what do I do? - Page 5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: what do I do?

1. A note on judging a book by it's cover and the "look" of the guy...
    In College I rode a motorcycle and wore jeans and had a BIG beard and walked up to a car to ask what time it was, the guy in the car pulled a knife out ... not because he intended to attack, but because he was scared of me and had hoped to defend himself if I had bad intentions.

I decided to shave and change my look because I didn't want everyone scared of me.
    After shaving and getting a haircut, I noticed while walking to classes or anywhere that LOTS of people were bumping into me all the time, something that never happened to me in years, because they all had been walking on the other side of the street I guess.

Anyway, many many years later I decided I was tired of people bumping into me, (almost like they were agressive bullies?) and later, I was also not real comfortable with some of today's aggressive teen gangs, so I grew my old "look" back .... now people don't bump into me, they leave me alone, and 100% of the "scary looking biker gang looking guys" now nod to me and some even compliment my beard etc, and those are guys who would have scared ME, except they are smiling and nodding and saying "nice accessories" to me.

I've seen feeble old men attacked while walking out of a bank, they "looked" like an "easy target" .... sometimes a scary looking guy is merely using HIS "look" as a preventative self-defense measure to avoid confrontation in the first place. (but is peaceful as a lamb)

I've never been in prison or hung out with motorcycle gangs, I don;t use drugs and I don't even drink at all, not even beer ... in fact my bike was a Honda Automatic Transmission and I drive a mini-Toyota, worked at a law firm for 25 years, was accepted to law school etc ...

My "look" was merely to avoid confrontation from REAL "bad guys"

Well, Maybe I shouldn't have told y'all this, now you'll push me off the sidewalk <grin>

.... Just pointing that out.

not to read to much into ones image, or get too far off topic, but someones image can send mixed signals to people, especially this day and age. in my line of work, i go to many different homes and see many different people. about 70% of them do get the wrong vibe from me. but once they hear me open my mouth and actually start talking, they realize that im not a rude or disrespectful young punk thats out to harm them. i say sir and ma'am treat my customers with the highest respect and that def. plays an important role for my company. and just yesterday i scared a little old lady who was behind me when i was buying a pack of smokes that she stayed about 7ft back from me, so i turned around and initiated conversation to put her at ease. within seconds she closed the huge barrier that vibe was gone. but as far is this thread goes, just do what you feel comfortable with doing. everyone has different feelings about how to go about different scenarios.
    "You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."

OK, this is REALLY off-topic, but it might save someone some heartache, so here goes: If you ever do run into an "outlaw" MC, do NOT refer to them as members of a "gang". This is a real sore spot with one-percenters (look it up). MC stands for Motorcylce CLUB.

BTW, you ever get in a jam of some sort, and "outlaw" club members are around, they might be your best allies. There are many Patriots among these clubs whose membership includes a lot of vets and active-duty military. Treat 'em with respect and you get respect back in spades.

Told you this was way off-topic.

Hey JJ: Per your last post, I recently was on a cruise with 4000 passengers (Freedom of the Seas). Over 1500 of the passengers were part of a Harley club. Their idea of "formal night" was leather chaps. Guess what, they drank a lot, had a lot of tatoos (and that was the women) and were having a good time, and, in the process, raised over $100,000 for kidney dialysis units. Like you said, looks can be VERY deceiving and as I said, that guy coming toward you who you think may be a bad guy may, in fact, be a first class citizen or even an undercover LEO who is also be looking at you with suspicion as you reach into your pocket and show a "hint" of a firearm. It would seem that the prepopnderance of replies would seem to indicate that you try walking away in some fashion from a direct interraction with the guy (cross the street)---if he also crosses the street now we are in a different scenario. IMO, any talking on your part is not a good idea--it escalates the situation by having him respond as he gets closer to you. He still has every right to not only respond but continue to come closer to you--he has not done anything wrong except have the wrong look in your mind's eyes and you still have no right to even hint at a firearm.

Its unlikely they want to pet the little doggie!
    Make eye contact,
    Call the law while,that way they can hear whats happening,
    Crossing the street while watching them!
    I'd have that weapon ready to use just don't show it,till needed!
    If they are coming for you, drop the phone , Shoot the Thug!
    Tell cops he was coming at ya & wouldn't answer what he wanted,or why he were focused on you!
    When your in fear for your life,you have a right to protect it

This is something a friend of mine told me about when she was in college. She went to a school in Brooklyn, NY. After class one night, someone started following her. She crossed a few streets, and moved a bit faster. Her tail followed suit. She said she wasn't where she could go inside somewhere, she had to keep walking. She took out her cell phone, called 911, and just held it in her hand. With her other hand she tried opening car doors, banging on them, doing anything and everything she could to set off car alarms. Police came by, saw the tail, questioned him, and ended up arresting him for two or three counts of rape that had occured in the previous weeks. That kind of thing goes to show - be aware of your environment, and take advantage of everything possible.

8. Training teaches you how Assessing a situation enhances your ability to identify a Target/targets. Because your armed and chambered doesn't mean you should be fearless, the last thing your want to do is shoot someone, or have someone shoot you. A good strategy is avoidance, escape, and retreat if possible, as a last resort... you shoot.

The sooner you assess and identify, the sooner you can take action. If your walk down the street and its dark, and you see someone on your side of the street walking towards you at 100-200 feet away, cross to the other side of the street, then start assessing, don't wait till your distance closes.

Hey gunsite: Your second sentence in your last post says it all and I absolutely agree with it. IMO there are many posts that clearly suggest the mindset of some posters that are way to "macho" and, quite frankly, are scary. The very last thing you want to do in any situation is confront anybody, anything at anytime. In SC we have the "do not retreat" arm of our regs but it does not mean you just stand there waiting to blast away because the law says you can (in a way). Thanks for your continuing and very informative and sane comments throughout this forum.

10. Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey gunsite: Your second sentence in your last post says it all and I absolutely agree with it. IMO there are many posts that clearly suggest the mindset of some posters that are way to "macho" and, quite frankly, are scary. The very last thing you want to do in any situation is confront anybody, anything at anytime. In SC we have the "do not retreat" arm of our regs but it does not mean you just stand there waiting to blast away because the law says you can (in a way). Thanks for your continuing and very informative and sane comments throughout this forum.

Thanks,
    Training a private citizen... the key is, how to survive/prevent a confrontation, and how to react with deadly force.

i dont avoid people just because i have a gun. i didnt do so before i started carrying nor would i do so now. like i said, if someone has a problem or an intent, then its going to be initiated regardless.
    "You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast