Third Party Protection? - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Third Party Protection?

i know a lot of instructors tell their students to be very careful when dealing with 3rd party ordeals. but if it was an extreme crime that was unfolding before me, id have to intervene, but its the degee of the crime and the actions of the criminal that would determine weather or not i shoot.

some states do actually protect you from being sued by family members and others from doing so, but its a hard issue non the less. id def. play it by ear and see how the situation unfolds before i decide to shoot or not.
    "You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."

3. I did not get my CWP to be an undercover cop. I got it to protect myself, my family, and my friends. I spent fourteen years serving this country and was willing to stand in the gap for others. But now in our litigious country it is not worth the risk to my family's livelihood to put it on the line for complete strangers. I know this sounds harsh but it is the sad state of our society.

4. Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
    I did not get my CWP to be an undercover cop. I got it to protect myself, my family, and my friends. I spent fourteen years serving this country and was willing to stand in the gap for others. But now in our litigious country it is not worth the risk to my family's livelihood to put it on the line for complete strangers. I know this sounds harsh but it is the sad state of our society.
    Hard... Cold... BUT TRUE!

Hey Y'all: I understand the last few replies but I cannot believe that if you actually see someone being raped or on the verge of being murdered, you would not do something. The "alter ego" rule, at least in SC, still relies on the fact that if you see that other person in some sort of difficulty, it still has to meet the criteria of "presumption of reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury"---this is not a statement to take lightly as part of alter ego or even yourself. We are not talking about a guy pushing around someone or even slapping someone. or even hitting someone--we are talking about being on the cusp of possible death or near-death--I cannot believe that repliers would just completely walk away. I can see repliers calling 911 and being unsure of their ability to do something but I would be sorely disappointed to know that some repliers could just say to themselves "well ok, let me get a milkshake and be on my way", and just leave. You'd pickup a wounded puppy dog but you wouldn't even think twice about a person?

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Y'all: I understand the last few replies but I cannot believe that if you actually see someone being raped or on the verge of being murdered, you would not do something. The "alter ego" rule, at least in SC, still relies on the fact that if you see that other person in some sort of difficulty, it still has to meet the criteria of "presumption of reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury"---this is not a statement to take lightly as part of alter ego or even yourself. We are not talking about a guy pushing around someone or even slapping someone. or even hitting someone--we are talking about being on the cusp of possible death or near-death--I cannot believe that repliers would just completely walk away. I can see repliers calling 911 and being unsure of their ability to do something but I would be sorely disappointed to know that some repliers could just say to themselves "well ok, let me get a milkshake and be on my way", and just leave. You'd pickup a wounded puppy dog but you wouldn't even think twice about a person?
    i agree. that is pretty sad. for those that wouldnt do anything but protect their family and themselves, wouldnt they want someone to intervene if it was infact a member of their family being victimized? i know i would.
    "You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."

Self Defense

I would not interfere with someone else. I am not a Police Officer. That is there job and if you do not believe that, ask one. Self defense in this state does not really make mention of coming to someone elses defense other than your own family using deadly force. It needs to be addressed in many states. I would stand there and call 911 and get a good discription. In Michigan you do not dare shoot a theif even if he has a weapon in his hand.
    Rich
    Beware of your surroundings

As I have said before I am glad I live in Texas where the law is a lot more favorable to the victim than the criminal. Even before I was a Christian I do not think I would have stood by and watched an innocent person being murdered. After becoming a Christian I know for sure I can't.

John 3:16 (King James Version)

16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

1 John 3:16 (King James Version)

16Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

God so loved me that he sent his Son to die for me. He wants me to love the brethren in the same way. Yes God does say we are our brothers keepers.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I would like to beleve that most of us would not stand by and let some young girl at the register get stabbed or shot if we were carrying and had a chance to prevent it, in some way if that ment getting the BGs attention, or putting a rd into him, so be it, he made that choice when he walked in and held up the place, fortunatly 99.8 of us will never have to find out what we would do, the decision to shoot at the right time, not only can but will change your life, I hope I never have to make that decision, personaly given the situation I described, if I was able to get the drop on him I would get his attention and he would never stick a knife or gun at anybody ever again

I've heard of college students playing some sort of game where they "assasinate" each other in public at random times using some sort of toy gun - not sure if it's airsoft or what. But what if you happened upon one of these role-playing things and made a split-second judgement to shoot the "BG"?
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    I've heard of college students playing some sort of game where they "assasinate" each other in public at random times using some sort of toy gun - not sure if it's airsoft or what. But what if you happened upon one of these role-playing things and made a split-second judgement to shoot the "BG"?
    You make a point, but I have airsoft guns and I agree thet do LOOK real I have not seen one yet that I could not tell at any resonable distance, also there is always exceptions, thats also why I said its good that 99% of us will never have to find out what we would do, as to the senario you spoke of, we have all read about LEOs shooting some kid cause the kid pointed a toy gun, or a TV remote at him and the cop shot the kid, now before you start in again yes that was a cop and your just you, I don't have any answer to that, other than I hope its not YOUR daughter the BG stuck with a knife or shot trying to rob her, and a dude with a CCW ran out the door, and you get a call to come and identify your daughter

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast