If an LEO asks why you carry... - Page 26
Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: If an LEO asks why you carry...

LEO has never asked me.

but if they did...

because i want to.....

because i can...

the rest of the reasoning and such i am sure they have heard before....the truth is i carry because i want to.....NEVER want to need it.....but want to be prepared....like the boy scouts

Quote Originally Posted by chiefpropellerhead View Post
    I think that carrying a concealed weapon is a personal choice. It is the same choice as any other. I have spent time in law enforcement and private security and I have seen the victims. I have decided that my family will not be a victim. Plain and simple. That does not mean that something can not happen but it does mean that when something happens that we will hopefully be prepared.

I have a friend of mine that proudly proclaims that he is a liberal tree hugging anti violence advocate. When he found out that I am carrying a concealed weapon he told me I am too paranoid. I told him I am not paranoid, I am prepared. I think that being a little paranoid goes hand in hand with being prepared but you don't have to be obsessed with it. My friend told me that he has never been in a situation where he needed a handgun and feels that he never will. He also said that handguns are only designed to hurt people and if the government would remove the citizenry of the right to have handguns then there would be a lot less violence. My only response to that was this. What about the criminal element that has no regard for the law and will carry guns and use them on the rest of the law abiding citizens that are now unarmed. It was almost as if that was a scenario that is not possible. Really?

I typically do not bring up the subject of concealed carry when I am out in public. I would prefer that people do not know that I am carrying a weapon. That way you don't have to get into long drawn out conversations about why I might be so paranoid. LOL
    It's essential that people do not know that you carry a weapon, unless you need to draw it. Someone, even close, will contrive an emergency or fabricate an incident out of it. It's amazing that many on this forum want to display a CCW badge to let the whole world know they carry.

4. Quote Originally Posted by antietam View Post
    It's essential that people do not know that you carry a weapon, unless you need to draw it. Someone, even close, will contrive an emergency or fabricate an incident out of it. It's amazing that many on this forum want to display a CCW badge to let the whole world know they carry.
    This has not been my experience. As I have gotten older, I find that my friends are almost without exception, either gun owners/enthusiasts, or neutral about guns.

I only have one friend who is completely anti-gun, but he doesn't bring the subject up unless asked. He has no problem hanging out with the rest of us gun owners, even whenever there are guns out.

As for family, I suspect my mom carries, but guns were never really brought up when I was a kid. To my knowledge, they didn't own guns. I am pretty sure I explored everywhere in the house, which is why it's good to have guns locked up. They had no problem with me taking a marksmanship class during summer camp.

I highly doubt anyone I know would make a scene for no reason. It's just so far out of character for my friends/family. Maybe I'm good at picking friends, but we can't pick our family.

Anyway, in short: "Don't worry so much!" :)

How in the world does this thread keep going? Either you go along with the LEO or you do not and never the twain shall mix. After 11 pages the comments have never changed and the opinions on both sides have never changed.

True Kelcarry,

But the new posters are expressing their opinions, new ones, for them.

I shot a match in Titusville, Feb; match, third Sunday of the month, there were two Deputy's on our squad, patched, laughed and joked along with the rest of the squad.

I am sure if any one would have brought that subject up, which they did not, no new reasons would have surfaced. They both were good shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    I'd ask him/her why they carry? After all the donut shop's safe, right?

I was once behind 4 of NYPD's finest in a donut shop and offered this advice..."don't get the powdered ones, really messes up the uniform" No sense of humor!

I try to be Opey Taylor (from mayberry) when I tell him "because a NYS Supreme Court Judge gave me a license to do so." End of conversation.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    I try to be Opey Taylor (from mayberry) when I tell him "because a NYS Supreme Court Judge gave me a license to do so." End of conversation.
    Don't you mean Andy Taylor? Opie was the little boy (played by Ron Howard)

Hey Scouse: Perhaps if members read the thread and the posts they would find their comments already written for them. This subject is not complicated and very simple. I also would comment on Antietam's comment that there seem to be too many people who cannot wait to show their CCWPs or badges or whatever. They scare me. They are the ones who somehow have been empowered, in their own mind, with some sort of pseudo-police powers that rise above the normal citizenry. What is it about "concealed" that they do not understand. Outside of an LEO, who, in certain states, has a legal right for you to indicate that you are CC when he is in the process of conducting "police business", concealed means concealed--period, end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    Don't you mean Andy Taylor? Opie was the little boy (played by Ron Howard)
    Yeah, little Opey. He was so polite and respectful (yes sir, no sir, etc).
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast