If an LEO asks why you carry... - Page 6
Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: If an LEO asks why you carry...

As a rule of thumb I try to avoid talking to LEO's.

3. I'm VERY new to the forum so my humble opinion may not carry much weight but I have been stopped twice by law LEOs for minor traffic infractions (did not even get a ticket on either) while carrying and in both cases I chose to inform the office that I was carrying legally before he noticed. My reasoning is that I'm quite certain that if I had his job he'd prefer not to be surprised. One of the officers did ask me why I carry and I responded "because you may not be here when or if I need you". He seemed quite satisfied with that answer.

Quote Originally Posted by fullofdays View Post
    .... What is your response? Do you become specific or general in your defense for concealed carry? Do you state the second amendment verbatim?

What about a family member who is liberal and against firearms? Do you answer a family member in a different manner than a random person such as LEO?? I understand that decision is based on personal conviction, but how do you respond?
    I will only tell a cop that "I am asserting my 5th admentment right to silence" and then I will shut up. I dont have anything to say to them at any time without my lawyer present. I will give them my id, CWP card, and my lawyers business card any time I am detained.
    I dont have any issues with any family members but I may someday be asked about it by a follow church member. If that day comes I would start by pointing out that (Mt 26:51) at least one of Jesus' disciples carried a sword. In addition most of the signers of the Declaration of Independance were preachers and they apparently thought it was an important issue. The main thing is kindness and politeness in the response at a church because people do have different opinions. I usually try to shut down any conversation about my personal CWP actions pretty quickly unless I am fairly confident about the persons standing on the issue. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by ems_kws; 03-14-2010 at 10:33 PM. Reason: o

Darn this thread, now I've got that silly "Why do ya drink?" country-western song stuck in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by fullofdays View Post
    all good responses. I'm catching a lot of flack for having a CWP and exercising my right to carry...

I made the mistake of asking some fellow members of my car club a holster question and got trolled upon for why I live in an area so dangerous that I need to carry, et al....

I told em it doesnt matter how nice the neighborhood, et al. and got into it with a few antis.
    I dont stay around my house all the time....

My answer to a leo would be simple. im legal to carry and i do so because you are not around. to a family member or friend. i would say i am legal to carry it is my right and i do so to protect my family and myself if i ever need to. to solve the friend and family issue is dont let them know you carry. i do suggest letting leos know tho especially in a traffic stop. like it was said earlier and we all know its better to tell them then for them to be suprised

Hey Barnwell: Good reply--you said it all in a few sentences. Having ridden along with an LEO on traffic patrol (in our town you can do this to your heart's content just by asking), particularly at night or watching Cops on TV, it becomes obvious that stopping a car can be a very dangerous experience and the LEO has got to be very wary and cautious at all times if he wants to go home after a shift. Put in his shoes, I wonder how some of these more vocal "constitutionalists" on this forum would react if confronted by a motorist who has already,from their perspective and evidence, committed a traffic infraction, and is now showing reluctance and some opposition to him when it comes to a firearm? I cannot believe that they would find that to be a fine example of our democratic system--they would be suspicious as all get out and would probably go the extra yard to ensure their safety and not the "constitutional rights" of the traffic violator.

I use the fire extinquisher one alot like mentioned before. Also better to have and not need then to need and not have.

I have CC for over 10 years and never had to pull. thank god! But I have a wife and four kids still at home and one out. I live outside the city limits and LEO would take 15 min or more to respond. So why do I carry? I think that says it all. I will exercise my right to carry as long as I can. I really hope that one of the anti's dont come calling for protection when the time comes. You know what my response would be!! Bottom line is its not anyones elses business if I CC or not.

10. I try very hard not to be in a situation where I need to answer that question. I dont advertise to anyone that I carry. You never know who will get pissed off at you and decide to call the issuing authority of your permits telling tales.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Barnwell: Good reply--you said it all in a few sentences. Having ridden along with an LEO on traffic patrol (in our town you can do this to your heart's content just by asking), particularly at night or watching Cops on TV, it becomes obvious that stopping a car can be a very dangerous experience and the LEO has got to be very wary and cautious at all times if he wants to go home after a shift. Put in his shoes, I wonder how some of these more vocal "constitutionalists" on this forum would react if confronted by a motorist who has already,from their perspective and evidence, committed a traffic infraction, and is now showing reluctance and some opposition to him when it comes to a firearm? I cannot believe that they would find that to be a fine example of our democratic system--they would be suspicious as all get out and would probably go the extra yard to ensure their safety and not the "constitutional rights" of the traffic violator.
    yes i agree i have ridden and worked with leos in the past and they are particular about one thing if someone is leagaly carrying just let them know if you do that most of the time there not even gona ask you to give it to them they will just say leave it there and dont touch it. these guys aint out after us alot of thema re glad we carry. i have multiple friends that are leos and they have told me on numberous occasions if it comes to a firefight in town and they dont have back up they hope a cc person is there. and as for family like i said dont let them know and no questions will be asked. hint concealed carry!

Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast