what do I do?
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what do I do?

what do I do?

I am walking my friendly small dog. It is early evening. I am armed with a 5 shot revolver in a holster concealed under my jacket.
    A questionable looking character is walking DIRECTLY toward me. He is making eye contact. He is physically larger, and many years younger. Prison tats cover his arms. He is wearing a long white t-shirt or a hooded garment.
    You KNOW one, or all of the following is going to happen. You are about to be:
    1. Asked for directions.
    2. Pan handled.
    3. Mugged.

What do I do?

The only thing I can think of is get in the middle of the street. I am not going to put my hand on my firearm, tipping him off to it's presence.

What do I do? Run? Change dogs? To late for that.
    Display my Concealed Carry Badge, and yell "halt, or I will fire?"
    What will i do?

I would definitely MOVE. Something real obvious, like cross the street immediately. You gotta trust your "internal warning alarm". If he follows, then your alert level goes way up and you have other decisions to make. If he doesn't, problem solved.

Cross the street. If he follows use cell phone. Let him know you are carrying.
    When all over lose the badge.

Quote Originally Posted by NMHunter View Post
    Cross the street. If he follows use cell phone. Let him know you are carrying.
    When all over lose the badge.
    The badge is an attempt at humor. Wouldn't own one. It is a sure way to end up in the local jail.
    Ok, I move across the street, he keeps on coming. I can't show my firearm to everyone who I don't like their appearance.
    If I show my firearm, I will be brandishing. Remember the potential perp is walking toward me and wants to engage me in some manner. Perhaps he wants to know where the local library is?

like you said maybe he wants to know where the library is.......you can stop and talk just keep yourself at a distance that you feel comfortable with........remember you can't judge a book by its cover...........

Move and speak.. If he's making eye contact. ask if you can help him, at the least he will slow to formulate a reply. Base your actions on a verbal and physical reply, as opposed to just his movements

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    The badge is an attempt at humor.
    You know that you can't only have the badge. You need the sash, jacket and T-shirt to go along with the badge!!

I posted this on the other thread How far away is does a person have to be to be a threat?

Ask JJFlash, I love a good what if. This one is...

In low light condition.
    Keep a hand on it. Ready to draw it and keep it close, with left hand holding a flashlight turn it on and light the character up. I know of no law that states you can't illuminate a stranger approaching you. It will indicate to them that you are aware of their presence. It will also serve to create blindness and may panic them. If they intend you harm they will be on edge and possibly nervous already. It will allow you to better ID them. Shooting a pan-handler or a lost pedestrian will get you in trouble. Need not say more...

In daylight condition.
    Keep eyes focused on them and keep hand on the grip of your weapon. Keep them at a distance if possible do not back into a wall or other tight space. If possible move out of their path. If they redirect and attempt to cross paths or remain focused on you then I would have to say it's more than directions or loose pocket change they may be after. Move away with a purpose and keep checking their location. If they pursue its game on start dialing 911 now. If possible get to a place where other people are. Witnesses. If you are alone and no others are around and you are still being pursued, time to make a stand and let them know you are not the easy mark. Dial 911 quickly and report it if they flee. Dial 911 and report it if you have to shoot..

I recommend a good compact tactical flashlight along with a good knife as part of the survival kit...

Just my opinion... with some input from LEO friends I have had over the years.
    Good "What if?"...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Keep them at what distance, though? Inside of 20 feet or so, they can get to you before you draw. How do you stop someone from approaching closer than 20 feet? Gotta be as awkward as just say, crossing the street immediately. If your warning alarms are already going off, why let him get closer? Realize he might only be looking for the library, but I'm not willing to play those odds.

Just me.

Great nite for the patriots, eh Dave? We're celebrating at JJFlash's house.

Why can't you put your hand in your jacket and have your gun in your hand? I've had this exact scenario with 3 youths approaching me and that's just what I did - except my 5-shot was in my front pocket in a pocket holster. I looked them righ in the eyes and kept walking toward them. They crossed the street.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast