If an LEO asks why you carry... - Page 12
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: If an LEO asks why you carry...

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    There was a court case about that too. I don't have the link, so you'll have to take my word. Basically, it said that the police DON'T have the responsibility to protect you. So that " To Protect and Serve " motto painted on their cars is really not correct.
    Yes, I have read that in one of the issues of American Handgunner. Within the last year anyway, I don't remember which month though.

Hey y'all and Gov5:
    1.It is obvious that the police cannot be at your doorstep every minute of every day. They do not protect you in the sense of personal defense, they can only investigate after the fact-I think this fact has come out a million times on this forum.
    2. "IF" is the biggest little word in the dictionary. I have serious doubts that an LEO is going to ask you the question "why do you carry" and if he should, I cannot believe he is doing it for any other reason than to initiate innocent conversation. Once again, as in many forum comments, respect and measured answers should be your guide. Smartass does not help you one bit other than sounding good on this forum.

4. Because my solemn oath to support and defend this country didn't expire when I came off active duty.
    Executive Director, Florida Carry, Inc.

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by StogieC View Post
    Because my solemn oath to support and defend this country didn't expire when I came off active duty.
    Great answer!

6. Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey y'all and Gov5:
    1.It is obvious that the police cannot be at your doorstep every minute of every day. They do not protect you in the sense of personal defense, they can only investigate after the fact-I think this fact has come out a million times on this forum.
    2. "IF" is the biggest little word in the dictionary. I have serious doubts that an LEO is going to ask you the question "why do you carry" and if he should, I cannot believe he is doing it for any other reason than to initiate innocent conversation. Once again, as in many forum comments, respect and measured answers should be your guide. Smartass does not help you one bit other than sounding good on this forum.
    I hope I didn't post something that sounded like I would be a smartass to a LEO. I don't have that mindset at all! I like and respect cops and what they do. I don't think they are all perfect either. But in the main, they perform wonderfully.

But I can assure you, I'm not trying to post anything that sounds good on a forum. I try to post actual information,as best as I can. What did I post that may have given you that impression? I want to correct it neighbor.

BTW, I went up to the gun range at ATP and shot some about a week ago. Nice folks up there.

Not safe

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    I'd ask him/her why they carry? After all the donut shop's safe, right?
    Do you remember the the 4 Police Officers shot dead in the Donut shot quite recently? Washington State?

They were sat on their Lap Tops prior to going on shift.

8. Quote Originally Posted by StogieC View Post
    Because my solemn oath to support and defend this country didn't expire when I came off active duty.
    That's the best answer I've heard from a former military man.

Hey Y'all: We are on page 12 of this thread and I cannot for the life of me understand how this thread stays alive and well all this time. I cannot believe that an LEO, with all that he has to worry about and take care of during his shift and particularly at a traffic stop or some other interraction with someone on this forum, would even think it is necessary or even find a reason to know why YOU carry a firearm.

And yet, some do.

Either there are certain jurisdictions which obtain their officers from academies and training programs that are lacking in education regarding civil liberties, or certain jurisdictions institute quasi-secret policies of harassment and/or information gathering regarding private possession of firearms, or certain jurisdictions, despite proper training and standing policies, just happen to employ ********. Regardless of the reason, at any time, during any interaction with any law enforcement officer, a person either OCing or CCing may be confronted with this question, as idiotic as it is, it's a possibility everywhere there's not a statute forbidding is and some places there is.

Whether a Boy Scout, or a Coast Guardsman, or just an everyday person... Be Prepared. Semper Paratus.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

I live in a shall issue state, and there is no requirement for a reason or excuse to carry my firearm. If asked, I would relate that as politely as possible.
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -- Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast