If an LEO asks why you carry... - Page 13
Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: If an LEO asks why you carry...

Hey Smokewagon: I know that I have responded to this thread awhile ago but since you have added another reply I just felt like reiterating what I said before---if I were an LEO, I cannot, for the life of me, think of a reason why I would be asking someone I am dealing with as an LEO "why they carry a firearm". In a friendly setting of some kind--maybe--but lets say at a traffic stop why would such a question even come up?--even if the stop required you showing your CCWP (like in SC). Just makes no sense. Also believe, unless state law requires, there is no reason for an LEO to ask to see your CCW and no reason for you to show it. Again--it makes no sense. I can, however, see an LEO asking, as part of a friendly conversation during some kind of interraction, "what kind of fiream are you carrying?" and maybe if he is just curious and friendly "do you mind showing it to me"-- where, I would think a preferred answer would be "I would rather not present the firearm--it is meant as a CCW and not as a conversation piece"--this leaves out any "trickery" in that you "brandished" your loaded firearm. Just sayin.

my response would be simple "Officer, are you detaining me or am I free to go?".

Hey treo: No doubt your response is short and to the point and is perfectly OK in my book, HOWEVER, IMO and my way of thinking----I have been stopped for some reason real (as far as the LEO is concerned) or imaginary (as far as I am concerned in some circumstancs) by an LEO. He is in charge and I will follow his instructions, wait for him to tell me he has finished his business with me, thank him, and be on my way. That's me and I'm just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I have been stopped ... by an LEO. He is in charge and I will follow his instructions, wait for him to tell me he has finished his business with me, thank him, and be on my way. That's me and I'm just sayin.
    And that's a very good way to be, as opposed to the short-fused, smart-arsed confrontational attitude - especially when it involves the subject of deadly force.

Just to toss in my several small cents. I was asked by a local deputy why I carried and I expalined it to him it was a matter of ten minutes. The average daytime response by deputies in this area is 10 minutes. That is a very long time when someone is trying to hurt you.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey treo: No doubt your response is short and to the point and is perfectly OK in my book, HOWEVER, IMO and my way of thinking----I have been stopped for some reason real (as far as the LEO is concerned) or imaginary (as far as I am concerned in some circumstancs) by an LEO. He is in charge and I will follow his instructions, wait for him to tell me he has finished his business with me, thank him, and be on my way. That's me and I'm just sayin.
    Actually the cop isnít completely in charge, he canít detain you unless he has reasonable suspicion based on clearly articuable facts that you have or are about to commit a crime. The easiest way to find out if he has such a suspicion is to ask him if heís detaining you. If heís not detaining you then (IMO) your safest course of action is to leave. Think of it as a flow chart

Officer, are you detaining me (if yes see response A) or am I free to go (if yes see response B)

A) I do not wish to make any statement or answer any questions W/ out my attorney present.

B) Thank you for your time officer. Have a nice day.
    (Spoken over your shoulder as you leave the area)

If the Officer is detaining you then he suspects you of a crime and heís hoping to talk you out of enough information for him to arrest you. (IM0) the worst thing you could do at that point is continue to talk.

8. Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    HEY, KELCARRY,

I can't understand why someone who has been stopped by LEOs would want to be snippy with them. Are you just asking for a ticket or two? LOL!!

No matter how bad it aggravates you, the LEO is IN CHARGE. If someone has a problem with AUTHORITY, they better get over it. Even if that officer only had enough sense to barely graduate high school, you better not give him/her that Holier than thou" attitude, or you are inviting a LOT more trouble than you want. The have the power to detain you, and throw you in the pokey if they want...for not cooperating with an officer, interfering with an investigation,and a whole host of other charges they can think up.

Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    HEY, KELCARRY,

I can't understand why someone who has been stopped by LEOs would want to be snippy with them. Are you just asking for a ticket or two? LOL!!

No matter how bad it aggravates you, the LEO is IN CHARGE. If someone has a problem with AUTHORITY, they better get over it. Even if that officer only had enough sense to barely graduate high school, you better not give him/her that Holier than thou" attitude, or you are inviting a LOT more trouble than you want. The have the power to detain you, and throw you in the pokey if they want...for not cooperating with an officer, interfering with an investigation,and a whole host of other charges they can think up.
    First I'm going to suggest that you go to youtube and watch "Busted A Citizens Guide To Surviving An Encounter With The Law"

I'm also going to suggest "Don't talk to the poilce" part 1 &2 by Proffessor James Duane

Then I'm going to suggest that you purchase a copy of "You And The Police" by Kenneth W. Royce writing as " Boston T. Party" and read it.

If youíre just walking down the street and a cop stops you, you should immediately ascertain weather or not youíre free to leave. The easiest way to do this is simply ask the cop ďOfficer am I free to go?Ē If he says you are do it.

Cops donít just stop random people on the street to make conversation, if he stopped you thereís a reason and the worst thing you can do is engage him in conversation because the longer you talk the more likely you are to say something he can use against you. So, it goes like this

Cop: excuse me Buck can I ask you a couple of questions?
    Buck: Sorry Officer I really donít have time right now. Am I free to go?
    Cop: Itís really just a couple of quick questions, I would really help me out if you cooperate.
    Buck: Officer, as I stated I do not have time to speak with you. Am I free to go?
    Cop: Yes you can leave, but it would really help meÖ
    Buck: Thank you Officer good day.

If a cop ever tells you youíre not free to go that means he has a reasonable articulable suspicion that you have, in fact, committed a crime and is looking for probable cause to arrest you. (If he had PC youíd all ready be in handcuffs)
    This is absolutely the time to calmly and firmly assert your rights and shut up!

Cop: No buck you are not free to go Iím detaining you becauseÖ.
    Buck: Officer I donít wish to answer any questions or make any statement w/out my lawyer present.
    Cop: Buck right now is the time for you to be cooperating with me, itíll go much easier for you if you do.
    Buck: Officer I donít wish to answer any questions or make any statement w/out my lawyer present.
    Cop: Yada Yada Yada

10. I've seen that video, Pt 1&2 by the Prof. Funny in class. Try it on the street and see where it gets you.

I'm not as afraid of police as you. I am CAREFUL around them, and I think I'm smart enough to know when a question is a question about involvement, and when it is asked for help in a situation. I have also had training in interrogation techniques, so it doesn't bother me like it bothers you.

The police can claim you look like a suspect and detain you. If you want to persist with that "Am I being detained" crap, you're going to get what you asked for... a trip to the pokey. And then you can get your attorney to come down and meet with you and the cops, and "be present" while you are questioned.

I'd rather just politely answer the questions and be on my way. Jail holding cells are so germ-ridden. LOL!!

Hey treo: I do not know where you live or what kind of experiences you have had with LEOs but as much as I understand everything you have said, there is a presumption in your comments that these LEOs you are referring to are some kind of armed monsters who just cannot wait to detain me, search me, handcuff me and send me to jail. I have NEVER met an LEO who has ever exhibited the kind of behaviour that requires my very "constitutional" response as opposed to very respectful (and by that I mean responses to his questions that do not bring my "rights" into the conversation) answers to his questions without offerring more information than is required (I agree the less said the better). Yes we all have our "rights" and you are correct in your comments but the LEO is dealing with uncertainties everytime he stops someone for possible infractions and these stops can be dangerous--if I can do anything to alleviate his concern, I will do it and, IMO, that does not mean being respectful with a full blown case of "constitutional response". You do what you gotta do and GOV 5 and I gotta do what we gotta do. Just sayin and I DO appreciate where you are coming from and your opinion--just differ a bit. Peace brother. I guess as long as we all obey the law we probably have nothing to worry about regardless of how we feel on this issue. PS: In 68 years I have been stopped by LEOs (all traffic) 3 times and 2 tickets.

Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast