If an LEO asks why you carry... - Page 15
Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: If an LEO asks why you carry...

Why do I carry ? (if ask by a LEO)

If asked this question by a LEO then it's obvious he or she has a chip on their shoulder with regard to law abiding citizens carrying firearms. "I joined the PD because I wanted to own the street and carry a gun, not you" is the unspoken but true reality to that question of "why do you carry a gun" when asked by a LEO. It's and elitist attitude that is not well deserved, in my opinion.

I'v had two LEO"s ask me "Why do you think you need high capacity mags?" my response "Well, short stick, for the same damn reason that you do, that good enough for ya ?" (this was in a semi casual setting, not a stop or other reason)

Fact be known, most on this board have more range time, experience and training than the average beat cop, patrol officer etc. I'd put my skill set's up agains't any LEO on this board. Yes, I just said that.

What's a police sniper ? Someone who can shoot a bolt rifle 35 meters. I've alway's said "any bolt gun from Wal Mart will serve the SWAT/SRT teams just fine"
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

I have to agree W/ ropadope, that question, to me, is an effort to put you on the defensive, to make you justify yourself for exercising your Constitutional freedoms. It isn’t (IMO) asked out of a genuine curiosity but as a means to intimidate the person being asked. In Colorado it also borders on being a violation of the state constitution

The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons. Art. II, § 13 (enacted 1876, art. II, § 13).
    As, stated earlier, I would never answer such a hostile question

Cool

Just in case I need it.........

I have had only one LEO ask why I was carrying a firearm. I ignored the question and asked what the problem was, they do not have the right to ask it, and to be up front, it is none of their business in states that OC or CC is legal.

I was not detained nor did I provide ID. I was a non issue.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Maybe we need to start teaching the constitution to kids in schools again, don't know when they stopped (bush era maybe), but in twenty years I've not seen a single episode of COPS where the 'suspect' doesn't immediately agree to waiver all rights. It's too bad the law only protects those of us who know it.
    I agree, unfortunately the failure of most people to understand their constitutional rights goes much further than the rights guaranteed under the 2nd.
    I believe that it is a concentrated effort by the government and in particular the Dept. of Education to stop teaching the constitution, to stop teaching that the constitution is a document that LIMITS to power of government. Right now we are indoctrinating that the constitution is a living document subject to change at the will of government, to protect us. The ultra left has taken over the education of our children, they are being taught that the government is responsible to take care of them, that others are responsible to pay for it, and all we have to do to live in the one world workers paradise is to surrender all rights to a benevolent government.
    If I had my way, we would go through the Dept. Of Education with a chainsaw.

Ok, you can take off the tinfoil hats now.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Maybe we need to start teaching the constitution to kids in schools again, don't know when they stopped (bush era maybe), but in twenty years I've not seen a single episode of COPS where the 'suspect' doesn't immediately agree to waiver all rights. It's too bad the law only protects those of us who know it.

I've seen one guy that did it sucsessfully the cops even said that had he not shut up they would have been able to charge him.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Actually, I got into a conversation with a friend at the gym who's an LEO. He encourages me to carry. As he put it "you can be a sheep or a wolf." Most LEOs I know also encourage it.

I've been pulled over with it and never had a problem. One thing I do though is if I think I'm about to be pulled over I put the weapon in the console (I keep my registration in the glove box). Prevents an issue.

Why would a LEO ask you that? I suspect I'd give him the same answer I gave one town cop. I was scuba diving where my buddy and I knew there was lost silver and gold in some rapids. I came up contemplating changing tanks and a cop yelled down to me from the bridge above. "Come up here I want to see your license." I told him I wasn't driving what did he want my license for? and he said "Your lobster license." So I said that I wasn't diving for lobster, and he said "What are you diving for then?" I told him it was none of his business, and went back down on the air I had left. When I did come back up there was a parking ticket on my car, but I took it right to the selectman in my wet clothes told him the story, and he tore it up.

Cops will take advantage of every opportunity you give them to exceed their authority. Don't let them.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    Actually, I got into a conversation with a friend at the gym who's an LEO. He encourages me to carry. As he put it "you can be a sheep or a wolf." Most LEOs I know also encourage it.

I've been pulled over with it and never had a problem. One thing I do though is if I think I'm about to be pulled over I put the weapon in the console (I keep my registration in the glove box). Prevents an issue.
    I keep a copy of my vehicle registration on the visor. But never touch the Glock. Only time we have been asked about carrying is when working (Security) of course I have only had one ticket in 7 years! So not had a lot of experience in being stopped.

I think my answer would be, if asked, it can be dangerous on these mean streets. Can not think why that question would be asked though, at 74 I think it is a good idea to carry, so I do.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
    I keep a copy of my vehicle registration on the visor. But never touch the Glock. Only time we have been asked about carrying is when working (Security) of course I have only had one ticket in 7 years! So not had a lot of experience in being stopped.

I think my answer would be, if asked, it can be dangerous on these mean streets. Can not think why that question would be asked though, at 74 I think it is a good idea to carry, so I do.
    You know, all here that want to put a "the cop has an attitude" spin on this amaze me. have you ever used your head for more than a hat rest? Maybe the cop just likes to know folks are carrying, and has an interest in finding out what made that person get a carry permit. He may have a relative, like a sister, that he is trying to convince to get a permit, and he is accumulating a bunch of different answers( reasons) to give to her, so that it may convince her to go get HER permit.

Usually, when someone asks me a question that I think is out of the ordinary, I just ask why they ask that question. I don't just start regurgitating smart-ass little snip-its I've memorized. Try that sometime. You may get an interesting answer!

Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast