proceeds to ask me where that is. Since I was not far from the building, I pointed. He then asks if I know a Mr Smith. I say yeah, I do. I work with him all the time. (I'm completely confused now, but I really did know the guy he was talking about, so I went along with it.) He then goes back to his car and after a few minutes he comes back and says, "Say, "Hi" to Mr Smith and thank him. I'm his brother-in-law. Here is your licence back and have a good night."

So in my case, small talk and nothing to hide...got me off a ticket. Go figure...

Making small talk with the cop - Years ago when I was a college student I was stopped for speeding. After telling the cop where I went to school etc. he asked if I knew a freind of his that went to the same school. I said no and he said well he is on the football team and I was wondering ig he was any good. DA me said he must not be if I haven't heard of him! He took no mercy on me and wrote me out a ticket. :(

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast