If an LEO asks why you carry... - Page 18
Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 328

Thread: If an LEO asks why you carry...

  1. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by Corby View Post
    As a retired LEO from the largest Department in the country I can give you a guess on the number of bad cops on any department. Just like the rest of the population 10% are saints who would never even consider doing anything wrong and they are balanced out by the 10% sinners who will take every advantage and the rest are just trying to do the job and get thru to the place I am at.


    I'm curious about where you got those statistics from.


    Are those numbers across the board?
    Or is there a "Pleasantville" someplace on the map which balances the scales for my town with their 99% saints?

    I know where this thread is going, and had this conversation with some others about a year ago here. I got tired of posting current daily examples in the news which confirmed my beliefs.

    I would GUESS the "Largest Dept in the country" would be LA, but that's just a guess. But people come visit me from other states and sometimes ask "What's going on here, there's cops all over the place." They've never seen a union like they have here where flag men went the way of the doe doe bird. We have to pay detail cops $55 an hour to sleep in their cruisers all night on top of their job during the day, and when they get caught shop lifting, they say they don't make enough money, they HAD to steal, and get off. Then they retire with over $80K pension and bankrupt the state. I wonder how much we could have saved on the $16 BILLION Big Dig project if the state cops didn't have their little air conditioned club house where they hung out instead of being actually on the details?

    But I guess people like Cocked throwing around their own "statistics" like 90% and 5% know better what goes on here than I do. I mean hell, I only lived here over half a century.


    I think Arlo Guthrie said it best in his song introduction:

    Well, wait a minute. It's hard to be an FBI man. I mean, first
    of all, being an FBI man, you have to be over 40 years old.
    And the reason is that it takes at least 25 years with the
    organization to be that much of a bastard. It's true. You just
    can't join, you know. It needs an atmosphere where your
    natural bastardness can grow and develop and take a
    meaningful shape in today's complex society.


    [BAnd that's why tonight I'd like to dedicate it to every FBI
    man in the audience. I know you can't say nothin', you know,
    you can't get up and say "Hi!" cause then everybody knows
    that you're an FBI man and that's a drag for you and your
    friends.

    They're not really your friends, are they? ][/B]

    ARLO GUTHRIE - THE PAUSE OF MR. CLAUS LYRICS
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

  2.   
  3. #172
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The High Country
    Posts
    1,029
    Quote Originally Posted by OldOwl View Post
    I'm curious about where you got those statistics from.
    And I'm curious where you got yours. Dreamed up from an Arlo Guthrie song, or the same place your signanture came out of? It's all eitherl black or white, huh? That would be known as generalization in the extreme in this context.

    At least it's easy to make up your mind with that type thinking. Keeps it simple, I suppose.

  4. #173
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    And I'm curious where you got yours. Dreamed up from an Arlo Guthrie song, or the same place your signanture came out of? It's all eitherl black or white, huh? That would be known as generalization in the extreme in this context.

    At least it's easy to make up your mind with that type thinking. Keeps it simple, I suppose.
    I didn't post any "statistics." You did.

    It's amazing how I can get lectured about posting a web page without checking out every single tidbit of information on SNOPES first, ( not that THEy are right all the time) yet others freely snatch numbers out of the sky 10% this 90% that, and expect it to be taken for gospel and then get offended when I question the accuracy.

    Gimme a break.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

  5. #174
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The High Country
    Posts
    1,029
    Quote Originally Posted by OldOwl View Post
    I didn't post any "statistics." You did.
    It is not unreasonable to make an educated guess based on personal experience about an approximate number of people being in a general category of a large organisation.

    It IS unreasonable to assume the cops are always wrong.

  6. #175
    Not if in a particular demographic history dictates it to be true. And I've never used the word "Always."

    Your logic is similar to that of anti profiling organizations for Muslims. Though they have been the vast majority of people involved in foreign terrorist acts here, they are not exclusive. But we don't DARE cast a shadow of doubt upon them do we? No. Lets search children, blond hair blue eyed women and old men in wheel chairs at the airport.

    If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

    Like I said before, there may be places where all the cops go to church on Sunday and are married to Stepford wives. But around here, the record speaks for itself. People don't trust cops. And I don't just sit back spewing hatred. I spend my own time and money trying to recruit cops into Oath Keepers. As president Lincoln said, "I destroyed my enemy when I made him my friend."

    In the long term, I'd rather work at educating and enlisting them so some day I won't be forced into trying to out gun them. I want them on our side, but have no reason to trust them to do the right thing. Again, history proves my point over and over. Yet I keep working at it as a founding member of Oath Keepers.

    What have you done lately?
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

  7. #176
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eastern North Carolina
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by OldOwl View Post

    I think Arlo Guthrie said it best in his song introduction:

    Hmm...I would never have expected Arlo Guthrie to be quoted in a pro-gun forum.

  8. #177
    Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmm? LOLS!! Anyway back to the subject at hand...I would never ask a law abiding citizen why he or she carries a firearm. Of coarse the situation would dictate what might be asked and if the Maranda rights need to be envoked or not. A routine traffic stop and the driver / passenger states that they have a concealed firearm can be handled without any hard feelings and or "Bad Things" happening. A quick check can tell us if the person is legally carring or not. Im a great supporter of the Second Amendment that protects the right to keep and bear arms. As stated before ...There are good and bad folks in all walks of life.
    Action Is Always Faster Than Reaction!!!

  9. #178
    Quote Originally Posted by OldOwl View Post
    I'm curious about where you got those statistics from.


    Are those numbers across the board?
    Or is there a "Pleasantville" someplace on the map which balances the scales for my town with their 99% saints?

    I know where this thread is going, and had this conversation with some others about a year ago here. I got tired of posting current daily examples in the news which confirmed my beliefs.

    I would GUESS the "Largest Dept in the country" would be LA, but that's just a guess. But people come visit me from other states and sometimes ask "What's going on here, there's cops all over the place." They've never seen a union like they have here where flag men went the way of the doe doe bird. We have to pay detail cops $55 an hour to sleep in their cruisers all night on top of their job during the day, and when they get caught shop lifting, they say they don't make enough money, they HAD to steal, and get off. Then they retire with over $80K pension and bankrupt the state. I wonder how much we could have saved on the $16 BILLION Big Dig project if the state cops didn't have their little air conditioned club house where they hung out instead of being actually on the details?

    But I guess people like Cocked throwing around their own "statistics" like 90% and 5% know better what goes on here than I do. I mean hell, I only lived here over half a century.


    I think Arlo Guthrie said it best in his song introduction:

    Well, wait a minute. It's hard to be an FBI man. I mean, first
    of all, being an FBI man, you have to be over 40 years old.
    And the reason is that it takes at least 25 years with the
    organization to be that much of a bastard. It's true. You just
    can't join, you know. It needs an atmosphere where your
    natural bastardness can grow and develop and take a
    meaningful shape in today's complex society.


    [BAnd that's why tonight I'd like to dedicate it to every FBI
    man in the audience. I know you can't say nothin', you know,
    you can't get up and say "Hi!" cause then everybody knows
    that you're an FBI man and that's a drag for you and your
    friends.

    They're not really your friends, are they? ][/B]

    ARLO GUTHRIE - THE PAUSE OF MR. CLAUS LYRICS
    I live in Orlando, I like the Policing done by the Sheriffs office (Orange County Sheriffs Office) and Orlando Police Dept. Just returned from Sacramento (Two weeks Youngest was married) I would not live there under any circumstances, never saw a copper out of a Cruiser! Drug deals going down in Parking lots, me with my walking stick! Glock 19 at home, you are not keen on your State? Try California.

  10. #179
    I was in Orlando for a week last winter. Gunless. I was only nervous when I had the wife and kid with me. Standing outside a convenient store smokin a stogie while they went inside and three cops on bicycles stopped, said hello, how ya doing? Probably just seeing if I was sober, or acted nervous or whatever. I was pretty impressed with them.

    Here, I would have been interrogated and already presumed to have been guilty of SOMETHING. I used to live in Daytona, and the cops there were a whole lot nicer too. Maybe the southern hospitality? When I travel the country I find people in general are nicer most other places. So maybe the cops here just get sick of it. But if they're going to paint me with their broad brush, they have to expect the same in return.

    Woodie and Arlo Guthrie are national icons. They paint pictures with words and music preserving American history and culture, not unlike Norman Rockwell did with paint. Remember the famous ice cream parlor with the MA state cop and the little boy? So when he says cops are bastards, and they don't really have "friends", you gotta wonder where that comes from.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

  11. #180
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carlin, NV
    Posts
    209
    Blog Entries
    2
    The simplest answer for me is that my wife's ex husband threatened her life. Being a prior marine who open carries himself, I decided obtaining guns and getting permits would be for the best. That way no matter what happens we will be prepaired to respond to this schmuck. Second, being LDS means the family proclamaion to the world IS doctorine. It specifies that as a man, I provide for and PROTECT my family. So, I have both Church doctorine as well as a viable threat to answer anyone questioning me.

    My way is not better, it is just mine, your way is not better, it is just yours.
    Carry what your comfortable with, there is no "Supergun" Carry how your comfortable, open or concealed, so you have it with you when you need it

Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Open Carry Argument
    By Mainsail in forum Open Carry Discussion
    Replies: 611
    Last Post: 05-23-2017, 04:42 PM
  2. 10 Commandments of Concealed Carry
    By HK4U in forum Concealed Carry Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 09:51 AM
  3. Why I Carry a Gun
    By HK4U in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-02-2010, 06:41 AM
  4. Why I Carry A Gun, and You Should Too
    By Tea For One in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-02-2010, 03:06 PM
  5. H 3003 In House Judiciary Committee
    By Red Hat in forum South Carolina Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 03:43 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast