If an LEO asks why you carry... - Page 22
Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: If an LEO asks why you carry...

This thread just never ends. As said on the Sopranos--"just when I thought I was thru, they dragged me right back in". How do we go from an LEO asking to drug culture? Since this thread has moved off of center and taken a turn to I do not know where----PS: Hey Islander: Sure got interesting and tight in the SC elections--I thought Al Greene put up a magnificent fight and almost won (ha ha)--absolutely amazing and another blue ribbon for SC politics--the luv gov and bobble dolls and 30-40k voters who haven't a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    You obviously have no real firsthand knowledge of drug culture. I grew up in the 60s and 70s...in California, where children had their own pot plants and drugs were as common as hamburgers.

Education is why I don't do drugs, not the fear of jackbooted thugs pounding my door down in the middle of the night. Opportunity may be why some of my employees don't use drugs, because they want to keep their good jobs and we test randomly and regularly. Neither of us would hesitate to smoke a joint out of fear of the totally ineffective war on drugs enforcers. It's a complete failure, and stepping up penalties will only further the violence, because the value to the gangster/pusher will go up every time. I have the highest respect for law enforcement, but this is a battle being fought with the wrong tools. Tools of violence will not work. They have drugs in IRAN and CHINA, where you are executed if caught. This war on drugs does MUCH more harm than good. Education is the key to helping the most people, and while helping the most people, reducing infringement on personal rights and freedoms.

Regarding your statement about drowning users, how about "People who speed, drown them." Sounds silly doesn't it? It IS silly...even asinine. But speeding is illegal, and more importantly kills OTHER people FAR more often than "people who snort coke".

Maybe you are just trolling, or maybe you believe what you are saying. My response will hopefully encourage more thought, because what you say is neither a solution nor defensible in any way.

FEW THINGS FAIL SO REGULARLY AS THE "WAR ON DRUGS".

You are quite right, I am 72 years of age, grew up in Liverpool England.

And know nothing of the drug culture, how ever it is going to be solved, if ever, I dont know.

Regular drug testing? You are keeping your little kingdom free of drugs, that is very commendable, maybe your approach is the right one, as you say you were brought up in the US of A, and know more about it.

All I see is the off shoot, the crime.

A troll? No just a dedicated Granddad, with 5 Grandchildren. And a retired Canadian Firearms Instructor, with no insider knowledge of drugs. I dont even take aspirin! Do take vitamins.

If I have shown an ignorance of the right way to deal with this problem? It is because I freely admit, I know nothing, first hand in any way.

Back to "If you are asked" We were out last night with a senior law enforcement officer, we both carried!

He knew why I carried, why would he ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    FEW THINGS FAIL SO REGULARLY AS THE "WAR ON DRUGS".
    Actually it has "suceeded" in gutting the forth and fifth amendment protections. RICO isn't just the name of the main charater on Miami Vice.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
    Regular drug testing? You are keeping your little kingdom free of drugs, that is very commendable, maybe your approach is the right one, as you say you were brought up in the US of A, and know more about it.
    Drug free is a requriement for our insurance. Our guys have a choice, and it has nothing to do with the law. This is a good example of an effective method of drug use reduction. Our men put their great paying jobs before recreational drug use. Along with extremely hard work, being drug free is a requirement to play on this team.

Last hijack on this thread.

If a LEO asks why I carry, I'd respond with" "Why not?" As opposed to my first response, in the obviously (to me) humorous vein, which some people obviously don't find very funny...

But seriously, in the unlikely event that question were ever posed to me by a LEO, I'd suppose they were sizing me up for a judgemental determination on my general attitude. All other things being equal, assuming there is no extenuating circumstance like me being under some sort of suspiscion, it's just a friendly conversation, right?

Sometimes the Socratic method can work wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by fullofdays View Post
    .... What is your response? Do you become specific or general in your defense for concealed carry? Do you state the second amendment verbatim?

What about a family member who is liberal and against firearms? Do you answer a family member in a different manner than a random person such as LEO?? I understand that decision is based on personal conviction, but how do you respond?

I might start by stating my knowledge and understanding of Warren vs. District of Columbia for a start. That right there opens lots of eyes.

Secondly, it IS my right and perhaps further stating that... "I'm not looking for trouble...I just want to be left alone."

Now for a family member who might be a liberal and total anti-gun? First off, I'd inform them in no uncertain terms that "if you don't like guns....don't own one which is your right, but don't try to infringe your will of that on me and mind your own business!"
    An ARMED individual is a CITIZEN! ...An UNARMED individual is a SUBJECT!

If an LEO asks why you carry..... show him this story.....

4-Year-Old Dakota Lane Killed in Home Invasion Was Stabbed 36 Times
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

9. Any LEO knows better than anyone why people carry. If you get pulled over and inform him of your carry - and he asks this question - you'd better not give an answer that hints of an attitude in any way. A question like that coming from a LEO to a civvy during contact in the line of duty is very likely an attempt to gauge your demeanor, or even worse, make a threat assessment because something you have already said or done has made him nervous or suspicious.

I dont know what id say exactly if pressed for an answer in a pullover situation but I would for sure make sure the answer had no hint of attitude or defensiveness about being asked.

"A soft answer turneth away wrath"

Quote Originally Posted by fullofdays View Post
    .... What is your response? Do you become specific or general in your defense for concealed carry? Do you state the second amendment verbatim?

What about a family member who is liberal and against firearms? Do you answer a family member in a different manner than a random person such as LEO?? I understand that decision is based on personal conviction, but how do you respond?

Don't speak to police. It can only hurt you

V th Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    This thread just never ends.
    We've been working hard to keep it going.

Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast