If an LEO asks why you carry... - Page 23
Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: If an LEO asks why you carry...

Quote Originally Posted by fullofdays View Post
    all good responses. I'm catching a lot of flack for having a CWP and exercising my right to carry...

I made the mistake of asking some fellow members of my car club a holster question and got trolled upon for why I live in an area so dangerous that I need to carry, et al....

I told em it doesnt matter how nice the neighborhood, et al. and got into it with a few antis.
    You can also remind them that scumbags target "nice areas" for their home invasions and break-ins.

"Carry" on.

Have them go and read the Bill of Rights. Maybe they missed it in civics class.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman1911 View Post
    You can also remind them that scumbags target "nice areas" for their home invasions and break-ins.

"Carry" on.

Best talking point there is and it CANNOT be refuted!
    An ARMED individual is a CITIZEN! ...An UNARMED individual is a SUBJECT!

Quote Originally Posted by Swinokur View Post
    Have them go and read the Bill of Rights. Maybe they missed it in civics class.

How could they possibly have attended civics class when they consistently flunked lunch and recess?
    An ARMED individual is a CITIZEN! ...An UNARMED individual is a SUBJECT!

I live in a nice area, our Jeep sits inside the garage, press button, door up, back in, door down, unload grocery's, if that was the purpose of the trip, and I feel really safe.

Still sitting with a Glock 19 in my dressing gown pocket! Paranoid? And your point is?

Quote Originally Posted by fullofdays View Post
    all good responses. I'm catching a lot of flack for having a CWP and exercising my right to carry...

I made the mistake of asking some fellow members of my car club a holster question and got trolled upon for why I live in an area so dangerous that I need to carry, et al....

I told em it doesnt matter how nice the neighborhood, et al. and got into it with a few antis.
    You are exactly right. I live in a rural area, a town of 11,000 that is the largest community within 80 miles or so. The town looks abandoned on Sunday mornings, Sunday nights, and Wed. nights because the majority of the town is in church. That still didn't keep a neighbor 3 houses and 200yds down the road from being stabbed and left for dead in a random home invasion by total strangers. Nor did it prevent five women (on separate occasions) from being pulled over and assaulted by a man in a Crown Victoria with blue lights back in 2004. It also didn't keep the visitor from Michigan from being robbed at gun point and his truck stolen at 8:30 a.m. in the Wal-mart parking lot a bit less than a year ago.

Bad things happen to good people on a random basis. It doesn't matter if you're in a "good" neighborhood or a "bad" neighborhood. Criminals are creatures of convenience. They look for victims who are unprepared and unaware and those are often easiest to find in the "good" parts of town.

There is always the familiar lesson of David and Goliath. That Biblical account shows graphically the equalizing effect of a missile weapon in helping the small, weak, elderly, and/or disabled to defend against a large and physically powerful aggressor. That's why I carry. I may be getting older and somewhat more brittle but I can still draw, fire, and put at least three shots into a six-inch circle while falling over backward and on my way to the ground with any gun I carry.

Quote Originally Posted by antietam View Post
    ... Few LEOs feel that the ordinary guy should carry - the concept threatens their livelihoods and egos. They've been indoctrinated to the modern, "professionals only" idea that citizens are dumb, inept and government-owned, "to be protected" - the same general mindset that fuels modern politicians. ... .
    I'll grant the possibility that the above statement may be true in some locales, possibly in the area where you live. But that's not the attitude that I've experienced in my contacts with law enforcement officers in the communities where I've lived.

Back in the early eighties, living in Quincy, IL, I used to regularly shoot in the summer PPC matches hosted by the local PD. Non-LEOs were allowed to shoot as long as they knew basic range commands and etiquette. The department's range officer used to give me handloading and shooting tips. When I moved to Saunders county Nebraska, the chief deputy and I used to exchange handloading recipes. To this day, my carry piece is loaded with the equivalent of his department's carry issue, a recipe he gave me.

During my most recent LEO encounter following a vehicle breakdown, as I sat in the local police officer's patrol car waiting for a two truck we passed the time discussing his and my personal favorite choices for concealed carry and home defense. When I mentioned that I'd helped my daughter obtain an out-of-state permit so that she could carry at age 19 he was very supportive. In fact, his comment was that he believed every woman should carry.

According to my current sheriff's chief deputy, somewhere between 7.5% and 8.5% of the residents of this county who are legally able to get a CCW already have one. That may have something to do with the acceptance by the local LEOs because the odds are that several members of their own extended families are carrying on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by OldOwl View Post
    I keep meaning to do this, and now I finally have the time to get it done. For those people, print up a batch of signs saying "This is a gun free zone" and hand them one. Tell them to staple it up on their front door.

See how committed to their cause they are then.
    You may be surprised to discover how many will actually do it.

When CCW was enacted in Missouri and permits began being issued in 2004, at last one local restaurant, a Taco Hut, hung a guns-buster sign on their door. I dropped by there a couple of months ago to drop off a no guns = no $$$ business card http://www.learntocarry.com/nogunsnomoney/ and saw that the sign has been removed. I don't know if it's because they finally realized that they were advertising themselves as a defense-free zone or if they realized they were losing business as the only "posted" restaurant in town but, either way, the sign is now gone.

I have been asked a few times by family,friends,employees and leos.My response,every time,is "You have locks on your doors,right? That car has door locks.Why do you need them.Do you plan on getting carjacked or falling out or having a criminal break in?
    I Love Nicki Minaj

I simply respond by........"why not" and I have also earned the right to. Too many sick, twisted, evil, drug addicted, mentally ill, and just plain bad people with bad intentions in this world.

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast