Question I was pondering??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question I was pondering???

Quote Originally Posted by Ga9mm View Post
    Point it at my dog, I will probably mistake it for being pointed at me, and then act accordingly.
    Perfect. +1

Quote Originally Posted by PascalFleischman View Post
    In TN, the "Castle Doctrine" allows for deadly force on your property. Dude I don't know has a gun pointed at ANYONE on my property, he's as good as dead.
    I am not so sure on that. Obviously if he is on your property with a weapon is a little different but I do recall from my carry class that you do NOT have the right to use deadly force to protect personal property (in TN) how ever if you go to stop someone and the threat is turned to you then you have the right of self defence, it would come down to how TN thinks of pets (in a legal term). I do like the answer of if someone is pointing a gun at my dog then I would feel he could also point it at me before or after he is done with the dog.
    "The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country." - General Patton

This scenario mainly depends on individual state laws. In SC since he is on your property with a firearm drawn he's probably going to be history regardless of the dog. A dog and pets in general are property and you have a right to protect your property. The Castle Doctrine doesn't specify what property you can protect. The old saying; Dead men tell no lies is true in this case. The gun in is hand proves my right to protect my property and myself.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

My dog is not a piece of property...oh yes! he is a Democrat, depending on me for everything, but he is a member of this family -- my family. If anyone even think of harming my dog, s/he has ME to answer for. My dog will die of either old age or some sort of early undetectable illness but not from a bullet nor a baseball bat. I AM SERIOUS!
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    My dog is not a piece of property...oh yes! he is a Democrat, depending on me for everything, but he is a member of this family -- my family. If anyone even think of harming my dog, s/he has ME to answer for. My dog will die of either old age or some sort of early undetectable illness but not from a bullet nor a baseball bat. I AM SERIOUS!
    My sentiments exactly! Don't get me wrong they were a part of my family. My dogs got more respect from me than my own kids.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    My dogs got more respect from me than my own kids.
    Hell, my dogs even eat better than I do!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with that philosophy. If you're aware of the laws governing you and you choose to obey them or thumb your nose at them... that's your business and your choice.

I have two Cocker Spaniels and a cat. They're closer to me than a lot of members of my family. They've earned love and respect and they get it. They live better lives than many children I know of. I have spent money I didn't have on medical care for my pets and I would do it again. If the law in my state allowed I'd have no problem with terminating the existence of any scum bag that threatened them. It's just too damned bad but that's not the case.

I love these scenarios. We need to train our bodies to be able to effectively defend ourselves but too often we forget we need to train our minds just as much... if not more. When the actual situation does arise there's no time to consider the ramifications of our actions.

As I've said before... I have responsibilities... to people... and in my thinking I can't afford to spend the rest of my life in prison because I defended my dog. If you think otherwise... I have no problem with that... none at all. I just hope everyone gives this a lot of consideration before the actual situation arises.
    "If guns cause crime, all mine are defective" -Ted Nugent

Point it at my dog, I will probably mistake it for being pointed at me, and then act accordingly.
    +1

My dogs are always with me properly leashed so if you have a gun pointed at them, you'll have me and my wife pointing ours at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Springer M-14 View Post
    ... you'll have me and my wife pointing ours at you.
    If I started to describe the nicest thing my wife would do to someone who pointed a gun at one of our dogs, I would get put on a watch list most likely.

Exclamation No good can come of this

Not only would I yell at the perp to get his attention...I would probably be ready for him when he brings his gun to bear on me or my family. You see I realize that animals do not have a soul but also If you are so stupid as to shoot a man's dog in broad daylight then you need to be stopped. Calling 911 and reporting an armed assailant on my property is step one. Yelling at the guy to drop the gun is step two. If he does great...If he does not...when he turns and brings the gun to bear it's Katy bar the door because this is going to escalate in a bad way very quickly. At least it will all be on the 911 tapes for the jury.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12