If an LEO asks why you carry... - Page 3
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: If an LEO asks why you carry...

Quote Originally Posted by fullofdays View Post
    all good responses. I'm catching a lot of flack for having a CWP and exercising my right to carry...

I made the mistake of asking some fellow members of my car club a holster question and got trolled upon for why I live in an area so dangerous that I need to carry, et al....

I told em it doesnt matter how nice the neighborhood, et al. and got into it with a few antis.
    Time for some new friends. Perhaps a car club for CCW holders only. Now the conversation about holsters would have more merit and perhaps hold your interest longer.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Hey JJ: Loved your last post. LEO: why do you carry? Me: Because you do. Carrying this a step further, if a relative or acquaintence asks "why do you carry?", you answer "why do LEOs carry?". When you get an answer to your question you turn to your relative and acquaintence and say "now you know why I carry" Gotta love these short, sweet, and to the point answers that, if you keep to saying just that, shortcircuits any further arguments or continuing conversations with someone who is agreeing to disagree with you on your choice.

I've carried for well over 20 years and never have been asked why. I don't make a point of advertising the fact and I believe that it is prudent not to for what I believe is obvious reasons having nothing to do with law enforcement and the like.

However, if asked, reply truthfully and in a short version. The replies I've seen here so far pretty much are ok, IMHO. I'd refrain from smart ass replies, however, because they will shed a dim light on us all. Most ask out of sheer curiosity with the exception of the antis and we know why they'd ask.

To someone asking as part of a conversation, if you want to get more detailed, that's the most appropriate time to do so. Personally, I'd use a true incident that happened to me in the fall just past. I was just driving home from an errand totally minding my own business when in someone's opinion, I was driving closer to their rear bumper than they liked. After spiking the brakes to get me to back off like some jerks do, I raised my hands up in a gesture saying "What's the problem?". His response was to hold a tire iron out of the window in a menacing manner. At the time, I was naked as I just ran out of the door to go on my errand and didn't bother taking a weapon. One cell call to the state police did result in a quick apprehension of said jackass, but I did fell pretty much powerless being menaced with a weapon of sorts and having little to defend myself with if he decided to stop his car in traffic and come back to me to take things to another level. He wasn't alone so the odds weren't exactly in my favor. Bottom line is that you can never tell what might happen from one minute to the next. It's a real shame that things are like this, but this is the stark reality that should be related to those that do not carry and wonder why we do. No rhetoric, no party lines, just plain reality.

LEO: "Your eyes look red... Have you been drinking?"
    Civilian: "Your eyes look glazed... Have you been eating donuts?"
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

6. LEO: Why do you carry?

Me: My pants are too big and I cant afford a smaller size.....

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex View Post
    leo: Why do you carry?

Me: My pants are too big and i cant afford a smaller size.....

wtf?
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

8. Look him straight in the eye and tell him- "Duh, Zombies"

Ha! I'm hilarious.

The real answer is easy. Point to his gun and say "Same reason you do, crime"

Quote Originally Posted by fullofdays View Post
    .... What is your response? Do you become specific or general in your defense for concealed carry? Do you state the second amendment verbatim?

What about a family member who is liberal and against firearms? Do you answer a family member in a different manner than a random person such as LEO?? I understand that decision is based on personal conviction, but how do you respond?
    Hmmm....to a Lion, here in Missouri, I will show him my CCW and tell him that I have a right to carry as he does.

To a family member or some nosey neighbours who now knows that we carry (many thanks to my very proud of me husband) I will just ask if they "want some chips with that..." knowledge. ha! I really think it is nobody's business if I carry nor not. If they are anti-gun, they better not be close to me if SHTF because I am going to protect me, not them...I have been practicing on how to change subjects, hopefully I can use them on antis.

In our last car club event, a woman and I were talking about the next even in March and I slipped and said we cannot go to the trip because it is at the same time as our Home Protection course. I did not expect she will understand that because she IS a Democrat but immediately, she pointed to her husband and said, "he is a gun nut." I just smiled. Later on, she called me to her husband who finished inspectiing a new car model and we talked about guns and ammo and ammo speed..., etc. Then I motioned for my husband to come and before we know it, there were more of us who were talking of guns. The only thing we did not do was "show and tell"...it was good know many of us carry...
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

10. I would say: To be a statistic. According to the FBI, the more legal guns in the area, the lower the violent crime rate, but the higher the property crime rate. I'd rather have my care broken into than to be robbed on the street. Just trying to keep the LEOs investigating breakins rather than murders :-)
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

I would not answer that question from a LEO during, say, a traffic stop. No reason to ask it or answer it. I would very politely completely ignore the question.

For friends who express an interest, I usually talk about the 2nd Amendment, safety, desire for additional responsibility, feeling of autonomy, freedom, etc.

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast