What if from Hell... - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What if from Hell...

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    You are defending you! Stay in the damn parking lot, be a good witness and defend your own life if you have to. A jackass with a drawn gun is not the time for bravado.

Being a good witness...you should be able to tell dress, height , car, plate, ethnicitity, number of BG's and direction of travel.

You should not go in the damn store and become part of the problem. You should not engage the BG's unless they engage you.

Your place is outside...remember you have not gone in yet. You know what is going on only because you don't have your head up your butt.

Calling 911 is your #1 priority
    I hear what you're saying, Festus, and I agree it's probably the way to go. However, as I think on this more... that cute little blond co-ed is someone's daughter and I'm not sure I could just stand by and wait to see if she gets her face blown off. Don't misunderstand, I'm NOT a hero and I'm NOT looking for kudos. I'm just not sure if I could live with myself if I had a chance to save her and I didn't take it. I would kiss the feet of someone who saved my kid's life...

Just me.

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    I hear what you're saying, Festus, and I agree it's probably the way to go. However, as I think on this more... that cute little blond co-ed is someone's daughter and I'm not sure I could just stand by and wait to see if she gets her face blown off. Don't misunderstand, I'm NOT a hero and I'm NOT looking for kudos. I'm just not sure if I could live with myself if I had a chance to save her and I didn't take it. I would kiss the feet of someone who saved my kid's life...

Just me.
    JJ that is why I said if the BG starts killing then if I can do something I probably would. As long as it is just a robbery and no shooting I do not want to so something to escalate the situation. By doing that I may be the one that causes that "little girl" to be killed.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    JJ that is why I said if the BG starts killing then if I can do something I probably would. As long as it is just a robbery and no shooting I do not want to so something to escalate the situation. By doing that I may be the one that causes that "little girl" to be killed.
    Well, ya'll are right on, at least according to an LEO friend of mine to whom I presented this "what if" today. He said there's way too much possible legal fallout from making a "pre-emptive" move against the BG in this situation. He specifically brought up your point, HK, that a move on my part might cause the "little girl" to be shot. As noted, if the BG starts shooting or executing people, then the situation changes.

This is a tough one for me as we had a young co-ed abducted and killed several years ago by some sexual pervert who had just been let loose. I and others spent time combing the snow-filled ditches looking for her or other clues to her whereabouts. Her body was finally found after snow-melt in the spring. She was young, beautiful, hard-working and I cried about it more than once. Since then, I have been haunted about this kind of crap. Thus, my rather tortured response to this "what if". Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Well, ya'll are right on, at least according to an LEO friend of mine to whom I presented this "what if" today. He said there's way too much possible legal fallout from making a "pre-emptive" move against the BG in this situation. He specifically brought up your point, HK, that a move on my part might cause the "little girl" to be shot. As noted, if the BG starts shooting or executing people, then the situation changes.

This is a tough one for me as we had a young co-ed abducted and killed several years ago by some sexual pervert who had just been let loose. I and others spent time combing the snow-filled ditches looking for her or other clues to her whereabouts. Her body was finally found after snow-melt in the spring. She was young, beautiful, hard-working and I cried about it more than once. Since then, I have been haunted about this kind of crap. Thus, my rather tortured response to this "what if". Damn.
    I know what you are saying. When you see the crimes committed by some of these low life animals it is almost enough to make you want to start hunting. Guess that is why I always liked the Charles Bronson Death Wish Movies.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Changing the scenario slightly, if I am in the store and BG pulls a weapon, if I gotta a chance to get the drop on him, with clear LOS, I'll take it. I'm trained heavily in defensive tactics, can pretty much hit what I am aiming at and am wicked fast on the draw (no brag, just fact). Sometimes you just gotta DO, and damn the legal consequences. In the end, I face the Ultimate Judge and that's all I'm worried about.

It seems like something's missing, here.

I'm not familiar with laws in other states, and not an expert on Texas laws, but I'm pretty sure that you're equally immune to prosecution or suit for defending others and others' property as if you were defending your own. In other words, you get to use your gun to stop an armed robbery or assault even though it's not being perpretrated against you.

So many of these posts express deep concern about getting to trouble for stepping in. I believe that in TX, you could legally intervene if you wanted to. Regardless, you're still responsible for the destination of every bullet that comes out of your gun.

Are so few other states like TX in this regard, or am I even wrong about TX laws?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post

I'm not familiar with laws in other states, and not an expert on Texas laws, but I'm pretty sure that you're equally immune to prosecution or suit for defending others and others' property as if you were defending your own. In other words, you get to use your gun to stop an armed robbery or assault even though it's not being perpretrated against you.

So many of these posts express deep concern about getting to trouble for stepping in. I believe that in TX, you could legally intervene if you wanted to. Regardless, you're still responsible for the destination of every bullet that comes out of your gun.

Are so few other states like TX in this regard, or am I even wrong about TX laws?
    You are with in your right in the state of Texas. However if something goes bad during the altercation and one of your rounds hits an innocent 3rd party then you may be held liable for that. Remember you are accountable for every round that leaves your weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post

And certainly not all states provide the immunity from criminal AND civil actions that apparently TX does, so there seem to be a number of stories of the state not bringing charges but allowing the effin BG to do so. Thus, all the angst and CYA posts...

Agree with the sentiments expressed here. Your foremost duty is to return home to your spouse and kids and continue to support them and nurture them. You don't need your legal fees to become a financial burden on them or, worse yet, wind up in prison, leaving them in poverty.

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    Unfortunately I think we're all animals. I'd love to be able to help, but our society is so litigious that i'd either end up in criminal court, or civil court (likely both).

Self defense is a personal responsibility. I embrace that as it is my duty to protect myself, and my family from harm. Unfortunately, actions taken by me not acting in an official capacity are actions that I will have to deal with personally- IE: I'm paying the legal fees, and if I lose I'm going to prison.

It would haunt me for life if I were to see the situation occurring,have the means to stop it, and due to my inaction someone be hurt or killed. However, Unless/until the law stops favoring the criminals then I have no choice but to be a witness..

The government and the liberal politicians forced my hand in the matter. If I act I'm a vigilante, if I don't I'm a coward. At least this coward won't be a bankrupt (legal fees) prisoner.
    ClearSight, I hope you aren't the only one around when my family or me need help. I guess I will be a bankrupt prisoner, because I will NOT stand there and let an innocent person be hurt (family or stranger). Self defense is a personal responsibility??? Everybody does not have the means to be armed, or the ability to fight off a "bad guy". As long as it appears to be robbery only, hey, it's only money. But, if it goes beyond that, then I will do whatever I can to help an innocent person.So, you go ahead with your plan, I will stick with mine.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast