Taser recommends police avoid shooting Tasers at chest - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taser recommends police avoid shooting Tasers at chest

Hey General Sumter: As I began to read the posts to this thread, my first thought of a reply was answered by you. The heck with a taser, if I am in danger of my life I am not about to worry about a taser to the chest or anywhere----I will not be carrying a taser and I will use my CCW. Knew I liked your responses on this forum.

3. BigSlick - Awesome post!
    Glock Fan- HAHA!

You know the civillian tasers are worse..
    L.E Taser=5 second ride...
    Civillian Taser=30 second ride
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

4. being an LEO and having had Taser training and having been tazed as part of that training I can tell you a few things first hand.

yes it hurts like hell....and yes it works very well to imobilize you.

Given that I would take being tazed any day to being hit in the head with a night stick which is really the only other option to imobilize a subject other than shooting them. OC is inconsisient in its ability to work consistently with all subjects.

Yes it can be abused and/or overused....so can any tool given to workers. Considering the amount of use it gets daily in the world the problems are very minor and outwieghted by the alternatives that would have to be employed to subdue criminals that are far more damaging.

Dave

5. Quote Originally Posted by superdutydave View Post
    being an LEO and having had Taser training and having been tazed as part of that training I can tell you a few things first hand.

yes it hurts like hell....and yes it works very well to imobilize you.

Given that I would take being tazed any day to being hit in the head with a night stick which is really the only other option to imobilize a subject other than shooting them. OC is inconsisient in its ability to work consistently with all subjects.
    Dave
    Compared to other force options I'd agree, but I've been taser certified for almost a year and haven't felt a need to use it. OC, and open hand seems to take care of most issues. I've never even used my baton, not that I hadn't had the "opportunity" I just feel like its a bit much, OC and open handed control goes a long way when properly deployed
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

6. Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    Compared to other force options I'd agree, but I've been taser certified for almost a year and haven't felt a need to use it. OC, and open hand seems to take care of most issues. I've never even used my baton, not that I hadn't had the "opportunity" I just feel like its a bit much, OC and open handed control goes a long way when properly deployed
    I would agree that usage can be too often and I would not deploy it without solid need....but when it comes to either you getting hurt or the criminal...I will vote with a tazer shot

The tazer is a useful tool when used correctly....bottom line.

Dave

7. Quote Originally Posted by superdutydave View Post
    I would agree that usage can be too often and I would not deploy it without solid need....but when it comes to either you getting hurt or the criminal...I will vote with a tazer shot

The tazer is a useful tool when used correctly....bottom line.

Dave
    The taser is a useful tool when used correctly....and appropriately and not by officers that are unwilling to use the force continuum - Agreed?

Bad use of force:
    Sir, can you step out of the vehicle?
    Why, what's going on?
    I said step out of the vehicle now OR I will taze you.
    Ok, I just don't...Ahhh $&$&$&#* $&&$&#* (the result of taser)

This is becoming all too common IMO

8. Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    The taser is a useful tool when used correctly....and appropriately and not by officers that are unwilling to use the force continuum - Agreed?

Bad use of force:
    Sir, can you step out of the vehicle?
    Why, what's going on?
    I said step out of the vehicle now OR I will taze you.
    Ok, I just don't...Ahhh $&$&$&#* $&&$&#* (the result of taser)

This is becoming all too common IMO
    one must yes escalate thru the force continum...full agreement....

as I said it is to prevent either excessive injury to both the assailant and the officer....in your example striking the individual with a baton, OC, tazing or even ripping him out of the car may all be excessive based upon what you describe.
    The tazer is just a tool that like all other must be utilized by and officer with proper training, professionalism and proper judgment and demeanor. which unfortunetly can be lacking in some.

dave

9. Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    I have no problem with officers useing tasers but do have a problem when they use them to subdue and beat the person while subdued.... this has happened to my husband who was unarmed... no hands just kicking him in the face and upper body after a double taser. ;he couldn't move his arms to cover his face even... facial fractures, broken rib, loss of vission in left eye, numbness in left hand.... he is a doctor that does laporscopic surgery.. he wouldn't get down when asked... no video but have audio... 4 officers in Simpson county ky Sheriffs dept. in Franklin ky.... boils down to education and a deep psyc evaluation is needed to be done... one officer started it and then the others followed "they were slow to start but they finally got the hang of it" ....

deploy Taser prior to OC....

not allowed to carry both due to fire risk. Took taser begining of Feb. right before heading to Haiti shots to the chest were ok then.

11. Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter1-3 View Post
    deploy Taser prior to OC....

not allowed to carry both due to fire risk. Took taser begining of Feb. right before heading to Haiti shots to the chest were ok then.
    Fire risk? I know that was an issue back when Taser first came out most departments have non-flammable OC at this point in time. We had to document tests using First Defense Mark 4 cans, no fire...therefore everyone with our agency carries it, I suppose it could be a risk if you're working joint operations with other agencies.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast