Question I was pondering???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Question I was pondering???

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    GA but a resident of TN
    Posts
    170

    Question I was pondering???

    Let me start off with I like to sit and think about different situations and then convince myself of the best said solution to said question. I come up with some pretty bazar situations at different times but this was is really kinda eerking me.

    Your in your home wife kids home or maybe not (part of the what if's) the dog is out back inside the fence or maybe chained up in your yard. Dog starts barking and you go see whats the bother. Standing there is a person pointing a gun at your dog what do you do? Is your dogs life considered in the 3rd party law? I feel he is part of my family period but not sure if the law would. Now lets say the guy is acctually on your property doing this or that the kid(s) are outside with in eye sight of this does that change anything? What if you have one of those wireless fences and the guy is outside the boundry or inside? And last lets say the guy is using a rifle from the neighbors yard (outside of pistol range) Again I have not been able to convince myself 100% (close enough) as to what I would do so thoughts or 2 cents are more then welcomed.
    "The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country." - General Patton

  2.   
  3. legalese

    Quote Originally Posted by marionandjohn View Post
    Let me start off with I like to sit and think about different situations and then convince myself of the best said solution to said question. I come up with some pretty bazar situations at different times but this was is really kinda eerking me.

    Your in your home wife kids home or maybe not (part of the what if's) the dog is out back inside the fence or maybe chained up in your yard. Dog starts barking and you go see whats the bother. Standing there is a person pointing a gun at your dog what do you do? Is your dogs life considered in the 3rd party law? I feel he is part of my family period but not sure if the law would. Now lets say the guy is acctually on your property doing this or that the kid(s) are outside with in eye sight of this does that change anything? What if you have one of those wireless fences and the guy is outside the boundry or inside? And last lets say the guy is using a rifle from the neighbors yard (outside of pistol range) Again I have not been able to convince myself 100% (close enough) as to what I would do so thoughts or 2 cents are more then welcomed.
    My opinion..most of these scenarios would probably be prosecuteable(sp).With all the circumstances and what ifs that would come up, I suspect that you would need a very good lawyer.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    GA but a resident of TN
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by NRA UR2 View Post
    My opinion..most of these scenarios would probably be prosecuteable(sp).With all the circumstances and what ifs that would come up, I suspect that you would need a very good lawyer.
    I take it you mean the use of deadly force would be prosecuteable. I am not saying thats what I would or wouldnt do, thats why I asked the question. I know what the law of my state say and understand the law for the most part (except the pet part) I am wondering what would you do given the situations. If my kids or wife were out side then the first notion the guy made towards any of them would be game over for him but that is besides the point and the point of the question is just a what if scenerio and to ponder about how you feel you would react. I truly belive I would go outside and retrieve my dog, after all I am on my property and wether I have a permit or not does not stop me from being armed (atleast in my states)
    "The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country." - General Patton

  5. #4
    Do I feel threatened? Do I fear for the safety of my wife or kids by an immediate threat. (a man pointing a handgun or rifle is a threat.) I will remove the threat. By the way do not threaten my dog either.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    108
    Here in Florida, You got gun pointed at my Dog, you are history... You are commiting a Felony on my property.

  7. #6
    Point it at my dog, I will probably mistake it for being pointed at me, and then act accordingly.

  8. #7
    The answer to your question varies according to where you're located. I know that here, in Michigan, your pet is considered personal property and deadly force is not permitted to protect property. I've heard a few people suggest that in some places you are authorized using deadly force to defend property... but I have no idea where.

    I ran the same scenario through my head and made it my business to find the answer.
    "If guns cause crime, all mine are defective" -Ted Nugent

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by lplettie View Post
    The answer to your question varies according to where you're located. I know that here, in Michigan, your pet is considered personal property and deadly force is not permitted to protect property. I've heard a few people suggest that in some places you are authorized using deadly force to defend property... but I have no idea where.

    I ran the same scenario through my head and made it my business to find the answer.
    Texas.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina/Charleston
    Posts
    2,388
    In SC the old agricultural rules still apply. Animals are just that--animals and do not have the same protection as humans. Having said that there is an element of he said, he said here in that you can easily convince yourself that you had a reasonable expectation that your life was being threatened by a person who is in possession of a firearm that is aimed in your direction, if not directly at you. An example in my community involved a few dogs and a cat. The question asked of the LEO after the cat was killed by the dogs was could I have shot the dogs before or while they were attacking the cat. The answer was no but with a wink and a nod the LEO basically said the fine for such an act is probably worth it if it is your cat. IMO if I have a dog that is a member of my family, I will protect it since, by my own definition, it IS a member of my family and I will always believe that this individual, who apparently finds it fun to try and shoot my dog for no reason, would just as soon shoot me and I would definitely have a reasonable fear for my own life and safety BUT I will need an attorney.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by marionandjohn View Post
    Let me start off with I like to sit and think about different situations and then convince myself of the best said solution to said question. I come up with some pretty bazar situations at different times but this was is really kinda eerking me.

    Your in your home wife kids home or maybe not (part of the what if's) the dog is out back inside the fence or maybe chained up in your yard. Dog starts barking and you go see whats the bother. Standing there is a person pointing a gun at your dog what do you do? Is your dogs life considered in the 3rd party law? I feel he is part of my family period but not sure if the law would. Now lets say the guy is acctually on your property doing this or that the kid(s) are outside with in eye sight of this does that change anything? What if you have one of those wireless fences and the guy is outside the boundry or inside? And last lets say the guy is using a rifle from the neighbors yard (outside of pistol range) Again I have not been able to convince myself 100% (close enough) as to what I would do so thoughts or 2 cents are more then welcomed.
    In TN, the "Castle Doctrine" allows for deadly force on your property. Dude I don't know has a gun pointed at ANYONE on my property, he's as good as dead.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast