How far away is does a person have to be to be a threat?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How far away is does a person have to be to be a threat?

How far away is does a person have to be to be a threat?

I was talking to a person last night that said that before they would draw and fire a threat woould have to be within 5 feet. I passed on that at 21 feet that it takes little over a second to close the distance etc. Stil this person was dead set on that distance.
    Here is what I am wanting to know at what distance do you see a person a threat that would cause you to draw and then to fire?
    NRA CRSO and Instructor: Certified Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Certified Home Firearm Safety, Refuse to Be a Victim
    SABRE Civilian Safety Awareness Program Instructor

Our class emphasized that 20' or so was well within the limits of deadly threat. A grown man can cover that distance in less time than most folks can draw a pistol. Within 5', you'd better just hand over your wallet.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

4. Depends on the type of threat

Unarmed: I wouldn't use my firearm...
    Blunt object (bat, stick, pipe, etc) 21' or less
    A knife? 21' or less
    A pistol? I know I can shoot out to 25 yards so I have to assume they can too....75ft or less
    A rifle? they're a threat period.

Just my opinion...and many will disagree but I'm not going to wait until they're at an imaginary 'X' marks the spot to engage...

of course this assumes you have reason to believe they have intention to inflict great bodily harm or death, and other force options or options do not exist or are not practical.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    A knife? 21' or less
    A pistol? I know I can shoot out to 25 yards so I have to assume they can too....75ft or less

Just my opinion...and many will disagree but I'm not going to wait until they're at an imaginary 'X' marks the spot to engage...

of course this assumes you have reason to believe they have intention to inflict great bodily harm or death, and other force options or options do not exist or are not practical.
    Works for me, with the exception of "unarmed" cause that depends: if they're 6'5" and 300 lbs and wearing a black belt and they're threatening bodily harm, I consider them dangerous!! Then, if they step to the magic 21-foot marker, well....

The first time this was talked about in one of my classes the instructors asked for volunteers. Both instructors were retired military people.

The instructors put on protective gear, a white T-shirt and gave the 'hand raiser' a paintball gun. The instructor had the guy, who was in his mid twenties, lower the gun to is side. The instructor that was not participating ran the exercise.

The one that had on the gear got 20 feet from the volunteer. On the count of three both parties were going to move. The instructor was going to try to hit the volunteer with a soft tube and the volunteer was going to shoot the instructor.

Seven out of five times the volunteer never got a hit and the instructor was able to hit the volunteer every time. Even after the first try and everyone knew what was going to happen. The first and second time the volunteer never go off a shot.

They were trying to teach us that even if we know what is going to happen there is a strong possibility that we can get hurt.

They taught us that you have to be aware of your surroundings and be prepared to defend yourself and all costs. There is no guarantee that we will win every confrontation but we had to try as we might be the only defense our family had.

A knife? 21' or less
    +1 - Although the rifle bit... If he is 75 ft away, I probably don't know he is gunning for me..

The original question is a little vague and the answer above replies to the missing info.. What is the threat..

Quote Originally Posted by charliej47 View Post

They taught us that you have to be aware of your surroundings and be prepared to defend yourself and all costs.
    Just remember that part of knowing your surroundings is being aware that there may be more than one threat..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

8. Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    +1 - Although the rifle bit... If he is 75 ft away, I probably don't know he is gunning for me..

The original question is a little vague and the answer above replies to the missing info.. What is the threat..

Just remember that part of knowing your surroundings is being aware that there may be more than one threat..
    Really enjoyed your Baby Jesus...I'm not sure its still legal to say Jesus but I've always been a maverick. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!

original question is a little vague

I wrote the question that way so it is an open question. I was/am looking to see not just distance but what people see as a threat to themselves.
    NRA CRSO and Instructor: Certified Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Certified Home Firearm Safety, Refuse to Be a Victim
    SABRE Civilian Safety Awareness Program Instructor

A knife? 21' or less

I agree with clearsight. It depends on what weapon they have. 5' might be OK with "bare hands" but if they have any kind of weapon, even just a rock or brick, five feet is too close!
    In the beginning, the patriot is a scarce man -- brave, hated, and scorned. But when his cause succeeds, the timid join him. For then, it costs nothing to be a patriot. -- Mark Twain

11. I'd like to add fuel to the fire here with a new WHAT-IF:

Say it's dark, vision is limited. A sketchy looking character charges DIRECTLY at you, full throttle, from 30 feet away. You KNOW you are being attacked by some means / with some intention, and you fear for your safety, for your very life. But you don't know if this guy coming at you is young or old, armed or unarmed... you're not even certain yet if he's acting alone. It's a blitz attack, and in another second & a half, he'll be on you.
    What are you going to do?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast