How far away is does a person have to be to be a threat? - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How far away is does a person have to be to be a threat?

1. Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Regardless of distance, learn how to point shoot. Aiming, sights, even lasers take time--every bit of a second is valuable and point shoot gives it to you and still allows you to engage a threat.
    and if you miss your intended target and kill an innocent bystander do you explain to the cops that you were 'point shootin'?

I think instinctive shooting methods are awesome, but I can't bring myself to consider any type of point shooting as a serious methadology for any shot more than 3 yards.

Hey CST: Let me throw the question back to you per your last reply---if you aim and miss or your laser is out of kilt and you kill a bystander do you not expect the police to want to know why you have a firearm and are so poor at shooting it? Point shoot is not the be all and end all, it is a method that provides you with additional skills that can save your life. Your argument is sarcastic and fallacious.
    Hey micpl: Lighten up a bit. Didn't anyone tell you that the best defense is avoidance. No one has said that you should tell your family to enjoy their time with the slime and have a good time, and then turn and run away. You even contradicted yourself with the true meaning of your statement "train to shoot and know when to shoot"; to me that means you know when to avoid and does not mean that you just lick your chops everytime someone approaches with an attitude of "let's get it on". By the way, as you let loose your barrage of bad language and insults, learn how to spell.

4. Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey CST: Let me throw the question back to you per your last reply---if you aim and miss or your laser is out of kilt and you kill a bystander do you not expect the police to want to know why you have a firearm and are so poor at shooting it? Point shoot is not the be all and end all, it is a method that provides you with additional skills that can save your life. Your argument is sarcastic and fallacious.
    I don't have a laser on my carry guns, I use the sights. Yes the police would want to know why you're a poor shot. HOWEVER, I think the instinctive methods are not as widely accepted in traditional marksmanship. Explaining to a jury that you were point shooting just seems like a sure way to lose for any negligent charge, or in civil court.

I've trained in different types of 'point shooting' including Isralei combat shooting, and combat focus shooting. I think its cool, and for the most part works at close distance, hence why I said not something I'd use over 3 yards.

Your original and follow up posts are smug, and have a feeling of arrogance.

Hey cst: Wish to apologize for unseemly language. Appreciate your many posts and their information. Agree that 3-5 ft is the only appropriate point shoot distance. Be safe fellow forum user and contributor. Again, I apologize.

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

7. We can stay here indefinitely talking about the 21 foot rule with variables added. Two people facing each other (gun dual style)... then, when you add in the variables, the person with the retention holstered concealed weapon doesn't stand a chance.

LE stand off is the typical rule of thumb when we talk about the 21 foot rule, in real life most people will never get their weapon out, assuming the CC person has their weapon holstered and concealed, not open carry.

If a target is at 30 feet and decides to pull a knife and run at you, most people, again.. most people... the body can not register with the eyes are seeing, so there's a pause for a reality check (momentarily) before the brain believes (react to) what it sees, have you every talk or heard someone say/state to someone and they experience something shocking, I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT, I COULDN'T BELIEVE MY EYES. Look at the photo of the oswald assassination... its called A STATE OF SHOCK.

If your in confrontation with someone, or for some reason your threat level raises, then you may be at more at the ready, and still UNDER PRESSURE... you have to get the weapon out, on target... and make the shot... hoping that your shot stops the target.

Learn how to move and shoot, shoot and move, that's your best chance of surviving a shootout or confrontation, standing your ground to out draw/shoot someone can get you killed.

This happens to LE and civilians, the natural reaction to a surprise threat is... drawing your weapon to protect yourself, when it should be MOVING, not becoming a stationary target, COVER whenever possible, your chances of being shot are decreased.

Learn how to retreat, draw, shoot while creating distance, it is...a defensive tactic. Good Luck and TRAIN.

"of course this assumes you have reason to believe they have intention to inflict great bodily harm or death, and other force options or options do not exist or are not practical."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX B N M

Doesn't that depend on the State in which you live? In some States, there is no law that you HAVE to retreat. If you feel threatened, you can use deadly force.

I hope I am not spreading incorrect info. However, if someone is a threat to me, my attention is going to be on that threat, not on searching for an escape route. I can't do both of those at one time. I could get shot or knifed, or clubbed, or whatever, by taking my eyes away from the threat just for a second, while looking in another direction for an escape. I think I can convey that in court in a manner in which a jury can understand.

How far away is does a person have to be to be a threat?
    Osama Bin Laden is over 5,000 miles away and I consider him a threat.

But to answer your question, if you worry about the exact distance then it is too late to do anything about it. There are too many variables to even worry about exact distance and trying to define such a thing. To further muddy the waters it will not matter when you get in court as one side will say he was too far away and the other side will say he was well within range no matter if it was 2' or 200'. Argue XD vs. Glock, that will be easier.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456