If an LEO asks why you carry... - Page 25
Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: If an LEO asks why you carry...

Quote Originally Posted by fullofdays View Post
    .... What is your response? Do you become specific or general in your defense for concealed carry? Do you state the second amendment verbatim?

What about a family member who is liberal and against firearms? Do you answer a family member in a different manner than a random person such as LEO?? I understand that decision is based on personal conviction, but how do you respond?

Never been asked by a cop, but I think I carry one for the same reason he does. Because he can and because harsh language doesnt deter bad guys.

Most of my family is pro gun so they arent much of an issue.

I've only been asked once by an LEO when we were sitting next to each other at Dunkin' Donuts (his coffee and a jelly donut were on the house BTW)...and gave a simple answer..."Because I'm legally licensed to do so in this state for personal protection if the need arises." There were no follow-ups.

OTOH, when giving essentially the same answer to quizzical denizens, they always want to debate the issue...apparently unable to accept on face value.

3X PM

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    OTOH, when giving essentially the same answer to quizzical denizens, they always want to debate the issue...apparently unable to accept on face value.
    You have to love the ones who love to debate everything.
    After a couple rounds I give them my favorite anagram....M.Y.O.D.B.

5. "If an LEO asks..."

You do NOT have to answer.

If you choose to answer, there's no need to even volunteer any specific information. But if you want to cite the universal truth that your protection is your responsibility, feel free to do so. There's plenty of case law, up to an including the SCOTUS that Police do NOT have a duty to protect you.

Or you can cite the founding fathers, that it is your right and your responsibility to be "at all times armed."

But you never have to answer a question.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Felix View Post
    "If an LEO asks..."

You do NOT have to answer.

<snip>

But you never have to answer a question.
    Yep, the kind of stuff that got that guy, Rich Banks, arrested over Dickson City, PA well over a year ago. Seven OCs and families sitting at a table eating and minding their own business. Asst manager calls the law about the OCs, cops show up in force and ask for IDs. Six comply and that was the end of the story for them. Banks knew technically the law didn't require production of an ID and decided to be obstinate about it. Consequently, he got to spend two hours with metal bracelets on in the back of a cold cop car.

Then he filed a civil suit; has spent thousands; cops, DA and even the judge (with unfavorable plaintiff rulings) are throwing up every roadblock possible, tiger team cop filed for bankruptcy so things are in an indefinite stay. Looking less and less likely Banks will ever prevail in this. All over producing an ID when requested.

You can be right by the letter of the law but you'd better have deep pockets if you want to make a stand.

3X PM

7. Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    You can be right by the letter of the law but you'd better have deep pockets if you want to make a stand.
    This is one of the saddest things about our "justice" system. It's been this way for a while and it shouldn't be.

Charleston, South Carolina, United States

Smile How I would respond

all good responses. I'm catching a lot of flack for having a CWP and exercising my right to carry...

I made the mistake of asking some fellow members of my car club a holster question and got trolled upon for why I live in an area so dangerous that I need to carry, et al....

I told em it doesnt matter how nice the neighborhood, et al. and got into it with a few antis.
    I think that carrying a concealed weapon is a personal choice. It is the same choice as any other. I have spent time in law enforcement and private security and I have seen the victims. I have decided that my family will not be a victim. Plain and simple. That does not mean that something can not happen but it does mean that when something happens that we will hopefully be prepared.

I have a friend of mine that proudly proclaims that he is a liberal tree hugging anti violence advocate. When he found out that I am carrying a concealed weapon he told me I am too paranoid. I told him I am not paranoid, I am prepared. I think that being a little paranoid goes hand in hand with being prepared but you don't have to be obsessed with it. My friend told me that he has never been in a situation where he needed a handgun and feels that he never will. He also said that handguns are only designed to hurt people and if the government would remove the citizenry of the right to have handguns then there would be a lot less violence. My only response to that was this. What about the criminal element that has no regard for the law and will carry guns and use them on the rest of the law abiding citizens that are now unarmed. It was almost as if that was a scenario that is not possible. Really?

I typically do not bring up the subject of concealed carry when I am out in public. I would prefer that people do not know that I am carrying a weapon. That way you don't have to get into long drawn out conversations about why I might be so paranoid. LOL

If asked (and I have been) I tell them "If you have to ask that question, you would not understand the answer".

.... What is your response? Do you become specific or general in your defense for concealed carry? Do you state the second amendment verbatim?

What about a family member who is liberal and against firearms? Do you answer a family member in a different manner than a random person such as LEO?? I understand that decision is based on personal conviction, but how do you respond?
    I just saw this thread and admittedly didn't read all 247 posts.

My answer to any LEO who asks such a stupid question would be: "Because I need to and I can."

Regarding family members who are "against firearms"...I probably don't like them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
    I just saw this thread and admittedly didn't read all 247 posts.

My answer to any LEO who asks such a stupid question would be: "Because I need to and I can."

Regarding family members who are "against firearms"...I probably don't like them anyway.
    Dittos on Lowjiber's comments. I carry because I can. If someone has a problem with it, I don't care.
    "They who give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1775

Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast